Hemi fitment issues in 68 dart?

-

savoy

Reaction score
Specifically anyone have experience with external oiling on a gen 2 hemi in a 68 dart? New mopar performance block. Regular hemi modified k frame from Al D. TTI headers will be used. Just want to know what fitment issues I should expect before I jump into this with both feet! Thanks in advance.

Any one have any insight or advice on this? It would be appreciated greatly! Thanks.

I ran a single line on mine with a milodin pump and Charlie's pan. Ran it 7200 with no issues.

IMG_0878.JPG
IMG_0877.JPG
IMG_0879.JPG
IMG_0179.JPG

Thank you for that information. Do you think external oiling is needed for a strictly street motor?

That's what I am thinking also. The engine builders seem to prefer the external oiling but again I suspect they want to make sure they never see the engine again once it leaves the shop. Actually makes sense from their point of view. Truth of the matter is this car if it does come to fruition will see very few miles, mostly ending up as a garage queen much like my 64 Savoy. Sad, but reality I fear. Thanks for your replies as they help me in my decision making process.

There is very good book out that I just ordered from Amazon.com It is called "Authenticity Guide For 1968 Dart and Barracuda Hemi Super Stock" by Jim Schild and Larry Griffith. It is the complete guide about building the Hemi Dart and Barracuda, it has everything listed even the original Mopar parts numbers for the build. It is supposed to be comprehensive book on the market for the build. I can't wait to get it because I have a 1968 Dart GT that I would like to build as close as I can get to the real thing. It was only $20 so I figured it to be a good investment to help me work on my car. I hope this helps in some small way to get your car done right.

Thanks for the replies. I already have that book. Lots of good information!

Thanks for the replies. I already have that book. Lots of good information!
putting a single line system on a 426 type engine is no diff. than on a 440 wedge. I had a tierod pass thru -huge oil pan on one of my hemi`s, that I cut a 6" piece of 1/2" pipe for ,and extended the stock oil pick up, w/ a little heating and adjusting(bending),. It was raced for 14 yrs. w/ no problems. I now have an old funny alum. car pan on the 505" wedge w/ a single line system, pieced together out of old funny car and currant pieces. works very well.------jfyi

OP didn't mention that he wants to use a stock K frame. I think it gets a lot tougher to package an external oiling system with a stock K frame. Typically the K needs to be cut just to clear the larger oil pump not to mention providing some space for a larger oil pan and the room for the line or lines.

I'll know more soon as I will be using a single line with a Charlies pan on the 572 Hemi for the Flash restoration. 572? I'm pretty sure I won't get P&G'd on my way to the display tent.

Here is the K-member but I don't know if the cutout is big enough yet (Nevin?) because the engine and pan are in the shop .

EVERYTHING in the first 2 pictures except for the K, torsion bars and frame stubs has been replaced (see last pic).

View attachment 1715089597

View attachment 1715089598

View attachment 1715089599

Last edited:
Thanks for the updates. If I jump into this I really do not want to cut out the k frame. I guess I would rather modify the pan. Time will tell. Thanks again.

I'll know more soon as I will be using a single line with a Charlies pan on the 572 Hemi for the Flash restoration. 572? I'm pretty sure I won't get P&G'd on my way to the display tent.

Here is the K-member but I don't know if the cutout is big enough yet (Nevin?) because the engine and pan are in the shop .

EVERYTHING in the first 2 pictures except for the K, torsion bars and frame stubs has been replaced (see last pic).

View attachment 1715089597

View attachment 1715089598

View attachment 1715089599

I run a completely stock k frame in mine. Had to modify the pan a small amount. Depending on what pan you have it should easily work.

I run a completely stock k frame in mine. Had to modify the pan a small amount. Depending on what pan you have it should easily work.
I`d do the k frame like that in a heartbeat. Saw the first one like that at Jim Hales shop. Also the motor plate, frees up a lot of room.-use a rear pump cover that has the rear mounted line- more clearance. Wiper motor, master cyl. will be the biggest issues, I think. ---JMO, but u know what they say about opinions !! lol

OP has a Mopar block so there is an inlet for the external oiling on the front of the block. Using that inlet allows the use of a normal HV pump so you gain some space that way. Best way to do it is to have a good fab guy build a hard line that brings the oil from the pan up to the front of the block. It might cost a few hundred bucks to get the special line fabbed up but it would save a lot of space.

After consulting with a number of engine builders it is pretty much a consensus that for a street hemi of 650-700 hp an external oil system will be sufficient. So I guess keeping with the KISS principal I will follow their collective advice and go with an internal oiling system. Thanks for the collective wisdom and replies.

i ran a milodon street pan and pick up on a 70 hemi cuda all original for years and
raced it 1 season-no problems!
1983 pro street champion
farmington drag way
north carolina

After consulting with a number of engine builders it is pretty much a consensus that for a street hemi of 650-700 hp an external oil system will be sufficient. So I guess keeping with the KISS principal I will follow their collective advice and go with an internal oiling system. Thanks for the collective wisdom and replies.
I'm guessing you meant " an INTERNAL oil system will be sufficient".

-
Back