Highest flowing sbm heads?

-
It's a big block? Only thing? You mean "only things", you listed 2. I'll list more, it's not over head cammed and it has push rods. Can you think of any more?? You aren't going to address the boost guys, the 451 guys, and block strength guys ???? LOL I take it you have a "burr" about Gen III hemi's, so you single that "off topic" person... got it!
Okay genius, what parts will a Gen lll share with a small block? Crank? No. Rods? No. Push rods? No. Intake? No. Pistons............ Do you get my point? It's not a small block, period, never was and never will be.

Those other guys aren't making a fool out of themselves by continuing to post useless B.S. claiming that a different engine platform is a small block.

Okay genius, what parts will a Gen lll share with a small block? Crank? No. Rods? No. Push rods? No. Intake? No. Pistons............ Do you get my point? It's not a small block, period, never was and never will be.

Those other guys aren't making a fool out of themselves by continuing to post useless B.S. claiming that a different engine platform is a small block.
Thanks, not many references me as genius :)
So, parts have to enterchange with your LA to be a small block. So I guess 289's, 350's, 302's, and all the such are not small blocks. Got it!

Thanks, not many references me as genius :)
So, parts have to enterchange with your LA to be a small block. So I guess 289's, 350's, 302's, and all the such are not small blocks. Got it!
You truly are a genius. Please stay with me, the discussion is about small block Mopars. I know that's hard for your huge intellect to dumb it's self down enough to comprehend, but please try to keep up.

WHEW!!!! YOU BOYS KNOW HOW TO BICKER!

So, I'll "set the record straight"

1. I asked a general question about what are the highest flowing SBM heads compatible with a stock block. I'm a curious guy. I find it interesting, and hey, maybe, JUST MAYBE, we can learn something from those who know. Anyhow I think I have a good general direction and approach to this, should I go that route. Plenty to consider. Just because I don't have a 100% definite direction with my build right now doesn't mean I don't want to learn more so I can start planning.

2. I love going fast and seeing people play with all kinds of cars. Expensive, high dollar builds, hell yeah. Cheap, take some shortcuts but still go fast builds, hell yeah! Hemi swaps, LS swaps, 2JZ swaps, old school, new school, love it. Does it make big power, go fast , straight line or in Twisties, and is novel and interesting? Bring it on!

3. I definitely don't have the wealth of Mopar/drag car experience probably 60% of you do. Maybe a higher percentage, but there's a lot of fake posers in Internet land. New and old school. So that's why I'm here asking questions. I'm not pretending I'm something I'm not.

4. Am I on a budget? Yeah sure. There's a lot of reasons for that, that I will not go into on a $@&!ING internet forum. But I'm definitely in the "high earner" category. So over time as my financial position hopefully improves that'll change. That said, regardless of my budget, I still love big buck and low buck builds and have an appreciation for it, regardless. Even if I make it big, I'll still do **** like "low buck 360 build" because it's fun.

5. I don't mind learning more about the modern hemi stuff. I wouldn't want a pig of a modern challenger or charger for a drag car or a weekend cruiser, but the powerplant definitely has a lot going for it and is something I'll consider in the future.

6. I have, driven and ridden in very fast cars and motorcycles. So I do know what a high power car is and what power to weight means. Fastest car I've been in weighed about 600 lbs and head close to 200 hp. So the equivalent, power to weight, of a 2700 lb/900 hp car. I'm sure some of you have been in faster. That's cool too! But that was a track car not a straight line deal. The lateral g's it could pull would make you **** your pants.

7. For me, it's all about having fun, learning, making friends and enjoying the experience. So that's what I'll keep doing. I'm not gonna lie though some of you are a bit ragged around the edges and I would hope you aren't so obnoxious in real life. Maybe some of y'all should go on a little retreat together, you might actually like each other's company, and learn at the same time!

Anyhow, I'll go back to work now. Too much to do.

:popcorn:

You truly are a genius. Please stay with me, the discussion was about small block Mopars. I know that's hard for your huge intellect to dumb it's self down enough to comprehend, but please try to keep up.
So I brought up a small block mopar? One post, and the OP has liked and agreed with it.... pages of folks that couldn't let it go.

Okay genius, what parts will a Gen lll share with a small block? Crank? No. Rods? No. Push rods? No. Intake?
I don’t think that was the point …. We all know it’s different in a LOT of ways.
Do you get my point? It's not a small block, period, never was and never will be.
If it was a not a small block, not a big block, what do you call it? Besides a HEMI block. A 3rd classification of blocks?
I’m just curious of what your thinking and where you stand on that block size/category.

I don’t think that was the point …. We all know it’s different in a LOT of ways.

If it was a not a small block, not a big block, what do you call it? Besides a HEMI block. A 3rd classification of blocks?
I’m just curious of what your thinking and where you stand on that block size/category.
The Gen lll is it's own series alone from big and small blocks. The A and LA will share some parts, same with the B and RB, even the Hemi will share some parts with a B or RB. Other than the bell housing bolt pattern I don't know of any parts the Gen lll share with a small block. :thumbsup:

If we're going to say the bell housing bolt pattern defines what family the engine is, are all Chevy's big or small blocks?

The Gen lll is it's own series alone from big and small blocks. The A and LA will share some parts, same with the B and RB, even the Hemi will share some parts with a B or RB. Other than the bell housing bolt pattern I don't know of any parts the Gen lll share with a small block. :thumbsup:

If we're going to say the bell housing bolt pattern defines what family the engine is, are all Chevy's big or small blocks?
You classify the g3 HEMI as it’s own block category. OK
Is the block big or small? The physical size. In your eyes.

If it can or can’t share parts with any other engine is not here or there. It doesn’t matter if it can or can’t. Just simply the block size is the question.

Thanks

You classify the g3 HEMI as it’s own block category. OK
Is the block big or small? The physical size. In your eyes.

If it can or can’t share parts with any other engine is not here or there. It doesn’t matter if it can or can’t. Just simply the block size is the question.

Thanks
To me it’s a Gen lll regardless of the physical size.

LOL! I see it as a small block. The fact that it shares nothing or next to nothing with the LA & A engines means nothing. The physical size of the block as I have seen them sitting next to each other in my buddies garage showed me there almost the same size. The pented are up from withstanding, milled off, the blocks are super close to the naked eye standing over them in there physical size.

You kind of have to NOT be looking to miss a big block sitting next to a small block and not notice the size difference.

It’s a G3 to me as well. The G3’s size says small block.
Put it next to a G2 426 block and the size is obvious.
One could say, “The small block G3 HEMI……”

To me it’s a Gen lll regardless of the physical size.
And also the OP specifically was asking about "big power" capable heads for his 418" LA short block of OE origin and was told repeatedly to not even attempt to use some of the top tier heads due to fitment/making it work compatibility i.e. lifter angle and yes to my understanding there are some 59 degree W9's but still you would be wise to use them on a 59 degree race block and also the FACT of what a stock block should be used for and not used for and to be honest I think he is out in lala land as he for some reason wants to put 1000hp capable heads on his short block and we all know how that would end in short order but then of course we get the trolls and they had to come in and muddy the waters with their irrelevant nonsense.

Last edited:
LOL! I see it as a small block. The fact that it shares nothing or next to nothing with the LA & A engines means nothing. The physical size of the block as I have seen them sitting next to each other in my buddies garage showed me there almost the same size. The pented are up from withstanding, milled off, the blocks are super close to the naked eye standing over them in there physical size.

You kind of have to NOT be looking to miss a big block sitting next to a small block and not notice the size difference.

Can he use Gen 3 Hemi heads on his 418" LA short block?

Block size is generally the factor determining big or small block. To me (with a few exceptions ) 400 inches, or there abouts, determines size, if the physical block size doesn't change .
A 287 or 326 Pontiac is a small block, a 400, 428, or 455 is a big block even though the blocks are physically the same size.

Can he use Gen 3 Hemi heads on his 418" LA short block?
You and I know this answer and the question is moot since my only question here has been addressed by the person I was asking. It also had nothing to do with the cylinder heads.

Any discussion down this rabbit hole is something I’m not going to participate in.

I’ve left replies earlier in the thread about what heads the OP can use and are available. None of them where G3 HEMI heads. Feel free to check on that post.

Have a great day buddy! I’m going back to gutter repair on the house.

A Briggs is a small block, some Kohlers too, LOL. What about assembled engine size?

It's all good, regardless of what we call it, it doesn't fit in the context of the OP's question. :)

Add that the G3 and LA share bore spacings, and the deck of a G3 is a touch shorter than an LA. Also, the first G3 used a 318 bore size with a 360 crank stroke to get a 5.7 displacement. Might not have parts that interchange, but the G3 has little to compare to a BBM while it seems to have at least been based on the LA.

And a displacement cutoff of 400 doesn't really work since there is a 350 B motor. Seems like the better criteria would be bore spacing and deck height when compared to other motors of the same brand.

Add that the G3 and LA share bore spacings, and the deck of a G3 is a touch shorter than an LA. Also, the first G3 used a 318 bore size with a 360 crank stroke to get a 5.7 displacement. Might not have parts that interchange, but the G3 has little to compare to a BBM while it seems to have at least been based on the LA.

And a displacement cutoff of 400 doesn't really work since there is a 350 B motor. Seems like the better criteria would be bore spacing and deck height when compared to other motors of the same brand.
Regarding the 350, true. But I reference actual block size. If it's a bigger block than the small block, it's a big block! Lol
I qualified it to remove comparisons of displacements to engine families that only have one block. A 408 stroker is still a small block, a 383 Mopar is a big block, a 383 chevy is a small block, a 400 small block chevy is a small block, a 396 is a big block etc.

WHEW!!!! YOU BOYS KNOW HOW TO BICKER!

So, I'll "set the record straight"

1. I asked a general question about what are the highest flowing SBM heads compatible with a stock block. I'm a curious guy. I find it interesting, and hey, maybe, JUST MAYBE, we can learn something from those who know. Anyhow I think I have a good general direction and approach to this, should I go that route. Plenty to consider. Just because I don't have a 100% definite direction with my build right now doesn't mean I don't want to learn more so I can start planning.

2. I love going fast and seeing people play with all kinds of cars. Expensive, high dollar builds, hell yeah. Cheap, take some shortcuts but still go fast builds, hell yeah! Hemi swaps, LS swaps, 2JZ swaps, old school, new school, love it. Does it make big power, go fast , straight line or in Twisties, and is novel and interesting? Bring it on!

3. I definitely don't have the wealth of Mopar/drag car experience probably 60% of you do. Maybe a higher percentage, but there's a lot of fake posers in Internet land. New and old school. So that's why I'm here asking questions. I'm not pretending I'm something I'm not.

4. Am I on a budget? Yeah sure. There's a lot of reasons for that, that I will not go into on a $@&!ING internet forum. But I'm definitely in the "high earner" category. So over time as my financial position hopefully improves that'll change. That said, regardless of my budget, I still love big buck and low buck builds and have an appreciation for it, regardless. Even if I make it big, I'll still do **** like "low buck 360 build" because it's fun.

5. I don't mind learning more about the modern hemi stuff. I wouldn't want a pig of a modern challenger or charger for a drag car or a weekend cruiser, but the powerplant definitely has a lot going for it and is something I'll consider in the future.

6. I have, driven and ridden in very fast cars and motorcycles. So I do know what a high power car is and what power to weight means. Fastest car I've been in weighed about 600 lbs and head close to 200 hp. So the equivalent, power to weight, of a 2700 lb/900 hp car. I'm sure some of you have been in faster. That's cool too! But that was a track car not a straight line deal. The lateral g's it could pull would make you **** your pants.

7. For me, it's all about having fun, learning, making friends and enjoying the experience. So that's what I'll keep doing. I'm not gonna lie though some of you are a bit ragged around the edges and I would hope you aren't so obnoxious in real life. Maybe some of y'all should go on a little retreat together, you might actually like each other's company, and learn at the same time!

Anyhow, I'll go back to work now. Too much to do.

:popcorn:
to answer the question point 1 trick flow compared to my fully ported big mouth heads they blow the big mouths away , suppose the indy and victor heads would be better but that involves more money , stock block nothing exotic trick flow would be my choice unless you got PBR skills with a grinder

-
Back