Hemi

-

ibleedmoparts

Reaction score
Ive done it gang...i purchased a 2003 5.7 hemi and 5 spd auto trans. With a cam and headers and a little comp programming im hoping for a 400hp dart...its stock is 345hp so it shouldnt take much...If any one has any ideas or experience please shoot ideas my way cause im new to the FUEL INJECTION world
Floyd

You should check out the tech articles on moparmusclemagazine.com, they did something with the new hemi's and changing the intakes and they came up with some good numbers! Nice job on acquiring the hemi, where did you get it from?

Those new EFI Hemi's can make well over 500 to the crank with a head/cam/intake swap, plus the new EMS programming will make a bit more. They're incredible engines... the people who say they're "not real Hemi's" can kiss my ***. There's not many modern-day engines that can make big numbers like that with so few modifications and/or without N20 or forced induction... consistently and reliably, that is.

The 5.7 is a good engine. Tom Hoover is even impressed with them. He wanted to move the cam possition in the block on the old 426's but Chrysler wouldn't do it...at least until the 5.7 came out. I read that in a mag.
I got an extra 10HP out of mine with a K&N cold air intake. Edelbrock is claiming "7-12HP and TQ" with their headers. I've heard of a company that's bolting on 6.1 heads and some other mods and making ALOT of power. Now if I could only get a money tree to grow in my back yard... all I have is the fertilizer!

New XFI™ 5.7 & 6.1 - Liter Hemi Camshafts
COMP Cams®’ new XFI™ (Xtreme Fuel Injection) camshafts for Hemi-powered Chrysler vehicles dramatically increase engine horsepower and torque, yet retain compatibility with all OEM vehicle computer systems. Available in three different profiles (XFI™ 260, 268 and 273), the new camshafts are uniquely engineered for street performance and towing applications.

In recent dyno tests performed on a Chrysler Hemi engine (outfitted with COMP’s #26918 Beehive™ valve springs and upgraded exhaust), the XFI™ 260 camshaft netted 20 additional ft pounds of peak torque in lower rpm ranges and 31 additional horsepower. Stepping up, the XFI™ 268 camshaft added 14 ft pounds of torque at low rpm and 47 additional peak horsepower. Amazingly, COMP’s XFI™ 273 camshaft yielded it’s most significant horsepower increase (over 4500 rpm) generating 61 horsepower more than the stock Hemi 5.7-Liter camshaft.

There having problems (Still) with there web site. But........
http://www.compcams.com/
http://www.compcams.com/information/whatsnew/NewsDetails.asp?ListHistoryID=-2099658896

Anyone know how'd both the engine and the exhaust would fit in an A-body (67 up that is)?

what are you using for a managment harness. If it is the stock harness good luck getting everything to work. If it is the harness from Street and performance you may as well send it back. They were having all kinds of issues getting the car trans to work with their harness. But those trannies are actually pretty good and shift very nice.

I dont think ill stray from the torqueflite...far as engine management im still researching the best option, thats why i post here for ideas and can use others experience to help me

There is a fellow who has installed one in a 68 cuda. He is on the 67-69 Barracuda Owners group (yahoo) If I recall correctly he was going to post a file on the whole process. I will try to track his site down or just go to the group and ask, they will steer you to him.

BJS racing said:
what are you using for a managment harness. If it is the stock harness good luck getting everything to work. If it is the harness from Street and performance you may as well send it back. They were having all kinds of issues getting the car trans to work with their harness. But those trannies are actually pretty good and shift very nice.

I called Street and Performance and they recommended i purchase a harness/ECU elsewhere...The guy on the phone recommended XFI ECU by FAST because if you use a cam or any other alterations the factory computer has too many limitations...so S&P totally rocks for honesty... :headbang: He said the Challenger Vert and the 6.1 GTX owners were dissatisfied with performance and they couldnt get around it due to comp limitations

There's a good article on a 500+ hp new hemi in Hot Rod mag. I'll check the issue date and get back to you. I believe they were using a FAST comp and harness. They also supercharged it for another 200 hp. Food for thought.

ibleedmoparts said:
Im awfully hungry... :burnout:

LOL! And I'm dry as dust, where is that bottle opener? :drunken:

November 2006, 712 hp with the supercharger, 481 hp with stock heads, 524 with MP heads! Yeehaa! :thumbup:

dartley said:
Anyone know how'd both the engine and the exhaust would fit in an A-body (67 up that is)?
HI i JUST INSTALLED A 2005 HEMI IN MY 68 DART CONVERTABLE. yOU WILL HAVE TO USE MANUAL STEERING BOX OR DO WHAT I DID INSTALL A RACK AND PINION FROM A EARY 80'S T-BIRD. i DID THE POOR BOY WAY AND CUT IT IN TO MY FACTORY SUBFRAME YOU CAN SEE PICS IN THE GARAGE UNDER JRAT. I USED A 727 TRANS AND BOUGHT MOTOR MOUNT BRACKETS FROM TTI EXHAUST. THEY ALSO SELL HEADERS FOR IT BUT I USED A MANIFOLD FROM A JEEP RT SIDE AND TRUCK MANIFOLD LEFT SIDE. STREET AND PERFORMANCE HAS STAND ALONE PCM AND THROTTLE SENSER FOR DRIVE BY WIRE WHICH IS WHAT I AM USING. GOOD LUCK HOPE I HELPED.

-
Back