Help!! Balljoint pulled out of control arm.

-
Thought I would update this thread since I haven't been on the site much or working on the Dart either.

After my buddy tack welded the ball joint back into place, we reassembled everything. As we were torquing down the front lug nuts, my buddy stripped one with the torque wrench?!? Great. After further inspection, we determined that the studs weren't long enough and that only about three threads were engaging. I looked on line and found some studs that were 3/8 " but that was all I could find so we bought those. Turns out, the lug nuts that Summit Racing recommends on their website to fit my wheels didn't have a deep enough shank to fully engage the threads. Their site recommends .550 shank length, but a .750" reaches all the way into the wheel without bottoming out. Soooooo, I bought twelve more lug nuts (because they come in fours) and that solved THAT problem.

Yesterday we took the car to work and put it back on the alignment machine and got everything into spec. I still need to do some fab work on an emergency cable bracket. But the car is drivable again for the first time in two years. I plan on enjoying it some before the summer heat sets in.

-
Back