help me find an electrical gremlin, please

-
latest update:

Went through the ECU tshooting guide posted by 67dart273.

with key in run pos...pins 2 and 3 (pin 1 not used) were within 1v of battery.

with key in off...ohms on 4 and 5 was .303 with mm set at 2k ohms so that would be a little outside the 300-550 range...got .303 at the pickup connector too

with one lead at the pick up coil and other lead grounded...got no reading

here is where it gets hoaky. With key in off...and lead on a good ground...got no reading when I probed pin 5 same for pin 4.

gonna run a ground wire from ECU to the body and see if that fixes it...if not, based on the tshooting guide, the ECU needs to be replaced. Am I tracking????

thx
Steve

yeah, ran the ohm and volt tests on the pickup leads...300 ohm and no volts...

Did you by chance get the correct slot in the reluctor lined up with the shaft slot. The reluctor needs to be set for clockwise rotation.

Seems odd you got a reading before, albeit minimal, and now nothing on the AC volts.

I think so the pin didn't come out of the reluctor and it was marked for clockwise rotation so I think Im good there

At this point I would try your other dizzy from the Cuda and see what happens, if it starts and runs at least you have a better starting point. Seems odd you get no AC volt reading from that new pickup. I'm still not convinced it's not in the dizzy.

good catch bruce...went back and re-read the tshooting guide and grounding test must be at the pin...told ya I wasnt very sharp

from the battery ground to #5 pin at the ecu, I get an omh reading but its jumping all over the place from 85 to .5

stumped but still tryin

alright....with a steady hand I repeatedly get .3 or .4 ohms with mm on 200ohm setting...so is that high enough to confirm that my ground is good?

Any reading at all tells you it's grounded. It still won't hurt to run a ground wire, I did on mine for good measure.

Based on the tshooting guide from 67dart273 it all checks out with in spec so if there is no spark it "must" be the ecu. Must is such a strong word coming from a guy who admittedly dont know squat. But I do feel like I am finally accomplishing something.

Would it it mess anything up if I swap out the 4pin unit (presumably bad) with the 5 pin unit from the barracuda using the 4pin wiring harness. Don't want to screw anything more up...

One will work on both and only one will work with the five pin. I can't remember which way it is. Do you have a two prong ballast or four prong.

If two prong then I think the four will work. If four pin then I think you need the five pin.

Maybe Del will confirm.

I am still curious why you have no AC voltage coming from the pickup. In the past I have read on here that some have gone through two or three before they got a good one.

I pulled the ecu off the barracuda. which has a 4 prong ballast and five wire harness...but go figure...previous owner had installed a 4 pin ecu. So I swapped em out. checking for spark now

Time for my usual "lecture"

If you wire for a 4 pin ballast, you can use EITHER 4 or 5 terminal ECU

Of course a 2 pin ballast MUST have a 4 pin ECU

You can NOT tell many 4 pin ECUs by looking, as many have 5 physical pins. You have to use a meter to see if one is unconnected.

with the coil and ecu from the cuda...I got a good solid spark, but still got no volts when I tested for volts at the pickup coil connection. Maybe I am doing something wrong. dbl checked my mm users guide and I had it properly set to AC rather than DC.

At this rate, I probably should pull the dizzy out of the cuda and see what I get>

Nope, wont start. still not getting any volt reading at the leads coming from the pick up coil when it cranks. break-break

67dart273 understand the difference now. barracuda has 4pin ballast dart has 2 pin ballast both have 5 wire harness. green w red tracer cut on on dart not on barracuda. both ecu's are 4 pin units. so I was able to swap em out with no issues.

So you get spark from the coil when you turn it over??? Is the rotor button under the cap???

are you getting spark out of the coil? LOL

i need one of them transporters so i can fly on over and help lmao

It is necessary to set the meter to AC volts, to measure the pickup. It may only read a few volts or less when cranking.

Bruce,

I'd like to say yes of course I put the rotor back in...but in reality I'm a dumbass:banghead: At least I'm providing some amusement for you guys...like I always said if your not laughing at yourself, somebody else probably already is.

Sweet lord a mercy it fired up just had to adjust the timing a bit as the dizzy had moved slightly with all the ins and outs. sounds great

But I thought it was fixed before, so I'm gonna run it a while to see. You guys are great and I'm glad you got a few laughs along the way...probably wont be the last time someone on here has a chuckle at my expense. Thats okay...you taught me alot about ecu's pick up coils, mm use and to always put the rotor back in...thanks couldnt have done it by myself.

-
Back