Help with clutch rod

-

Veryfastdart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 1969 GTS 340 4 speed car. Does the clutch rod going thru the firewall go bent end to Z bar or bent end to pedals?
Thanks in advance.

Great thank you
That’s e way I have it but it wants to keep pushing the clip off of the inside????
I’ll keep working on it.

Is your z bar parallel to the ground? It matters. Or sometimes a little twist to the lever for alignment. A little here and there being off can cause that, or do you need a new clip?

Not sure, motor is out now, back in a week or so.
Thanks for the info. The hole thru the firewall that is oblong, has a tear in to clearance the clutch rod? So I know something is off?

The hole thru the firewall that is oblong,
The hole should be sorta oval,sorta oblong, but the downrod should be sorta centered in the window when correctly installed, and remain centered throughout the pedal travel. The thing that makes that happen is the lateral positioning of the outboard ball-stud and the fancy wire clip that locates the bushings inside the Z-bar tube. The inboard end just floats on the the ball/ bracket where ever.
After installation the Z-bar should be parallel to the ground in front view, and at 90* to the centerline of the car in top view, with the downrod centered in the window, throughout the pedal-travel. To make that happen, the outboard ball-stud has to be in the correct location, on the inner fender, and the correct inboard ball bracket used for the bellhouse you are using.
There are maybe three inboard brackets to choose from. Brewers has the skinny on which one goes with what.
Make sure that you have matching BH and front bearing retainer, and a pilot bushing/bearing of some kind.. There are three different sizes, and not every BH can be forced to use every retainer.

I didn't realize there were different ball studs, inboard and outboard. That could be my problem. Thanks so much for the education, I'll contact brewers Monday.

Also, where the motor mounts were tightened in at and the condition of them.
These and what AJ said are all variables in making the linkage happy.

The z-bar in backwards creates a condition that puts the downrod out of center in the oval firewall hole, and creates alignment issues at the fork pushrod ..

-
Back