headlights always on high beams

-

1badpap

Reaction score
When I pull on my headlight switch on my 71 Valiant, the headlights are always on high beams. I replaced the dimmer switch. No change. I used a test light at the bulb and I have 2 hots and 1 ground. Could it be the headlight switch itself?

that's an odd one.. never heard of this but I suppose it is possible.. did this come out of no where? did you do some wiring recently?

Someone has hacked the wiring, or the harness has an internal melt, or otherwise "crossed up." Either that or your "new" dimmer is also defective.

Power to the headlight switch for ONLY the lights comes off the black ammeter wire NOT FUSED.

Through the HL switch and down to the DIMMER switch. From there hi and lo is selected, fed out through the bulkhead connector, around the harness to the rad support and to the headlights.

right right... so no way is it the switch.. off, parking lights, head lights.. switch does not control high/low..

Check continuity at dimmer switch with wires disconnected as well. Center green wire to each output, red and violet. Only one of the outputs should be connected in each dimmer position.

The bulkhead connector may be melted and getting cross contact.

Check continuity at dimmer switch with wires disconnected as well. Center green wire to each output, red and violet. Only one of the outputs should be connected in each dimmer position.

The bulkhead connector may be melted and getting cross contact.
Thanks . I will check it out tonight.

Who cares man? It's not like our headlights on high beam even come close to low beam on modern cars. :wtf:

Who cares man? It's not like our headlights on high beam even come close to low beam on modern cars. :wtf:

With a relay kit you may be surprised how effective even the factory bulbs can be!

Threads almost ten hours old and nobody thought about high beams. Lemmie do it for you.

LINDA.jpg

I can buy those kits from China for about $3 a unit. I chose to build a better quality piece instead. I've had a couple of those as samples... If you choose to go the cheap way, I suggest you take it completely apart, inspect, correct every crimp and add an additional fused power circuit. They also tell you to connect it to a bad spot on an OEM wired mopar... Other than that, it's ready to go!

I can buy those kits from China for about $3 a unit. I chose to build a better quality piece instead. I've had a couple of those as samples... If you choose to go the cheap way, I suggest you take it completely apart, inspect, correct every crimp and add an additional fused power circuit. They also tell you to connect it to a bad spot on an OEM wired mopar... Other than that, it's ready to go!
That was the first i have seen of them,I was looking fr something like those do you know of other types made?

that's an odd one.. never heard of this but I suppose it is possible.. did this come out of no where? did you do some wiring recently?

right right... so no way is it the switch.. off, parking lights, head lights.. switch does not control high/low..
I just got the car and of course there are some electrical issues. dead fuel gauge , lights on high beam , no horn through the steering wheel. It doesnt look like the wiring was messed with a whole lot except when someone put a cassette player in years ago. I have some things to try. Ive already got a lot of info on this forum. Im just trying to be super careful with 45 year old wiring not to rip and tear . Thanks.

get a GOOD wiring diagram - if you have to, go through it wire by wire....
I "usually" mention this. OP...........go over to MyMopar and download the factory service manual as well as aftermarket wiring diagrams over there FREE. Some of them there came from the guys here at FABO

I just got the car and of course there are some electrical issues. dead fuel gauge , lights on high beam , no horn through the steering wheel. It doesnt look like the wiring was messed with a whole lot except when someone put a cassette player in years ago. I have some things to try. Ive already got a lot of info on this forum. Im just trying to be super careful with 45 year old wiring not to rip and tear . Thanks.
Did you check all the ground wires to the headlights? A bad ground will cause this. Seen it before.

-
Back