HEI 1 Wire Dizzy Conversion in my 69 SB Dart

-

kc0r8y

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to do the HEI 1 wire conversion on my stroked 360, 69 Dart. Does anyone know of a reputable brand and model all in one Dizzy that will clear my stock firewall and a standard 14 inch air cleaner? I'd like to get one that had everything right in it so I can eliminate as much as possible.

I know this setup will eliminate the Ballist Resistor and Orange Mopar ignition boxes, but how would I go about ditching the voltage regulator?

Thanks in advance
Ken

XATRyniGPjDRl5QjmKJvnnydDtwW9L4QyHNT4C0ajqvJaP4RzAae186Pe3_6cCWndowRJp6ct2EXd40QVRQ=w712-h949-no.jpg

p7psamtrqQGVBEkYqPPMERvpeTZ8qpp_qNsYk6IC7MRLF4Wv4X3HrxsmnN5N8L__pXoo5279wHyh9egqUFE=w712-h949-no.jpg

Literally everything inside the distributor would be the large cap GM type.
Sometimes they do hit the wiper motor, sometimes they barely clear it, and this specific pic came from Summit Racing.
Do a net search for Mopar small block HEI distributor and you can find lots of choices.

The regulator needs to stay no matter what you do with the ignition.

sum-850034_ml.jpg

You can keep your stock dizzy and do an HEIconversion...keeps the small cap and rotor but you still need a coil.

Last edited:
I would get the $45 Ningbo "ready to run" distributor (ebay). You do need an external e-core coil, but that seems better than trying to squeeze the giant "coil in cap" distributor against the firewall. GM changed to that ("small cap" distributor) in 1985. You should upgrade to an electronic Vreg, which you should have done for the Mopar ECU upgrade. You can buy such Vreg's that will fit your 1969 wiring harness (see rockauto) and some look like your black factory one.

Have this in backup ,when old school capacitor MSD fails.. To be honest: Met Trailbeast/AKA "Greg " in person , and drove his car . The kit he sells I drove, in IT'S NICE. He does take pride ,in his acheivements. It shows, when you look at , ride ,and drive his car. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one ,if my MSD finally dies.

The 3 speed wiper motor being 90 degree offset provides a lot more clearance. Worth the cost and effort to accommodate a GM type distributor is a matter of opinion.
There are internally regulated alternators also. Some examples appear to have a small regulator hanging on the back of them. Anything is possible with enough money spent.

Somewhere, in a universe not very far away, and not so long ago, some idiot coined the "word" "dizzy." I would sure have liked to have been there to "suggest" an alternate "terminology."

This evidently also lead to "carbie" (carby?) I have no idea what that is.

Somewhere, in a universe not very far away, and not so long ago, some idiot coined the "word" "dizzy." I would sure have liked to have been there to "suggest" an alternate "terminology."

This evidently also lead to "carbie" (carby?) I have no idea what that is.
Today any distributor can be considered as/called out as "cam position sensor". AKA CPS ? IDK LOL

Dizzy and Carby are obvious Australian abbreviations (and who's the dipshit who made up that word anyway). Every country has developed its silly slang words.

When you want to get rid of the voltage regulator then simply install a later model alternator from a Jap car. They usually have the regulator mounted internally so there are only 1 or 2 wires going to the alt.

-
Back