Headers and spark plugs

-

soaringcowman

Reaction score
Hey guys i'm new to this forum, i've got my self a 1971 Plymouth Duster, 318 car. I just put a set of headman headers on it, and i'm having spark plug issues on the driver rear, i searched for answers but didn't really find anything that helped, So what did you guys do for the rear two driver side spark plugs for clearence with the header. Thanks ALOT guys...Adam

I may have a little more room in my ebody than you. but i stick my socket on the plugs, and use a short either crescent wrench or 7/8" stubby wrench and just turn the top of the plug socket.

And are you asking about your plug wires hitting tubes?

summit sells these kind of rails that work well on both sides
teen2.jpg

teen2.jpg

teen2.jpg

Welcome to the board.

I have Hookers. Near exact as yours. I have had Headmans as well.

Remove the valve cover to gain greater clearance. Use the reuseable Mopar rubber covered steel gaskets for the valve covers.

Theres also a trick to put the spark plug socket on and use a wrench to install/remove the plugs.

As far as wires go, 90-* boot end with a heat sleave will keep it cooler and safe from burning. Though you should still make sure the wires do not touch the headers at all.

You can route the wires under the tube or stuff them cross ways next to each other. Then up, straight up that is over the valve cover.

back when I had smallblock abodies with headers, I made a special wrench for the back two cylinders on the driver's side. I took a long, cheap, sheetmetal type of plug socket and if I remember correctly cut it off around plug height on an angle. The I welded a handle on it. I could get those two plugs out faster than the others with it. Use a little ingenuity.

I used the plug socket with wrench too , you might want to try using a rachet end wrench...not sure if it would fit. Have not tried that since I got some rachet wrenches. Would definatly make it easier if they fit !!

Hey guys i'm new to this forum, i've got my self a 1971 Plymouth Duster, 318 car. I just put a set of headman headers on it, and i'm having spark plug issues on the driver rear, i searched for answers but didn't really find anything that helped, So what did you guys do for the rear two driver side spark plugs for clearence with the header. Thanks ALOT guys...Adam

The easiest thing to do is use Magnum engine plugs. They have a 5/8" hex outer body but otherwise are the same. You can go straight in from above with a 5/8" plug socket and extension.

I like autolite plugs the number to get is a 3924 and if you want to go one heat range colder a 3923.

Also, with the Hedman headers get a couple of plug wires with 90 degree boots for cylinders # 5 and 7 and route the wire under the header tube to the plug.

-
Back