Help with 360 swap?

-

Mopar**family

Reaction score
So I found a 360 with a 727 trans that came out of a 79 dodge motor home. Besides the motor mounts can anyone offer any suggestions of what else I will need to replace In order to get this baby in without a hitch

Last edited:
Are you wanting to use the 727 out of the motorhome....take a look at the tailshaft...they usually have a short shaft unlike the car trans with the longer tail shaft..

What are you putting it into?........What do you have now,,,?

Are you wanting to use the 727 out of the motorhome....take a look at the tailshaft...they usually have a short shaft unlike the car trans with the longer tail shaft..

It seems to have a longer tail shaft, I can get the measurements off of it, I would like to Lee it as a package deal if possible. Is going into a 73 dart swinger, it has the slant in it as of now

This engine I got is pre 92, la 360
  • coming out of a motor home, you'll need a car 360 pan and pick up tube. I'll be surprised if it has the long tail shaft on that 727.
  • What motor is in your '73 now?

• coming out of a motor home, you'll need a car 360 pan and pick up tube. I'll be surprised if it has the long tail shaft on that 727.
  • What motor is in your '73 now?
slant 6 is what is in it now

ADBF39D3-D65F-402B-B779-8FF364DA2E39.jpeg

40F4A560-3F9A-47BB-BE73-F71C48CD5278.jpeg

Also check if the C-clip access plate is one the bottom or on side. It’s near the trans mount.

It needs to be on the bottom. Or it will bang the trans tunnel and wipe out trans and motor mounts

... found that out after multiple mounts

Then you'll need adapting motor mounts or K frame swap. Consider exhaust and radiator. That slant had a 904 behind it, so if you go with a 727, you'll need a shorter drive shaft.
This motor mounts are hard to come by I’ve got my feelers out there. Was planning on a new full dual exhaust and a new radiator the one in there now is tiny and seen better days. So the trans pan that’s on there now being out of a motor home you think will fit

Last edited:
This motor mounts are hard to come by I’ve got my feelers out there. Was planning on a new full dual exhaust and a new radiator the one in there now is tiny and seen better days. So the trans pan that’s no there now being out of a motor home you think will fit
Didn't get your last statement. Pictures show it to be a normal tailshaft. Then you'll need a shorter drive shaft because 727's are longer than 904's

Try and find a V8 spool mount k frame from a 73-76 A body. Also need to get the spool motor mounts. I'm pretty sure you can buy the motor mounts at O'Reilly's. Hopefully, you got the driveshaft....or at least the slip yoke from the motor home. The transmission pan that is on the 727 will work fine in your car. Reuse the transmission mount that you have if it's good. You will need A body exhaust manifolds, or headers. The motor home exhaust manifolds won't work in your car. If your car is an automatic on the column, all of that linkage should work back. If it is a console shift, you will need to swap out the tailshaft housing for one from a car. Truck/van tailshaft housings have no provisions for floor shift linkage, and like @autoxcuda mentioned, sometimes the C clip plate will hit the side of the trans tunnel. Good luck with the swap, and hope some of this helped.

You'll probably want stiffer torsion bars and a stronger rear axle assembly too. Looks like your engine/trans came out of a B-series van. The passenger side exhaust manifold will work with your car. The drivers side needs to be changed though, so it will fit around your steering column.

You'll probably want stiffer torsion bars and a stronger rear axle assembly too. Looks like your engine/trans came out of a B-series van. The passenger side exhaust manifold will work with your car. The drivers side needs to be changed though, so it will fit around your steering column.
So you think I will need a 1 inch torsion? Thanks for the tip on the manifold!

So you think I will need a 1 inch torsion? Thanks for the tip on the manifold!

factory V-8 torsion bars .87 (with A/C) or .85 (w/o A/C) would be fine.

1” torsion bars will give you a large noticeable handling difference

-
Back