headers

-

68dodge

Reaction score
I want to change headers on my 65 dart with a 360. I have fenderwell headers now. What kind fit nice and do you have any pictures.

Good luck with the search. The only ones I have been able to find are Doug's and he is real proud of them. $$$$ You can check them out on Summit's site. I have heard rumors that TTI has a set for early A's but have not been able to confirm that.

For underchassis headers you have 2 1/2 choices. TTI, Dougs and Spitfire. TTI are ridiculously expensive, very well made and may require a really expensive starter. Dougs are ridiculously expensive, well made and may not require a special starter. Neither of these work well with power steering, and 4 speed linkage is a hassle. Spitfires are made by a shadetree guy named Harold. He makes a batch when he makes a batch, ships them every now and then, so you headers are some priority behind his day job and whatever else he is doing. Pre-pay with caution.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

I have the hooker 5208 chassis exit headers on my Dart since 2000. Also using the standard chrysler mini starter

Bob

1964-66 273 Abody manifolds work nice, especially, if you are mostly
using the car for street driving, vs as an all out race car. ;)

I am using a 318 with # 302 heads, and a .430/.450 Mopar cam,
duals off the stock 273 manifolds. I am using a copper exhaust gasket
on the drivers side.

I am using a small Mopar stater ala/ 2002 Dakota style.

6f40.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud8mci4rjFU

1964-66 273 Abody manifolds work nice,

not on a 360 they don't. Ever see how small those 273 manifolds are on a 360 port. They are ok for a 318 but that's about it.

Tti needs a special starter from what I understand
dougs are smaller tubes then tti I believe but you can also use a standard starter I believe.
Spitfires are a nice piece. If you order those make sure you use the COD option.

I have the Spitfire headers on my 360 drag car and am very happy with the way they look and fit. I use the ND starter with them with no problem. I heard somewhere that the original supplier of the Spitfire headers no longer makes them and that Layson's bought the rights/tooling and is now the one who does. Anyone know for sure? You can see how mine fit on the thread: "I finally have a photo to post" in the early A-body section. Mine has manual steering and an automatic with no factoory shift linkage so there is good clearence. I doubt you could get them to fit on a P/S car but shift and clutch linkage should fit OK by the looks of it. Good Luck!
Thanks, Mark

I heard somewhere that the original supplier of the Spitfire headers no longer makes them and that Layson's bought the rights/tooling and is now the one who does. Anyone know for sure?

i believe harold is still making them...

laysons was making a copy of them a few years ago and selling them for stupid high prices. bunch of freaking crooks man..

not to hijack this thread but, do the TTIs and Dougs have issues with power steering on the 67-69 Barracudas, or only the earlier ones?

Whatever you decide -- I might be interested in your headers if you find something else you like better and you're inclined to get rid of yours.
Back in the early 70"s I had a 64 Barracuda with fenderwell headers and it ran awesome.

i have TTI`s on my 65 dart and they are a tight fit.i have torque limiters on the engine and use them to pull the engine down because i was getting noise through my column from the headers touching it. the starter they tell you you need did not work for me. with my 8 inch converter it hit the converter bolts so i used a stock type mini starter. Bradley

273 Manifolds are barely enough for a stock 273. Very restrictive. The 318 in my '65 Valiant is just about a carbon copy of Cavemanmoron's engine and I am in the process of replacing them with Spitfires. No, I did not send Harold any money up front. He said he would call me with a tracking number and then I should send him a money order.
The Other Bob

1964-66 273 Abody manifolds work nice, especially, if you are mostly
using the car for street driving, vs as an all out race car. ;)

I am using a 318 with # 302 heads, and a .430/.450 Mopar cam,
duals off the stock 273 manifolds. I am using a copper exhaust gasket
on the drivers side.

I am using a small Mopar stater ala/ 2002 Dakota style.

6f40.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud8mci4rjFU

is your car unmuffled? its nearly a duplicate to my engine combo but seems alot louder, even than when I had my nasty 3" stuff

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=28818014

is your car unmuffled? its nearly a duplicate to my engine combo but seems alot louder, even than when I had my nasty 3" stuff

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=28818014

Using Dynomax Super Turbos, 2 1/4" pipes,
{starts at the stock manifolds as the stock size}.

The compression is up slightly, from the #302 heads,
on the 318, and it does have the Mopar P4452759 cam.

Cam Style Hydraulic flat tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range 1,200-5,200
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift 221
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift 228
Duration at 050 inch Lift 221 int./228 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration 260
Advertised Exhaust Duration 268
Advertised Duration 260 int./268 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.430 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.450 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.430 int./0.450 exh. lift
Lobe Separation (degrees) 110

I have Dougs with my 360 and they have worked well but the primaries and collectors are kinda small. Drivers side t bar has to be pulled back to install header but standard mini starter works good. I am going to try the tti headers when I put the 408 in it. roadrunnereds, the stock mini starter will work with the tti's, is that correct?

Using Dynomax Super Turbos, 2 1/4" pipes,
{starts at the stock manifolds as the stock size}.

The compression is up slightly, from the #302 heads,
on the 318, and it does have the Mopar P4452759 cam.

Cam Style Hydraulic flat tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range 1,200-5,200
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift 221
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift 228
Duration at 050 inch Lift 221 int./228 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration 260
Advertised Exhaust Duration 268
Advertised Duration 260 int./268 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.430 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.450 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.430 int./0.450 exh. lift
Lobe Separation (degrees) 110

sounds like the only real diff. is the carb, and exhaust piping/muffs. have you advanced the cam yet? mine is advanced 4 deg. and it really woke it up and made it love 6000+ RPM. my shift point is 7000 sooooo...... it does need new springs tho, probly stock 340 springs and retainers

66dartman i could not use the special starter on my 360 it hit converter bolts. I used a stock mini starter on my dart. there is a tube that all but touches the starter. Bradley

If I could throw out a question, does anybody have a comment (good, bad or otherwise) regarding the Dynomax 86035 ceramic headers for small blocks (WLK-86035 @$345.95 from Summit)? Would these help the thread originator?

Unlike the more affordable headers that require disassembly of the steering linkage and kill the ground clearance, will these give the same kind of clearance that the expensive Dougs/TTI units do?

At first glance, these seem to be a middle ground but I thought I should inquire first.

those headers are for 67-76 a-bodies, e-bodies, and some b and f bodies, they will not fit early a bodies. early a bodies being 63-66.

I ordered the Hedman Huslers part#75110-66 for my 66 Dart with P&P Eddy RPM heads,on a 408.The primary tubes are 1 7/8(for breathing)their also ceramic coated to keep the heat down.Hope they work!:toothy10:

-
Back