Help evaluating this car...69 DART

-
Oh, and if you buy it, do whatever you want. Nobody has any say in your choices. They may not like it, but that's all.

Later model magnum motors are cheap and easy to build horsepower....Other wise go buy a Nova...
Talked to local auto recycler he called it a hot rod package 6.4 liter motor tranny harness 7500 $$

You can buy a whole 6.0 liter LS pickup 1500$$$ ? You decide .

15:000 $ wow and no tranny yet I want your job :thumbsup:

Well, the guy asked what is 'the hot setup, it's just an option. It's not a bad deal really if you're thinking about a modern drivetrain. Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

But hey, that high roller bling ain't for you cause you're the baller yanking small blocks out of $1,500 150K mile trucks, bolting it in a Dart and going in the 9s at 145.

If you're making a drag car, why not buy something not so pristine and let this go to a daily driver type buyer. Hell, you'll likely end back halfing, tubbing, opening wheel wells, frame connecting, tubular k-member etc. This sounds like a nice made for driving car.

Just an opinion.

No, I would never back half this car, frame strengthening probably. Tub maybe and only if necessary. Would NEVER cut the fenders or take away from the stock look of the body. would keep glass windows. Its nauseating to see a car like this w/the fenders cut out to fit a drag slick. Yeah, its got potential to do anything from daily driver to drags. I didn't know there was this much of a following for the 6 cyl cars though.

What are your goals with this car? How fast are you trying to go? Is there a specific class you want to run? Giving some info on your plans might help us give you a better answer.

my last ls was setup for pure drag duty and ran 9s. For this car, not 100% sure yet, but I'm thinking a very stock looking body for sure on outside, with a bullet proof drive train (ie at least a strong setup) I could drag race w/slicks. This car would also be streetable (local use). turbo not out of the question to ease making power.

Later model magnum motors are cheap and easy to build horsepower....Other wise go buy a Nova...

and those engines could be an option but I doubt it because they are just "another" late model engine...btw, I've already had a 68 Nova and it had a small block chevy just in case there are any chevy loyalists on this site. I actually don't care much for the Nova styling, though you may.

I suppose location has a lot to do with the value of a car. And people will pay for something they want rather it is "worth" it or not.

My 2 cents
If you want to chop grind and weld and make a super fast drag car find yourself a Vega
Cool cheap easy street cruiser get a 4th generation camaro
Faster than greased lightning excellent handling rally car drop it in a 300zx
Or drop it in the dart, put a ford 9 inch under it,cut a hole in the hood for a trans am hood scoop, get some of those stick on Buick ventaports from auto zone, paint it green and call it Frankenstein"(DUBS and grapefruit shooter optional)

What's the hot setup? An LS engine. Hate to admit it, but it's true. They can be built cheaper and make more power per dollar spent. The car also does not have to be "butchered" to do the job right.

All that said, I cannot STAND LS swaps into things they didn't come in. But facts are facts.

No, I would never back half this car, frame strengthening probably.

Frame connectors would be a good start.

Tub maybe and only if necessary. Would NEVER cut the fenders or take away from the stock look of the body. Its nauseating to see a car like this w/the fenders cut out to fit a drag slick.

But it's not nauseating to put an LS in it?

Darts have limited room for wheels, not a good choice for a larger tire. Anything over a 255/60-15 requires moving spring perches, mini tub etc. Not a minor consideration.

I didn't know there was this much of a following for the 6 cyl cars though.

There is a dedicated Slant crowd but not for something like this. The uproar comes from you suggesting a brand X motor in a Dart. You gotta be a dedicated Mopar guy to roll in an A body, even dyed-in-the-wool Chrysler guys look down on the them. Kick a man when he's down or put an LS in a Dart. Same thing.

my last ls was setup for pure drag duty and ran 9s. For this car, not 100% sure yet, but I'm thinking a very stock looking body for sure on outside, with a bullet proof drive train (ie at least a strong setup) I could drag race w/slicks. This car would also be streetable (local use). turbo not out of the question to ease making power.

Hellcat motor, low deck or burly small block stroker will get you in the 9s. Get the car to 3,000 lbs or under. It will cost you about 30K to get that car safely where you want it.

Again though, room is limited in an A body so if you choose anything other than a small block, you will have clearance hurdles. 69 Dart was available with a 383 so it's not that big of a stretch. Low deck stroker is probably the most realistic way to make a Dart fast and be srteetable.

ad states he has a 400 for cheap, buy the whole package, build the 400 ($4,000) and burn tires till your bored with it. Resale is going to be way easier with a mopar engine in it. IF you put a chevy in it your going to find it almost impossible to get rid of later and have to give it away. So your options are spend money now to have a killer car (mopar engine) or build it the way you described and lose money later. Math can be tough sometimes, what to do, What to do?

My opinion,.... You can do whatever you want, and it is definitely worth the $2500. I'm not trying to give you crap, or shame you, but personally, I would never consider putting an LS in this car. It appears to be in nice condition and cutting it apart to make a "Pro-Street" with any motor would be a shame.

I understand that the LS is a good setup, and is extremely popular amongst hotrodders building custom cars that have no brand loyalty, but they just aren't my thing. I was recently watching an older episode of Bitchin Rides where they were building that old blue custom Continental. Even Chris on that show was arguing against putting an LS motor in it and admitted that they are good motors, but it just isn't "Cool".

They used to say that "Camaros were like a$$holes,.... everyone has them". The same could be said about LS motors. Does it work, and are they good setups? Absolutely, but every time I see a hood open and see that same old modern LS setup, I can't help but sigh.

Let's put it this way,... If LS motors are cool,.... Why are there so many companies making fake valve covers, intakes, and air cleaner assemblies to make them look like the old musclecar motors. Even they know they aren't cool!! Leave the LS motors for guys building one-off customs, and build something suitable for a car that is this clean after nearly 50 years. Personally I like the suggestion of buying the 400 parts the guy says he has and build a nice strong B engine stroker. Plenty of power can be wrangled out of those setups, unless you're wanting to be one of the next 1500-3000hp "Street Outlaws".

Oh, and....
And you guys call the E-Body guys a bunch of elitist snobs...

Nobody is being a snob BackinTime,... they just don't want to see a nice clean car get cut apart and transplanted with an LS. This IS "ForAbodiesonly".... Are you REALLY surprised that people here would suggest not bastardizing an A body?? I understand why people do it (because it's cheaper and easy), but brand has nothing to do with it. I hate seeing every old 32-34 Ford or 37-40 Ford coupes having 350 Chevys in them. Coolest thing I've seen lately was my engine guys old 34 Ford truck with a newer model Ford Flathead v-8 tucked in it. It just went together and was cool as hell!!

Buy the car. It's well worth the money. That goes without saying and you really didn't need to ask. Small block Mopar, stroker, wedge, stroker, late model Hemi, all great choices. Leave the LS for the Chevy and street rod guys.

When the 350 in my 94 chevy silverado gives up the ghost, i will be putting a 6.1 Hemi in it. Thats to get back at all those chevy engined mopars and fords people build lol

ad states he has a 400 for cheap, buy the whole package, build the 400 ($4,000) and burn tires till your bored with it. Resale is going to be way easier with a mopar engine in it. IF you put a chevy in it your going to find it almost impossible to get rid of later and have to give it away. So your options are spend money now to have a killer car (mopar engine) or build it the way you described and lose money later. Math can be tough sometimes, what to do, What to do?
This is absolutely correct. When you go to sell this car, and you will, no one will buy it.
Mopar guys will hate it for having a chevy engine in it, and chevy guys won't want it because it's not a chevy.

im probably in the minority here, but if you're not putting a small block mopar in there, i'd rather see the LS then the modern "hemi"
if you're going with something that doesnt belong (and the modern "hemi" does NOT belong in a classic mopar) you might as well go with the most popular (across the board) engine, especially, if it is one that makes the most power the cheapest

in fact, i dont mind what you do, as long as you dont cobble it together (and since the OP is planning on racing it, i am going to assume he is planning on making it past tech inspection) and dont put in a farm engine

[/flamesuit on]

Still can be fixed, jerk the LS out, change out K frame if butchered. Re engine it w proper MoPar motorvation.

attachment-19.jpeg

im probably in the minority here, but if you're not putting a small block mopar in there, i'd rather see the LS then the modern "hemi"
if you're going with something that doesnt belong (and the modern "hemi" does NOT belong in a classic mopar) you might as well go with the most popular (across the board) engine, especially, if it is one that makes the most power the cheapest

in fact, i dont mind what you do, as long as you dont cobble it together (and since the OP is planning on racing it, i am going to assume he is planning on making it past tech inspection) and dont put in a farm engine

[/flamesuit on]
I would respectfully disagree

A modern Hemi belongs in there more than an LS does. Same brand, so at least its a kissing cousin to the car. An LS is a complete stanger. Brand X

Still can be fixed, jerk the LS out, change out K frame if butchered. Re engine it w proper MoPar motorvation.

not a bad point
if the OP gets a hemidenny K frame for the LS then the transformation back to a mopar engine would be painless
or, he could even get a used K frame from here, , reinforce it and adapt it to the LS
(provided he keeps the OEM K frame)

-
Back