Help me pick a CAM

Which CAM would you choose

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

Got2Gnow

Reaction score
I have a '71 Dart Swinger with a 318, A904 automatic transmission, 3.23:1 sure-grip 8 3/4" rear, MP electronic ignition (orange ecu), 2 1/4" dual exhaust (factory manifolds with FlowMaster 40s)

The car will be getting an Edelbrock LD4B intake manifold and an Edelbrock Performer 600 (1406) carburetor.

I would also like to add a mild cam, but have no clue which to pick.

The following are a few of the choices available:

1. Hughes Engines Whiplash Cam
2000-5300 rpm range
Duration 213*/226* (Intake/Exhaust)
Lift .485”/.518” (Intake/Exhaust)

2. Summit
1500-4000 rpm range
Duration 204*/214* (Intake/Exhaust)
Lift .420”/.442” (Intake/Exhaust)

3. Edelbrock
2000-5500 rpm range
Duration 204*/204* (Intake/Exhaust)
Lift .420”/.420” (Intake/Exhaust)

4. VooDoo
1000-5500 rpm range
Duration 213*/220* (Intake/Exhaust)
Lift .454”/.475” (Intake/Exhaust)

5. Comp Cam
1200-5200 rpm range
Duration 212*/212* (Intake/Exhaust)
Lift .440”/.440” (Intake/Exhaust)

The car is an ice cream parlor cruiser, never raced. Which of the above cams would you choose?

i would pick the hughes just because it is the only true mopar grind, but ive heard voodoo's can be nasty...

I would stay away from Hughes.Only true Mopar grind, tell that to Mopar Performance they love to hear it.I would buy a Comp or Voo Doo.

I'd like to ask why stay away from Hughs? There are some guys here who would disagree,myself included. In fact the hughs would be my first pick,followed by lunati or comp. I'd take the Summit cam over the eddie,as eddy cams arent all that great. I believe the summit cam may be ground by crane?

Crower also makes some nice cams!

I'd like to ask why stay away from Hughs? There are some guys here who would disagree,myself included. In fact the hughs would be my first pick,followed by lunati or comp. I'd take the Summit cam over the eddie,as eddy cams arent all that great. I believe the summit cam may be ground by crane?

Crower also makes some nice cams!

only four words to describe Crower...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrLMfrObYRw&playnext=1&list=PL26F536CF32923CE2"]YouTube - Jizz In My Pants: Lord of the Rings Edition[/ame]

out of the ones listed ive run the comp,the eddy and the summit.the summit cam was the best of the three.do you want some lope to the idle or do you want it smooth?if your willing to spend a little extra on a custom grind id call jerry at schneider racing cams in san diego ca.tell him what your goals are and they can make it for you.if you plan on keeping the factory manifolds then id run a dual pattern with a wider lsa like 112 .

what about bullet/ultra dyne, the guy that started ultra dyne as a cam designer/owner is now with comp, hughes i think has copies of the ultra dyne

I've heard good stuff about the VooDoo. I have a Comp (different grind than the one you posted). I flattened a Hughes cam, so I'm a bit gun shy of them now.

My vote goes for Comp Cams. I despise the summit brand which is really a chivvy grind..

Two cams are close to the same, another two are close and a last one that's ?????

If you want a comp cam, XE256 or XE262. The one you selected is not that good, IMO.

IIRC, Bullet cuts Hughes cams for them now. Used to be Engle out in CA.

i have the summit cam in one of my 318's and 4000 rpm's is about all you get before you start to break up real bad. i would probably go with the hughes first and second choice the lunati

i have run hughes,comp & lunati cams ....love my hughes cam .. the one you have listed seems a bit larger than the rest . call dave over at hughes a pita to get ahold of but he can help you select the right cam for your combo.
the only problems i ever had with cams was a bunch of mp purple cams . had several diff. cams in a cou[ple diff engines have lobes go round but that was back in the 90's and i think they had a bad run..

Another good option would be a Racer Brown Cam. They are very popular with the mopar guys in this area. Jimmy D. (owner) is a Mopar guy and is very helpful.

I'm really satisfied with my Hughes cam, springs, & timing gear set. I have 916 passes on the componets.
This engine was built in March 2007, did a year in street car & now starting on the fourth season of racing.
I changed the springs at the start of last race season.
Hughes has been my choice of cam supplier for the last 4 engine projects.

I would take the Lunati Voodoo 60402!
Had it in my 340, now a 403.
Think the 402 is a perfect choise for that 318!

-
Back