Help!! Lots of condensation in dipstick ect!

-

superdart360

Reaction score
After running my car for a while steam will start to come out the dipstick and the dipstick is covered in Milky oil / condensation however the oil is all still looking good, And under oil filler caps also has condensation. Fresh oil change is this norm??

Thanks
Larry

no thats not normal that milky stuffs water in oil you loseing water? your saying the oil on the bottom of stick is clear? sounds like intake or headgasket needs to be pressure checked to pinpoint

Not losing enough water to notice, but I recently changed the oil pan and the front of the pan had a little condenstation on it was well. But even the old dirty oil was not milky.

If the cars been sitting for a long time (over the winter) especially outside you will get water inside the engine. I've never heard of actual steam coming out the dip stick but I have seen milky oil on the top of the dip stick. To be absolutely certain though get the cooling system pressure tested when the engine is hot.

Terry

Have you been driving it ? If its just been idling in the driveway it may not be getting hot enough to evaporated any condensation thats forming in the motor from sitting. It may just need to be taken out and driven hard !

No I have not driven it but maybe a mile since I bought it. Been fixing all the issues before I really got out and drove it.

I hope this clears up for you! You may have to pull the intake and head's.

The upside is you can have the old head's cleaned up and then let her run.

I had the exact same problem, i had a cloged pvs and some hoses off the eddy carb were routed wrong, changed them both, no problems since.

Problem fixed, I replaced one of the oil filler caps with a breather valve, and ran it around a bit and the condensation was gone. Seemed it just needed to be ran as AdamR had said. Glad it was a simple fix.

It was the most I had ran it since buying the car. Was concerned as I had been having issues with the motor and was hoping it was nothing major. Thanks for all the help!!

As dazedduster pointed out a non working (or missing) PCV valve can cause this problem. Also make sure the crankcase breather is in good shape. It works in conjunction with the pcv valve. And the PCV valve should be on one valve cover and the crankcase breather on the other. I've seen guys put them both on the same side and they don't work that way cause it needs to cross ventilate.

Drive it. You may have only gotten the circulating oil up near the boiling point of water. You have to drive it regular at operating temps. It's real common. A lot os 5.0 Fords show condensation in the PCV system and oil cap too. If the oil itself is fine..Drive the car more.

Hey, I just found this too. No loss of water in the radiator, no steam, just a little crud on the dipstick. Car had sat for 10 days, but drove it 150 miles yesterday. If it was the head gasket, wouldn't I see the other stuff, steam out the tail pipe and oily coolant in the rad?

Peter

bet your dipstick, maybe oil pan and definitely your valve covers are chrome

run a pvc into each header this will eliminate the condensation or change the oil more often as filter will get plugged quickly

that's interesting. It's actually aluminum, but maybe that works in a similar way, conduction cold?

its normal but easy and time consuming to fix as you have to tap holes in headers and valve covers

Not to worry,i just found the same crap on the bottom of my oil filler cap and breather,its from condensation getting into the motor while its been sitting over the winter....

-
Back