High comp starter

-

dartlove

Reaction score
I have a 496 c.i. low deck w/ 14.0: 1 comp, backed up with a powerglide. Question is what would be a good starter for this comb? Any help appreciated

Ask the Chevy guys, they might be able to help......

Jake

Why would he need to ask the Chevy boys? The powerglide will have a chrysler bellhousing and use a mopar starter.

My friend is building an alcohol burning B1 headed 596ci. It's supposed to be around 14:1. He is using the power master 9513 starter.

my experience with power master starters has not been great . a cheap champion for a Dakota in my experience is at least 3x better and less than 100 bucks . and it will have more than enough power to do the job . fwiw.

my experience with power master starters has not been great . a cheap champion for a Dakota in my experience is at least 3x better and less than 100 bucks . and it will have more than enough power to do the job . fwiw.
Thank you it's a start

Why would he need to ask the Chevy boys? The powerglide will have a chrysler bellhousing and use a mopar starter.

My friend is building an alcohol burning B1 headed 596ci. It's supposed to be around 14:1. He is using the power master 9513 starter.
I will look into it. Thank you

I mentioned the Magnum mini starter to my friend. His engine builder said it wouldn't last with the 14:1 compression. Have you heard of it surviving with high compression? I have a few good spare mini starters laying around that I would like to test on his engine.

Stock magnum starter and tell your friend to put a start retard in and spare the starter.

Adjustable timing knob on dash is what I'm installing. Helps with poor gas if you travel...you can just dial it back some... or forward for milage at cruise if you have no vac can.

Stock magnum starter and tell your friend to put a start retard in and spare the starter.

Adjustable timing knob on dash is what I'm installing. Helps with poor gas if you travel...you can just dial it back some... or forward for milage at cruise if you have no vac can.
This might be getting a little off-key, but can you put a start retard with a locked out distributor

The guys used to put the distributor feed wire on a toggle switch. Spin the engine over a few turns and light the fire.

I have a locked out dizzy and that is how I start my car. I hit the starter start turning it over then I hit the switch for the distributor and coil

Our high comp engine dont mind starting with a mini starter but even the SFI flex plate loses teeth if the engagement isn't just right.

a mini starter will crank a 14to 1 big block no problem what kills the starter and related parts is kick back so a good tune for your fuel quality and maybe a retard of some kind will be your friend .

HEI ignition and wire the #5 pin to ground on start circuit, itll retard 10 degrees electronically. My mini kicked over a 10.5:1 451 with ease.

This might be getting a little off-key, but can you put a start retard with a locked out distributor
Yes but you would need electronics to do it eg.msd start retard or msd power grid. Or any other brand that intercepts the trigger signal
to retard the timing.

-
Back