Hedman tight tubes

-

bblock383

Reaction score
Hi all, gotta question about these tight tubes for early A's. I checked these out a few years ago when it was a popular topic which now seems to have dwindled but I'm now in a position where I'm looking at an alternative to crappy 273 manifolds and I need to get this particular thing figured out before the engine gets set in the car. Engine is a 360 /w PS btw. Question I have is that years ago when I was eyeing these headers here was a lot more info about fitting them in an early A and the modifications to do so and now I cannot seem to find hardly anything anymore.

There was a page that covered the modifiying of the drivers side header with pics and good descriptions but it seems to have just disappeared. Searched this site as well and those threads seem to have gone also. I have found a few pics of it and I believe I have the idea down, doesn't seen overly complicated, but want to make sure before I spend the money and start cutting on new headers. I used to see them for sale semi-often on this site as well and they appear to have dried up so I'm curious if that's because its not a popular idea anymore or what. Anyway does anyone still have any of that info or can just give first hand experience at doing the mods and the pitfalls of making it work?

It's not an early A but I have a set on my '70 Duster. The fit of the headers themselves was fine, only had to hammer them on this latest install because the driver side was hitting the truck motor mount bosses on my Magnum block and the bottom edge of the cylinder head (Edelbrocks). The tricky part is getting the exhaust pipes off the headers routed; the collectors exit straight down and it's tough getting pipes to fit over the steering linkage. I initially had the pipes routed under the linkage and they scraped on EVERYthing. I'll post a pic of my setup shortly...

IMO they'd work much better on a truck, some day I'll get an old Dodge pickup and put these on that then maybe upgrade the Duster to some Doug's long tubes.

Tough to get a good underneath shot but hopefully these help... I had to fab my own down pipes using one of those exhaust pipe "donuts" as well as Sandersen offset collectors which reduced the pipe diameter down to 2 1/4". After the downpipes it goes into 2 1/2" duals.

20190508_174606.jpg

20190508_174656.jpg

20190508_174720.jpg

Tough to get a good underneath shot but hopefully these help... I had to fab my own down pipes using one of those exhaust pipe "donuts" as well as Sandersen offset collectors which reduced the pipe diameter down to 2 1/4". After the downpipes it goes into 2 1/2" duals.

View attachment 1715332547

View attachment 1715332548

View attachment 1715332549

Did you have to end up doing the #1 primary mod like us early A guys have to do? one of your top down pics almost looks like you did.

Anyone else still running these headers or planning to? What was the process like getting them to fit? Did the engine have to be loosened and lifted or did it fit ok after the primaries were moved around? I have seen in a few other threads about the head pipe matching up and what it took to make it fit but would like more input on what had to be done. Thanks all

Did you have to end up doing the #1 primary mod like us early A guys have to do? one of your top down pics almost looks like you did.

I didn't touch the #1 tube, it was only #3 and #5 I had to clearance for the head.

I did jack the driver side of the engine up a couple inches, made it a bit easier to get that side in but still not that bad. It honestly looks a lot closer to the steering box than it actually is. I know the early A-bodies are narrower so it's likely you might have to clearance it a bit there. I personally don't mind denting headers because coatings are kinda overrated IMHO and Engine Masters proved denting your headers robs zero power.

Sell the headers you have and buy a set of TTI headers. They are a ***** to put in but they fit without modifications. Call TTI for info they are good folks to deal with.

Sell the headers you have and buy a set of TTI headers. They are a ***** to put in but they fit without modifications. Call TTI for info they are good folks to deal with.

Well that would be ok but the idea of spending more than 1k for headers is not something i can handle. Even if I had the money. But I don't which is why I'm looking at these tight tubes since they are about $250 right now new. Got a guy that will do the mods to the primary and collector and may not charge anything. Also I don't have headers already just manifolds no one would want. Now down the road after I drive the car for a few years with this new engine I may try and go with something more pricey, but at this point with as much as the engine will flow, using a 273 manifold is just not gonna happen. The tight tubes I'm sure don't flow the best out of all the header options available but they are much better than the manifolds.
Since the info has apparently disappeared I may just have to give it a shot and see what happens. I believe I have the general idea of the mods and where they need to be done.

Last edited:
What about the Hooker 5208 long-tubes?
The driver's side sends one (or Two; can't remember) of those primaries thru the apron and down the outside of the frame, then merges with the others.
Edit; I guess both sides send at least two
EARLY A body hooker header install P/N 5208 UPDATE!

Hooker 5208-1HKR Hooker Super Competition Full Length Fenderwell Exit Header - Ceramic Coated
View attachment 1715333603

Sometimes I wish I'd be ok with fenderwells since they are in more abundance for these cars. If my car wasn't as original as it is and as decent of shape as it is I'd just shortcut it and get fenderwells. I've thought many times about buying a crappier early A just so I could hack away at it without guilt. I have many ideas for these cars, things like improving aerodynamics and airflow in and out of the engine and engine bay but of course I would need the freedom to cut on the car without guilt. Bit of a curse I guess. Anyway don't want to cut up the car for headers which is why the only option I really see are these tight tubes. They are cheap enough and will fit with a little massaging.
So has everyone abandoned these headers for TTi's or some other more expensive option? Are they just using the stock manifolds and forgetting it? I have personally been looking for a affordable header option for 20 years for this car as had most every other early A guy back then, I would think this would be the popular option? Well I think I may buy them and give it a go. I wonder if theres any interest in having a sticky thread on making these headers work perhaps? I could record everything and maybe get that info back out there. Just a thought.

-
Back