............heads.........

-

oldkimmer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
..............I need a set of new heads for a 340 build......stock 1970 specs except for a 270H comp magnum cam....LD340 intake...using stock ex manifolds......whats the best bang for the buck..........thanks....kim.......

Why not just have the old ones properly redone for performance? I'd say the EQs but I'm not certain the hipo manifolds will seal properly on them. maybe others can comment on that.

.............Thanks cracked, moper, up here they want about a grand to put in ex seats, guides and valve job......extra if needing valves.........this is in a set of X heads.......kim....

By the time you get a stock set of heads up and going, you could've bought a set of aftermarket heads for cheaper (this was the case for when it came to my x heads vs my eddy heads).

...............Thats y i'm looking.............kim.......

If you are willing to spend that money to rebuild stock heads go with the Eddys. But, if you want to save a few bucks go with the RHS heads. That said I like aluminum heads and higher compression!

Depends on what you want to spend,what you expect.Stock heads,all lines up,no major changes.Eddys,pushrod length.Not sure what you want out of it.

I thin kif it's cost that's driving the purchase, anything more than EQs will exceed the cost of redoing the X heads. Especially given you're in Canada.

You haven't mentioned rockers but I'd go LAX RHS. The EQs will need different rockers and the intake redrilling.

Neither the RHS website nor Summit lists any Mopar head applications

Neither the RHS website nor Summit lists any Mopar head applications

Here's the specs if you want to read them. I think you have to buy them from Indy now.

[ame]http://www.racingheadservice.com/whatsnew/files/rhsindy360xheads.pdf[/ame]

Yeah, Indy is sole provider now. But remember, they come bare. You pay extra for the assembling. Talk to OU812 here for info, if nothign else. The EQ heads require stock Magnum rockers and hollow pushrods, along with new lifters. Those parts will more than likely need or be getting replaced anyway.
I still think the ultimatel;y cheapest way out is doing the X heads over. Don't get me wrong, the newer heds are better, but by the time they are on the car running they will be more expensive and require more stuff.

Just stay as far away from aeroheads as possible. Great price for crap

i have a set of j heads i will sell for 400.00 been ported and ready to go..

For my 360 Magnum build I narrowed it down to RHS or EQ, not sure which yet. I ruled out Eddy based on many comments that they should be gone over before install (more $$) due to poor quality assembly, and because aluminum should have more compression to get the same performance (more $$).

For my 360 Magnum build I narrowed it down to RHS or EQ, not sure which yet. I ruled out Eddy based on many comments that they should be gone over before install (more $$) due to poor quality assembly, and because aluminum should have more compression to get the same performance (more $$).

Please, I'm only trying to be helpful and not argumentative.

#1) Any pair of heads you buy should be gone through to assure quality assembly.

#2) It is NOT TRUE that aluminum heads require more compression to get the same performance. You hear that all the time, but no one can point you to any article that shows that happens with a water cooled, internal combustion engine.

However:

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0602_iron_versus_aluminum_cylinder_heads_test/viewall.html

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/83858_iron_vs_alloy_engine_heads/index.html

Jim LaRoy
LaRoy Engines
Challis, ID

I claim no expertise here, its just what gets talked about. I do know at least some of the Eddy heads are poorly put together as I've seen the pics, but maybe thats true of the others as well. If so its not reported much.

Sometimes the facts are hard to pin down. I'll definitely take a read through the articles.

-
Back