header delima...

-

hotairgypsy

Reaction score
well i am working on getting everything right on my new project...i got the car jacked up today and got under it and discovered a whole lot of crazyness...i cannot find a brand anywhere on the headers and there is clearly a hole in one of them...so trying to decide if i should just replace them or what...i have no idea if a new set leads me down the same path and no clearance...so i am assuming some of you have ran into this issue...what do you all suggest.

20220316_144453.jpg

20220316_150433.jpg

20220316_144458.jpg

20220316_153826.jpg

20220316_154220.jpg

Hit that **** with a hammer and take it to a muffler shop and have them weld a patch on that. Or you can cut the interference section out and have the shop cut in a straight section. I like those headers . They look a little different where they leave the driver side head if you want to ditch them.

I agree. Put a patch on the hole and then figure out why it is hitting the steering linkage. Maybe the motor mount is collapsing. Then drive it like you stole it.

Side note- if the engine is sitting proper and you want more clearance- buy better headers.

Maybe the motor mount
Those are the Jegs,Summit house brand. Common problem. Replace both engine mounts and the transmission mount.
Don't be surprised if you still have to ding that pipe in the same place even with new mounts.
Photo of Jegs house headers.
IMG_2856.jpg

Encountered that with the Hooker Comps that came on the Duster. Dimpled the contact spot for clearance, then welded the hole. Been running them ever since, 11 years now.

Pat

Back around 1980, my 24,000 mile Dart Sport had banged up and dented headers. I decided to replace them with some high dollar Hooker Competition Plus I think they were called. Had to dent at least one tube, maybe more, for steering linkage clearance. And, they still touched the steering, they rattled against the frame, and hung too low for speed bumps. I finally put stock manifolds on and was much happier.
20211006_001347.jpg

I used to install TTIs untll rust issues caused customers to expect warranty from me, no thanks. (Google it)
Now I strongly recommend Doug's . - no drama .

I like Dougs, but i've only used them on GM.

My TTI's are polished ceramic coated and 5+ years old. No issues as of yet (fingers crossed)

I like Dougs, but i've only used them on GM.

My TTI's are polished ceramic coated and 5+ years old. No issues as of yet (fingers crossed)

The rust issues were on Ceramics as well.
Daily drivers, - water would collect on top of the collectors causing really ugly brown stains on otherwise shiny headers .
Googled it , - lotsa complaints,
TTI wouldn't cover it even tho I was distributor, I said goodbye.
Doug's are superior quality and more cost efficient .

Last edited:
how do i find dougs? i found TTI

Doug's is carried by most parts retailers like Summit and Jegs. AutoZone also sells them, every now and then they have 15% or 20% off sales for online purchases which you can use. I bought a set of ceramic-coated D453's for my '70 Duster back in November when they were having a sale.

Some have had issues with AutoZone being out of stock or shipping super late, I had no issues myself but one way around that is to have Summit price-match the sale price from AutoZone and just buy it through them instead.

the whole time i thought doug was a forum member who sold them...not a name of an actual brand...sowwie....ill do better next time :)

Steel soup can, with both ends cut off, and a slit cut down the side. Wrap the tube with the hole.. Add two hose clamps.
I've done it before.......

Not really a serious suggestion...... but I have really done it!

well i ran with your suggestion and orders some dougs...i will figure out what clearance i will need after i get them in and mock them up

I wish I lived next door; I wouldda trades a 12pack for those old ones.

Your solution might be same as mine; I run the later steering with the down firing studs. This involves just three parts; the pitman, the idler, and the centerlink. The tierods are all the same.

-
Back