High Performance 318ci

-
Add better heads than stock for even more power, Trick Flow probably be over kill though.
The main problem with your original plan was way too much cam for streetable 318 power.
Most street cars will never see above 5000-5500 rpm 99% of the time, idle to 3000 rpm is where your mainly at.
So want a cam that works idle-5000 rpm with a lift that's make good use of chosen head, stock head .450"-.500", lift is more streetable power than duration.

You could also always add 4" stroke make the 318 feel more like a big block.

Why better head is overkill?
I only have experience with big blocks and the cam I picked seemed very small too me. I probably can have less duration cam with some lift custom made.

In my view if I have 750hp 470ci that needs 3500 stall converter it usually makes enough power and torque also down low. I don’t really need to push it all the time but when I want to accelerate fast I can do it.
Here I had similar idea of things. Wanted to be able to rev to just over 6000 rpm, but also having nice low rpm idle. I didn’t think about the weight of the car as for me the more power I have the lighter the car seems. Head flow, good intake and fuel source never failed me. I picked dual plane intake to bring the power band lower.

it’s like when you buy exotic supercar. You can get groceries and drive drive under speed limit all the time, but if you want to be fast you just put your foot down.

Build your 318 as stated but do yourself a favor and supercharge it! Then all will be fine.
Why I never thought of that? Than even low compression is an advantage. I. Have some J heads that I could use and pick different cam. What is the best option? Some pro charger?

Sounds like you friend wants just a basic hop up, 650 4bbl mild cam duals and a good tune up.
And you want a fire breathing monster, if your use to big blocks they have so much torque you can afford to throw away lots of the under 3000 rpm power especially in a light car with deep gears and high stall. A 318 ain’t like that especially in a heavy car with high way gears.

What power level are we talking about 250-300 hp 300-350hp 400 plus hp.

the stock 318 heads are good for about 300 hp, after that you either have to port or go with 340/360 heads or magnum or aftermarket.

To me Trick flows are for 500 plus hp. You could bolt them on a lesser engine.

If you want more than 300 hp
I guess I would be thinking like Eddy heads or pro comp, EQ’s, or even just plane old Magnums.
With a roller hydraulic or just a regular solid cam with .500” plus lift but 210 to 220 @ .050”.

Look how factors build streetable NA power Like LS and new Hemi even magnum and vortec is through head flow not aggressive cams and Also displacement.

Wouldn't put 10 cents into a "boat anchor" 318!!

Lame 360 huh??..put wayyyy more the a few big block and a few hemi cars right back on the trailer at the track..love it when they come over to my pit spot and see it was a LOWLY 360 that blew their doors off:lol::lol::lol:
Did I stutter, the 360 is your choice and my last choice. I have one 360 and it's in a W2OO truck. The only big block you beat are the ones that broke out.:D
The OP should build his buddy the 318 and cruise. I think if that's what he has, work with it.:thumbsup:

Maybe Moparofficial will chime in I believe he could provide some good input for a 318 build with a factory head.:thumbsup:

Sounds like you friend wants just a basic hop up, 650 4bbl mild cam duals and a good tune up.
And you want a fire breathing monster, if your use to big blocks they have so much torque you can afford to throw away lots of the under 3000 rpm power especially in a light car with deep gears and high stall. A 318 ain’t like that especially in a heavy car with high way gears.

What power level are we talking about 250-300 hp 300-350hp 400 plus hp.

the stock 318 heads are good for about 300 hp, after that you either have to port or go with 340/360 heads or magnum or aftermarket.

To me Trick flows are for 500 plus hp. You could bolt them on a lesser engine.

If you want more than 300 hp
I guess I would be thinking like Eddy heads or pro comp, EQ’s, or even just plane old Magnums.
With a roller hydraulic or just a regular solid cam with .500” plus lift but 210 to 220 @ .050”.
I was thinking around 400hp would make a substantial difference vs stock and would not require much with good flowing heads. Small cam, good intake and I'm there. If I wanted to push it I'd go with tall single plane intake and solid roller cam + stroker kit. My experience with 340 showed me that it needs rpms to make it a fast car, but it would also drive great around town at low speeds. Granted, it cant be compared to my big block but it was to be expected.
We can get Edelbrock heads, but trick flows seem best value.

Did I stutter, the 360 is your choice and my last choice. I have one 360 and it's in a W2OO truck. The only big block you beat are the ones that broke out.

Oh please I had so many lenghts on them all they saw was this view..

20200526_122238.jpg

I was thinking around 400hp would make a substantial difference vs stock and would not require much with good flowing heads. Small cam, good intake and I'm there. If I wanted to push it I'd go with tall single plane intake and solid roller cam + stroker kit. My experience with 340 showed me that it needs rpms to make it a fast car, but it would also drive great around town at low speeds. Granted, it cant be compared to my big block but it was to be expected.

Trick Flows are hard to pass up for the money, seem like you want what you want, just be more conservative with cam should be fine. Maybe go with a deeper first gear and or more rear gear, with the right converter and cam choice should be able to make it work.

Let us know how it turns out, interesting to know how trick flows work on a mid powered 318.

Last edited:
I would leave it as it is change carburettor and manifold blow through carby and put a hair dryer ( Turbo) you won’t need to go more than 8 lbs boost , to keep motor together . Will make good power all around and will pull that sled easy and make it a great cruiser.

OK

trick flows have flows at lifts you will never use way too much for a 318 unless you are building a bracket trailer queen and less flow under .500 than ported iron or Magnum heads
Air gap goes with the trick flows, not in the rpm for a street SW
That cam suggestion borders on ridiculous- see bracket racer above

He would be better off with a STOCK 9.2:1 318
256 cam say 460 lift
dual plane manifold anything but an Air Gap
600 cfm Vac sec carb
no rockers unless he wants to buy the B3 kit and custom pushrods an d even there not worth the money
he needs torque 2000-4500
FORGET HORSEPOWER give up 50 HP and gain 50 ft lbs of torque
or box stock motor with a blower spring for a new timing chain what 67gt just said
another solution is a roller 360 or take out Magnum 360 and tell people it's a 318

w

So You should understand the fact that I am trying to use what I have. Yet you just bash the 318 idea with big block as the only option

No, quite the contrary. I'm not bashing the 318 at all. I LOVE 318s. I am trying to save you disappointment. Unless you build "some" form of stroker 318, I believe you will be disappointed. I'm a huge 318 advocate. It's just in this case, I think you would be happier "doing it differently". BUt if that's what you have and all you have, what choice do you have?

WOW I think I should do that with J heads and just pick the right cam. This is great and price seems competitive to my initial idea.
I didnt take forced induction into account because I basically wanted to make trouble free engine setup and for me less extras is less problems.

The 410hp 318 in mentioned earlier challenger seems to work great. It is quick of the line, sound great and it has HUGE cam comparing to the one I picked. This i why I was thinking to do what I initially listed.

Remember he is in Europe as in “Warsaw Poland”

So what Intake and carb do I use? What cam do you suggest? I will use big valve J heads that I took off 340ci some time ago, will do mild port job on them.

OK

trick flows have flows at lifts you will never use way too much for a 318 unless you are building a bracket trailer queen and less flow under .500 than ported iron or Magnum heads
Air gap goes with the trick flows, not in the rpm for a street SW
That cam suggestion borders on ridiculous- see bracket racer above

He would be better off with a STOCK 9.2:1 318
256 cam say 460 lift
dual plane manifold anything but an Air Gap
600 cfm Vac sec carb
no rockers unless he wants to buy the B3 kit and custom pushrods an d even there not worth the money
he needs torque 2000-4500
or box stock motor with a blower spring for a new timing chain what 67gt just said
another solution is a roller 360 or take out Magnum 360 and tell people it's a 318

Great to the point advice.
This is EXACTLY what your friend needs to do if you must keep the 318.
It seems that the whole purpose of this build would be for bragging rights and sound rather than practical engine building for the intended purpose as stated in the O.P.

Being a big fan of '69 Coronets, I have had several of them over the years (and still have a few of them).
I have driven stock 318 automatic 4 doors for many thousands of miles over the years and loved them.
They are a great combination of looks, modest power, and driveability.
I also had a '69 Super Bee with a 440 4 speed 3:54 Dana rear end, and a '69 Coronet R/T with the same combo.
They are a whole different animal as to be expected from a 318 '69 Coronet 4 door (or Wagon).

You asked for suggestions in the O.P. and changed the game later on to say that this would be a 318 build only.
That is why I stated that the post by Wymrider is your best bet now that strokers and big blocks are out of the picture.

Love the Challenger video BTW and thanks for posting it!

Good luck, and let us know how this turn out..........

w

So what Intake and carb do I use? What cam do you suggest? I will use big valve J heads that I took off 340ci some time ago, will do mild port job on them.
The very parts you suggest or said were to be used.

-
Back