Hello from the great green north

-

CarGuy821

Reaction score
Hi All,
So here I am, my first A body. I always had F body Aspen and Volare’s before but now have a 1974 Duster which I bought on EBay a few weeks ago. Well it was advertised as a Solid car, but as it turns out it wasn’t quite as solid as I was told and now I have a bit of a project on my hands... :banghead:
The first job I have to tackle is the floor pan, so I am going to be depending on your expertise and group knowledge a lot as I take on my “little” project. The driver’s side floor is shot, the passenger side has a few small holes and the tunnel is solid. I am really considering the AMD floor pans, but I have never replaced a whole floor pan before. Although more work, I am really more comfortable working one side at a time as the thought of cutting out a whole floor really is daunting. Do any of you have experience in this? And what are your thoughts???

Looking forward to hearing from you...

Martin

Welcome in, fellow Canuck!

Well it was advertised as a Solid car, but as it turns out it wasn’t quite as solid as I was told and now I have a bit of a project on my hands...

How many times have we seen this scenario?

the thought of cutting out a whole floor really is daunting.

I replaced the whole floor in my former '65 Valiant convertible, but I had an original ,mint factory pan to replace it with, so it fit perfectly. I've never used AMD pans before, but I hear they are pretty good. If I was you, I'd take out my old floorpan at the spotwelds, and weld in the new one there too. Transfer all the original gussetts and stiffening ribs to the new pan.

Here's some pics of the ol' girl....
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=2056

Get yourself a couple spotweld cutters,cut out all the spotwelds.This will help installing a replacement pan much easier and a cleaner job.Napa sells seam sealer also.good luck.

Welcome to one of the interesting mopar sites you'll ever find.
Moe
By the way where the heck is Whitby???

Welcome to FABO!
I'm looking forward to the build pics of your Duster.
Maybe do a search here for the floor pan work that you are doing in the member's restoration threads. There should be lots of info you can use there.

Hi All,

Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice. I think I am going to go with the full AMD floor as I think it will give the best results.

Also, I was asked to post a few pictures...
0003.jpg
. Not sure yet how to upload to the forum so I put them in a photobucket album at http://photobucket.com/my74duster if you want see more

Cheers,
Martin

welcome aboard , Not to state the obvious another thought might be to tack weld some angle across the span in a couple of places like rocker to rocker and as long as your comfy with the welder may I suggest Sub-frame connectors ?

Thanks, Moepar I like it too... it has it's issues but there is so much solid stuff on it as well that it is worth the resto... it'll just take a little longer then I expected.

Hey Cannucky, yeah, that is something I was thinking about but the idea of cutting up a brand new floor to weld in the frame connectors puts a lump in my throat.

I am still tossed I need to figure out where I want to go with the car... Part of me wants to restofy it. You know make it look basically stock but with a twist. Repaint it the original frosty green and keep the school bus green interior (yeah still not sure about that one). I was thinking about putting on Wheel Vintiques ralley wheels or magnums, they offer them up to 10" widths and I think it would really cool having that "factory" look but with a fat drag radial stuffed in the rear and a skinny in the front. I have a buddy with a smoking little 340 for sale for a decent price... still it all adds up and I have to pace myself. For now, my priority is to fix the floor and replace carpet, headliner. I need to get some headers and an exhaust on the car and replace some fuel and brake lines.

I need to order my carpet and headliner so can I get a vote... Green Bench Seat Interior or Black Buckets and Console?

Hey OLDFARTSDART... Missed the question sorry... Whitby is actually outside of a large GM town called Oshawa just east of Toronto Ontario. Yeah, I grew up as a Mopar boy in a GM town. In the late 80's I built a 1978 Dodge Aspen R/T and stuffed a 440 in it. Everyone said it couldn't be done. That car ran a best time of 11.67 @ 118mph with a 1.52 60 foot time and back then I think that was pretty respectable.

Yeah I was talking about doing tje connectors while doing the floor ,there's some pretty slick ones out that conform to tje floor real nice ,I know what you.mean about pacing I have a habit of forgetting that lol

LOL... Yeah... the mind is running a million miles an hour and I keep thinking about all the things I WANT to do... I have to focus on the things I NEED to do.

Floor first, Floor First, Floor First...

I am just happy to find a group of people that have experience with these cars...

-
Back