Help with strange knock???

-
Ok, heres a simple test. On a deserted straight road, run the car up to 30mph or so.Now put it into neutral and shut the engine off. Wait for it to stop spinning completely.Now apply the brakes in the usual way that produces the symptom.Repeat if necessary. This should divorce the engine and headers from the equation. I would do this test before getting into post#25

Ok, heres a simple test. On a deserted straight road, run the car up to 30mph or so and shut the engine off. Wait for it to stop spinning completely.Now apply the brakes in the usual way that produces the symptom.Repeat if necessary. This should divorce the engine and headers from the equation.

Now were talking turkey!!! they must pay you the big money!! I feel like an idiot LOL. perfect!
Like Rusty Rat Rod said....trial and error/ process of elimination. I think this should answer the question once and for all.

As a side note to this - BE ABSOLUTELY SURE that you do not turn the key far enough to lock the steering, and note that your power steering and / or power brakes will potentially require a much higher effort with the engine off. Use care!

As a side note to this - BE ABSOLUTELY SURE that you do not turn the key far enough to lock the steering, and note that your power steering and / or power brakes will potentially require a much higher effort with the engine off. Use care!

LOL you got it. Will do.

You added wobble to your description. Jack one side up at a time and have helper rock wheel side to side while you check steering linkages tie rods, idler, etc. for movement. Sometimes a worn component will "hang up" in its worn position at rest. The one wheel on the ground will hold that side steady enough for you to feel any play. Top to bottom to check bearings. Do check your box mounts though as its the last place you had a problem and the loose box might have only been the symptom.

My wild guess is idler arm where it attaches to the K. It's moving up and down on the threw bolt. Only part I can think of that would could produce a few knocks at random conditions.

So, emnestor,how are you making out?

Thanks for the check in. I get home tomorrow and can get back out there after it. Trying to scope out a nice straight back road to run that test. Ill post up as soon as I can. Hopefully Thursday.

last night I had my neighbor come over and help me rock the various sides of the car and also lifted one side at a time to check a arms, and all joints for slop/ play. Everything seemed to be fine. I found a large parking lot near the airport and made a few runs while turning the motor off and coming to a stop. I did not feel the knocks while braking! So I am going to assume , at this point, that either something strange is going on with my power steering or i do indeed have the motor/ headers knocking something. With that said I have been all over the vehicle looking for evidence of the headers hitting something and I cant see it. I'm thinking my next step will be to install a torque strap to keep that motor in place and go from there. The one thing that baffles me is....Why would the motor jump when I apply the brakes????? remember its only at low speed non stressed braking

There is a vacuum hose that connects the brake booster to the intake manifold. It could be when the brakes are applied the booster leaks. The loss of vacuum may result in an engine stumble, and related noise.

Plugging to hose for test will result in heavy brake pedal to stop, so be careful.

The problem is likely two fold, what you feel is related to stumble, but something is also too close or loose too.

There is a vacuum hose that connects the brake booster to the intake manifold. It could be when the brakes are applied the booster leaks. The loss of vacuum may result in an engine stumble, and related noise.

Plugging to hose for test will result in heavy brake pedal to stop, so be careful.

The problem is likely two fold, what you feel is related to stumble, but something is also too close or loose too.
It is a manual brake car, but that would make sense.

A loose brake pad can make a noise under certain/just right conditions. A universal joint can too.

So, did you figure it out yet?
Wish I could say I have fixed it. I had just finished up restoring an 87 D100 truck and thought I had everything wrapped up so I could focus on the Dart. well......the weather changed and I ended up having to fight bugs on the truck project. leaks, carb issues etc.... the little things. I have my fingers crossed that I finally finished that last night. I had a transmission pan that would not seal no matter what I did. Drove me crazy. Anyway now that the weather is crap I think I can finally get back on the Dart. I plan to install a torque strap in the near future and then go from there. I also have to pull the 4 speed out of it. 4th gear syncro is going. Thanks for all the trouble shooting help. Ill post the results of the torque strap in a month or so. I coach wrestling as well and we are in full swing here, so time is limited.

-
Back