Help needed passing Emissions!

-
I wish! Shoot, they failed me last inspection B/C I didnt have cats on it, even though I passed the sniffer test. I was pissed. An extra $160.00 for nothing.
Only $160 for cats? You're lucky! Some are over $1000.

Back in the day we introduced a small hidden vacuum leak and retarded the timing severly.
Limp through the tailpipe test and correct the changes in the parking lot.

In areas of Oregon, its 1975 and up. Failing is free and you can go through as many times as you want you just can't tune in their bay. I'd run my 76 F-150 4x4 home with a mild 460 (which they never came with) and decrease the timing and kick the idle up then go pass come home and reset it all to where I had it. I probably dove that truck 50 miles a year so I wasn't exactly killing the earth on my own.

Keep a record of tune up settings that you normally use, and of those that work, to pass the test. Use them accordingly. It's no different than the guys pulling their "plug-in" tuners out of their DLC's for the same reason.

I only knew about this because of my part-time job at NAS Miramar auto hobby shop. Part of my job was to set up tuneups for guys on the tune-up machine. I/ we were not smog licensed. Several guys had come in with cars they had bought locally that had been "upgraded." I about sh*t when someone rolled in (this was early 70's) with a 55 chev with this junk installed. Many guys were not "smog savvy." So yeh, we "lost" a few of these
Glad I live in the country away from the city stuff here in Missouri. When I did have a emission inspection, ignition timing never affected anything and I always had the vacuum advance hooked up too

^^^agreed. I'm thinking 88/89 is when the throttle body FI came about.
that system SUCKED!!!! I have retrofitted a few back to a carb... and made a more dependable vehicle out of them by so doing....

My 88 w150 has it.
that was the 1st yr for 318s, came in 89 with 360s.

Where I live it aint an issue..... the next county north it is. (I grew up there) My brother bought an 80 Ramcharger, factory 360-4 bbl truck.... and I remember the fight we had yearly with the smog nazi's.... we discovered the truck had had the orig 360 replaced with a '73 360 somewhere along the line...
the guy he got it from, had a Hi po distributor in it (Mallory I think) that was NOT going with the truck unless my brother would pay him more than you could get those from, at Super Shops for (remember that place?) over asking price. so the seller replaced the dist with a POINTS one... WTF.. in 80 everything was elec ignition....
and it had a Holley #1850 carb (I HATED those for reasons that had NOTHING to do with smog laws, just not a Holley carb fan) and it was thru the roof....
it had hewaders and duals on it, with "dummy" blank cats on it.... but they looked the part....
I put a TQ back onto it, and whatever SB electronic dist I could find in the old man's garage and tuned it to run the best that engine could run, ran the carb to the highest reading on the vac gauge I possibly could, and it passed....... the next year I had to (according to the smog station) take it to a DEALER and have them make up a work order with their shop name on it, that verified the numbers on the engine indicated a '73 engine transplant and then it passed REAL good, they went by 73 standards. I went in there with pix and a '73 factory service manual, and tried to show them where the numbers that IDd the engines was on that engine, and before I could open that 73 FSM to the "engine ID page I got thrown outta the smog station and told the ONLY way it would pass was to either find a stock, 80 or newer engine with all the exact pollution BS on it as that engine came from Chrysler with in its original chassis OR to go to a dealer (HAD to be a dealer, not an independent) pay that dealer whatever ransom they required to inspect the truck, list the existing engine numbers on a work order/ along with what that engine ID'd as.... and THEN come back.

we got it passed finally..... this was in Chicago's south suburbs. Last I knew, they had closed down all the emissions stations for "remodels" then once opened back up, then only '96 and up vehicles were subject to testing. But now there are independent shops scattered about the test req'd area that you have to go to, instead of state run ones but you still have to have a "PASS" in the smog check system, in order to be able to renew plates which is a crock of $#!t. Go to the DMV in req'd areas without them being able to see it as "PASS in their computer, they wont even print out the registration that comes with your sticker.....

We used to do the emissions inspections in NY state. Depending on the year, the older cars emissions limits were pretty forgiving. The newer cars were very stringent. We used to be able to put the probe in another tailpipe to help out a good customer.
Then NY came up with a "brilliant" idea. A dynamometer wheel cylinder, you had to strap the car down, and put it through a crazy power cycle, spinning the wheels like mad, with hi rpms, while hooked up to the vehicles ALDL under dash plug. So you couldn't skew results.
And, as if that wasn't insane enough, some machines had a video camera that NY state supposedly monitored.
Cars would overheat, wheel weights would fly off, how stupid that brief era was.
It has come full circle and seems to be much better now.
But I'm outta that state, thank God.

Now, in NC, each county determines if they want to conduct inspections, (Grab Money) from motorists.

that system SUCKED!!!!.

I don't think anybody is debating that; though it was a step above feedback carbs and the infamous "Lean Burn" system.

Loved "Super Shops" back in the day. I moved to Wisconsin, from SW Burbs of IL, at the mid point of my Senior year in HS. My buddies and I had project cars back then, and made a trip down to IL, just to go to a Super Shop. They had never seen anything like it.

I need to find a station around here that sells e85 and dump some in. I heard gas line antifreeze has the same effect, but you need A lot of it.
I might try this with everything else

re read post 9 buy a gallon for 3 bucks and pour it in .

Super Shops?

Post 31 and 33.

Super Shops was an automotive parts chain, that had all the coolest stuff. If you are old enough to remember the PAW ads in old Hot Rod and Car Craft magazines - it was like going to the store and seeing everything in the ad "live." Wheels, tires, including slicks, cams, super chargers, NItrous kits, etc.

Oh. Okay.
We had them in the NY areas.
They were called "speed shops".
There was a great Mom and Pop store called Flips Speed Shop, they sold everything from headers to Cragars.
We spent hours in that place, dreaming, as kids and putting parts on lay away, until we could pay in full.
Good times.

Oh. Okay.
We had them in the NY areas.
They were called "speed shops".
There was a great Mom and Pop store called Flips Speed Shop, they sold everything from headers to Cragars.
We spent hours in that place, dreaming, as kids and putting parts on lay away, until we could pay in full.
Good times.

Yes, there were other "speed shops" in the area, too. Super Shops was a chain /franchise, like the Wal-Mart of speed shops. Speaking of "mom and pop speed shops," there was one that opened many years ago, the next town over from me. They had or could get anything you wanted; but man, did they keep the strangest hours. You pretty much had to go there and see if they were open. Never really answered the phone. In hindsight, I wonder if they weren't a front, for something else. They closed down after several years.

Move to a non testing area or buy something exempt.

Got it to pass this morning. Thank you! I ended up putting an MSD 8388 distributor, Blaster 2 coil and 8.5 super conductor wires on it that I robbed from an engine on the stand for my Duster. I also bought a Digital 6A box, but hadn't installed it yet.
Guy asked me what i did and told him I put the MSD on it. He replied "that'll do it, it's good stuff there"
Honestly, I was quite surprised by how much it lowered my emissions over the HEI setup.
Now to decision installing the 6A box just to improve fuel economy.
20210916_095533.jpg

When you installed the MSD distributor, what did you set initial timing at?
10* and it had the 2 heavy springs in it. I pulled right up from driving there and didn't lift the hood until I got home. I was honestly surprised how much it lowered it.

-
Back