Hey Guy's and Gal's (Now with the video)

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think its a great idea. and for under $100 for improving your ignition system 10 fold, can't beat it with a stick.

making it idiot proof is key. most people want to do this mod but are hazy on the details until they do it themselves. so detailed but SIMPLE instructions are a wise choice.

I see you gathered some interest in your product. Can this be / six adaptable with a Mallory dizzy for fuel injection.:prayer: Sorry I didn't have time to type this out when I first saw the post! I'm a truck driver not a typist!

Already in the works, I just need to find a source for the coil side of the distributor plugin.

BTW, thanks for the crappolla too. :D

Beast, if you want feedback, here's mine:

I think you're idea is outstanding, especially when you consider the expanded capability of the 8-pin modules.

For less than 100 bucks, it's a steal. I just converted a friend's SB to HEI and the 4-pin module alone was $45, plus another $60 for the E-core coil. Wiring it is simple, and the ability to buy the modules on any street corner is an added bonus.

I've been running the HEI in various forms (DUI is an outstanding product line too), and have never experienced a failure with it - in nearly 30+ years of converting them. Open up the plugs to ~.045, and drive 'em. HEI is an improvement, and I also like being able to dispose of the resistor, which drops voltage to the ignition system on the stock Mopar ignition, and simplifying my harness.

Put me on your list of potential clients. With plans to move to FI in the future, this could be a cost effective segway to that project.

S

Possibly interested.
I'll be watching the thread to see what kind of feedback people have after installing and using it for a bit.

Possibly interested.
I'll be watching the thread to see what kind of feedback people have after installing and using it for a bit.

Good, I think you will like the results you see and hear.
Thank you

Hi,

So, can this be crank triggered?

Do you have a kit that includes crank trigger for sb and bb?

Thanks.

I don't see why not as long as you have the trigger unit and it uses a square wave trigger.
Personally I havn't chked into that, as I am just assembling an nice easy ignition upgrade for the average Joe to drop in in a half hour.

Cool idea though.

Trailbeast - First kudo's to you for doing all the R/D and gruntwork on something like this then having the courage and desire to bring it to all of us Mopar guys. We as a Mopar community should always support guys like you, even if we dont purchase a unit immediately. It's guys like you that keep our hobby moving forward. So thanks...

That being said I think you've got a cool product. I'm ignition challenged and probably only as good as average on my complete knowledge of ignition systems...but it looks like you've got a great product!

I'd love to hear what Slant6Dan has to chime in about this particular set-up...:happy1:

Look forward to more vid's etc on this one....

I wanted a ECU with a adjustable rev limiter. So I spent the extra coins on that. Does the HEI have a rev limiter just in case a missed shift or some unwanted occurrence that would make the engine rev beyond its capabilities?

Trailbeast - First kudo's to you for doing all the R/D and gruntwork on something like this then having the courage and desire to bring it to all of us Mopar guys. We as a Mopar community should always support guys like you, even if we dont purchase a unit immediately. It's guys like you that keep our hobby moving forward. So thanks...

That being said I think you've got a cool product. I'm ignition challenged and probably only as good as average on my complete knowledge of ignition systems...but it looks like you've got a great product!

I'd love to hear what Slant6Dan has to chime in about this particular set-up...:happy1:

Look forward to more vid's etc on this one....

Thank you, I appreciate that.
Dan and I have spoken about it already, as he was one of the original 4 pin modders and knows how well it works.

I wanted a ECU with a adjustable rev limiter. So I spent the extra coins on that. Does the HEI have a rev limiter just in case a missed shift or some unwanted occurrence that would make the engine rev beyond its capabilities?

The unit I use is capable of this, and much more.
It requires a computer controller for those kinds of functions, like this.
[ame]http://www.classichei.com/rabidgatortimingcomputer.pdf[/ame]

The company is very new and just getting on it's feet, and this thier product.
Check out the functions it has.
The module I use in my kits is what this device connects to.
It has REV limiter and WAY more.

Beast, if you want feedback, here's mine:

I think you're idea is outstanding, especially when you consider the expanded capability of the 8-pin modules.

For less than 100 bucks, it's a steal. I just converted a friend's SB to HEI and the 4-pin module alone was $45, plus another $60 for the E-core coil. Wiring it is simple, and the ability to buy the modules on any street corner is an added bonus.

I've been running the HEI in various forms (DUI is an outstanding product line too), and have never experienced a failure with it - in nearly 30+ years of converting them. Open up the plugs to ~.045, and drive 'em. HEI is an improvement, and I also like being able to dispose of the resistor, which drops voltage to the ignition system on the stock Mopar ignition, and simplifying my harness.

Put me on your list of potential clients. With plans to move to FI in the future, this could be a cost effective segway to that project.

S

So you feel about it pretty much like I do.
The EFI was the main reason I used the 8 pin module, and during that process is when I found out about the other devices that can use it.

I see you gathered some interest in your product. Can this be / six adaptable with a Mallory dizzy for fuel injection.:prayer: Sorry I didn't have time to type this out when I first saw the post! I'm a truck driver not a typist!

I know that it can be used with a Mallory Distr.
I know it can be used on a /6 just as easy as any other engine that has a distributor that uses a square wave signal.
I have not checked how many other manufacturers use a square wave pickup coil, but I know you can get aftermarket change over units like Pertronics, Msd, and others.

If I hadnt had the lean burn take a crap on me in our 83 Mirada I wouldnt have ever considered this set up. it was cheap and easy to set up and way more reliable than the factory stuff and more efficient. That really matters when it is a daily driver before geting rid of the lean burn we were gettin between 8 and 10 mpg on the highway WTF! (/6 loose converter and 2.45s) After switching to the HEI and rebuilding the carb we were getting just around 21 on the highway much better. The lean burn is just a terrible system and the distributor was stuck in retarded timing cause the computor didnt work to tell the pick ups to advance the time.
Basically the best set up for that car might go as far to say as good if not better than the msd boxes.

I have been following your thread. I like it. Sounds good to get rid of the ballast and simplify the system. I have had orange boxes go bad a few times also. I may be interested. BTW the rabidgator website doesn't work.

I have been following your thread. I like it. Sounds good to get rid of the ballast and simplify the system. I have had orange boxes go bad a few times also. I may be interested. BTW the rabidgator website doesn't work.

Thank you.
Yea, they are in progress, so I plan on calling them today to find out where they stand on product availability and cost.
Mostly I just linked to thier site to show people what is, or will/can be out there to compliment the 8 pin module system we use.

If you didn't get to see the product description I have it here.
[ame]http://www.letsgocomputers.com/classichei/rabidgatortimingcomputer.pdf[/ame]

Just so everyone knows, we are picking up parts today and can be ready to ship assebled and tested kits by tomorrow.

Orders can be placed here [email protected]
or directly from the website at www.classichei.com

Also we are currently working on getting a video demo of the kit and it's much improved spark over a stock electronic unit.

Thank for the interest everyone.

Greg

Hello There
If I ordered 4 or 5 sets of these would you consider shipping them to Australia?? They should fit in this: Priority Mail Medium(if they dont fit then maybe the large)Flat Rate Box
Inside Dimensions: 11" x 8½" x 5½"
Outside Dimensions: 11¼" x 8¾" x 6" They have a 20 lb weight limit, I have used these boxes befor to get parts over here with no problems.
It`s around $50.00 for shipping & I can pay with PayPal. Anything under $1000.00 there`s no inport taxes, So it`s all straight ford.
Thanks Doug

Hello There
If I ordered 4 or 5 sets of these would you consider shipping them to Australia?? They should fit in this: Priority Mail Medium(if they dont fit then maybe the large)Flat Rate Box
Inside Dimensions: 11" x 8½" x 5½"
Outside Dimensions: 11¼" x 8¾" x 6" They have a 20 lb weight limit, I have used these boxes befor to get parts over here with no problems.
It`s around $50.00 for shipping & I can pay with PayPal. Anything under $1000.00 there`s no inport taxes, So it`s all straight ford.
Thanks Doug

I'll do ANYTHING if you will get that woman off that wing!:D

Seriously though, I don't think it would be a problem as long as you are willing to pay the actual shipping.
I have an assembled kit that is going out in the next day or so and I am going to weigh it to see what the weight is exactly, but I'd say they are about 2 pounds.

Here is a pic of a kit ready to package and ship.
They may, or may not come with the wire loom casing in the future.
Just have to see how it all settles out.

Attachments

• demo.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 140
Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back