HF air compressor

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone using a 30 gal 110 compressor from HF??? They compare it to a Husky brand like sells at Home depo that is air cooled, HF's is oil cooled.
Wanting to run a LVLP gun only, No air tools.
For several reasons I do not intend to run 220 wire all the way to shop., therefore NO real compressor on my plate . Thnx

Make sure you install a good coalescing filter to remove any oil before the gun.

I dunno,the more dollars you save,the less air you get.
I am one guy with an opinion, hvlp requires more air than advertised (usually) and compressors make less air than advertised (usually)

Some hvlp kits come with a compressor (turbine)
And are suited to the gun.

I am talking LVLP deal, NOT HVLP..... I imagine the system generaly runs off a turbine, but I want to run off 110 compressor. This HF compressors is oil cooled which is better longevity than air cooled. I would have to compare but you re right , compressors overstate their ability.
We will sell this place in 2 years and I will not move a 60-80 gal 500 miles!!! Or run high $... 220 wire the distance I have to heer. Therefore.....
Just wondering is anyone has experience with this HF compressor?

Not oil cooled,there are oil-less compressors and oil lubricated compressors. You made a better choice to go with the oil type.quieter and last longer. I did get away with a 110 compressor for a lot of years,but it ran a lot.
I added a reserve tank, but painting is a challenge.
110 and 30 gals doesent tell much,knowing hp of pump will help.

Last edited:
Hp and cfm rating top priority in my book. Tank size is your reserve and if it's not adequate with the other 2 u will struggle for air

I got this one from Lowes. They price matched the similar one from HF so quick I didn't know what happened.

Shop Kobalt 30-Gallon Portable Electric Vertical Air Compressor at Lowes.com

I like it a LOT for a smaller, portable unit. It ALMOST keeps up with my bead blastin cabinet.......and WILL keep up with it, if I take my time. I have also run an HVLP gun on it and it does just fine.

Ran a LVLP gun and sprayed my six pack hood... Makita brand compressor.. turned out good
IMG_20171203_172234.jpg

IMG_20171203_172234.jpg

I watched a video about makita compressor, guy was very happy with it.
Way back when,we ran 2 small compressors for painting.

Nice hood,btw.

I HAVE THAT ONE 10 YEARS NOPROBLEMS YET.
Did fine painting my car earlier this year...
I got this one from Lowes. They price matched the similar one from HF so quick I didn't know what happened.
Good to know, was not aware they would price match. I think the HF's are OK. But.. From what I have seen the Kobalts are Campbell Hausfeld. Most non-industrial compressors are 'disposable', but should be lot easier finding parts for the CH when you need them.

I had one, noisier than hell. It put out enough air to paint, but hardly enough for air tools. I was disappointed. I eventually bought a 60 gallon Kobalt from Lowe’s, single stage but runs on 220v. Made me a happy guy!

image.jpg

I had one, noisier than hell. It put out enough air to paint, but hardly enough for air tools. I was disappointed. I eventually bought a 60 gallon Kobalt from Lowe’s, single stage but runs on 220v. Made me a happy guy!

View attachment 1715119676

I have always run a 60-80 gal twin cyl compressor, but I hate to think of running big enough underground wire to where I will build my shed ( garage). We will be retiring (both of us) in couple years. I have done all the patch panels, sanding by hand, just need to shoot the primers and top coat. That is whyi am looking at a small 110 rn compressor. The HF model is oil cooled which is better than air cooled I understand.

Funny this thread came back, mine was getting weak, just changed the oil and put a new belt on it yesterday, bet I get ten more years out of it. Actually happy with it for what it is.

Instead of running power, why not run airline? Put compressor where the power is and run 3/8” or 1/2” airline to the building. I regret not running bigger line to my quonset,1/4 nylon air brake tubing,will be changing it eventually. Its cheap and tough.
A huge plus is no noise.
Water could be an issue, but a reserve tank will help settle it out.

Instead of running power, why not run airline? Put compressor where the power is and run 3/8” or 1/2” airline to the building. I regret not running bigger line to my quonset,1/4 nylon air brake tubing,will be changing it eventually. Its cheap and tough.
A huge plus is no noise.
Water could be an issue, but a reserve tank will help settle it out.

I have considered that also. BUT when we move I do not want to load a large compressor.

I was just while ago,outside no less, spraying some epoxy primer ( rattlecan) over the filler I just spotted in my 79 Volare. Here is SE Tx the "Blizzard of 17" is now past!! ( OK so we got 1/2 in snow in the grass! Ha)... 60 seconds later I see a few gnats in the primer!!!!!! I figure the small compressor will run a LVLP gun, all my filler and prep work is already done, Just scuff, seal, prime, sand, seal, topcoat.

About spray guns. Technically, and I say technically, you are supposed to be able to change air caps and fluid cap on some guns to be able to use lower CFM's. I tried with a Devilbiss gun, but didn't seem to match up. I followed the recommendation in the book.....

About spray guns. Technically, and I say technically, you are supposed to be able to change air caps and fluid cap on some guns to be able to use lower CFM's. I tried with a Devilbiss gun, but didn't seem to match up. I followed the recommendation in the book.....

I am a paint duffer! I just use cheap guns!!! I have had good success with HVLP guns from TCP Global, Summit, etc. Pint really bothers me, I love to do it but, I really need an air suit, been never been on my $ plate. Hopefully I will paint lower area of my Volare, and maybe paint the 71 Duster less I sell it off.
Back in 90's I rebuilt quite a few Mopars and had a good young guy that did most my bodywork. He used some sorta square box that did the air, I never new exactly what it was. He laid down flawlwss work. I just did some work with the old siphon gun on drivers I would sell/trade..

I am a paint duffer! I just use cheap guns!!! I have had good success with HVLP guns from TCP Global, Summit, etc. Pint really bothers me, I love to do it but, I really need an air suit, been never been on my $ plate. Hopefully I will paint lower area of my Volare, and maybe paint the 71 Duster less I sell it off.
Back in 90's I rebuilt quite a few Mopars and had a good young guy that did most my bodywork. He used some sorta square box that did the air, I never new exactly what it was. He laid down flawlwss work. I just did some work with the old siphon gun on drivers I would sell/trade..
Sounds like a turbine. Yet to use or even see one in action. Maybe I'll ask a buddy who has forgotten 10 times more than I know.

The motor on that lowes comp can't draw more than 30A.

The true 5HP on my 32 CFM unit is rated at 18 startup, and I verified with an amprobe.

10 solid wire was fine for 30 amp at 125 feet from my house panel to my garage.

IIRC it was about $85 plus the conduit and about 2 afternoons work of slow labor.

i have a 2- 110 oil less craftsman, one is 2 hp, the other is 5.5 hp, both are over 20 years old, no problems, i use the 2 hp ok on paint gun, but on sandblaster i have to use the 5.5,,, check the cfm recommended for tool you are using, then get a compressor that won't overheat or bite the dust in the middle of the job

If the compressor does not have a belt on it run, the noise will drive you insane.

-
Back