Holley Street Dominator vs '73 Cast intake

street dominator or factory cast?

• Holley Street Dominator will improve the performance

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Factory Cast intake is just better... especially for this car

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • won't see a difference either way.....

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I have no idea...

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters
-

318willrun

Utube channel 318willrun
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I picked up this Holley SD intake for 30 bucks. I'm going to see if it will perform better than the cast on my low dollar 318 in my '74 Duster. I don't know what the results will be, but I'm installing it today. We know intakes perform according to the project. Right intake for the right project. My question is this: Is this combo the right place for the Holley SD intake? Here are some fast facts:
  1. Holley SD has small 318 ports, which I'm going to gasket match to the 318 gasket
  2. Duster has 2.76 gears, stock converter, stock exhaust manifolds, stock bottom end 318 with 120,*** miles. Home-ported heads, added 670 holley with Summit 109 dollar cam/lifters.
  3. Car ran a 14.95 @ 94.9 mph. 60 ft times were lacking......
Your thoughts: Will this intake lower the E.T. on this car ????? Will it be a better Driver??? I'm doing this only for my curiosity and to share here on FABO.

DSCN0896.JPG

DSCN0898.JPG

it'll improve it, just not much
I hope your right, but I honestly have no idea. I like to do stuff like this. I didn't put it on today because we had a heat wave move in, it got over 90*, so I'll let the temp drop a little.

Well, if it has a low end issue, the 2.76, stock converter and 318 will expose it.

That's not true. The Street Dominator is one of a handfull of single plane intakes that breaks that mold. The plenum is large and that adds back the bottom end normally lost to a single plane. The Edelbrock Streetmaster is another example, although Holley got it "more right". You won't lose a thing on the bottom end. Might even pick it up. That's how the intake was designed.

That's not true. The Street Dominator is one of a handfull of single plane intakes that breaks that mold. The plenum is large and that adds back the bottom end normally lost to a single plane. The Edelbrock Streetmaster is another example, although Holley got it "more right". You won't lose a thing on the bottom end. Might even pick it up. That's how the intake was designed.
Exactly! You are correct. It's why I even bought it to try. I was only replying to the post that said low end will suffer, and my reply was "IF" the intake has a low end issue, the 2.76 gears, stock converter and 318 will expose it. I don't think that "if" will exist. But the cast intake is hard to beat, which is why my curiosity made me buy it to try.

Make sure the air at the track is the same. I've had bad air ad a half second to my 1/4 mile.

we tried one of those years ago. compared to stock cast intake, 1973, the street dom intake was 3 tenths slower and lost MPH. it was sold soon after.

we tried one of those years ago. compared to stock cast intake, 1973, the street dom intake was 3 tenths slower and lost MPH. it was sold soon after.
If that ends up being the case, I have another intake to try ....... It will be test "2" :D

That's a huge drop!

I think, if you were testing against any other factory cast (aside from the 71 or 72 OEM 4bbls) it might be "ok". Not night and day, but an improvement. BUt you're testing against one of the best (71 or 2 being better IMO) factory cast intakes Mopar used. So I don't see much of a change. It's a lot lighter... But I don't see it making much more usable power.

I think, if you were testing against any other factory cast (aside from the 71 or 72 OEM 4bbls) it might be "ok". Not night and day, but an improvement. BUt you're testing against one of the best (71 or 2 being better IMO) factory cast intakes Mopar used. So I don't see much of a change. It's a lot lighter... But I don't see it making much more usable power.
I agree in the factory cast being hard to beat, but I think the factory cast works best when a TQ is bolted on top. I have a 670 Holley on top of it using the aluminum 1 inch adaptor. My only thought is the Holley SD intake, being square bore, will match the 670 Holley and be a direct bolt-on.

I doubt you break even.

If it does work OK, et will likely suffer, MPH may be better. Just a guess as a dual plane will be better in that build on most every occasion.

here are the weights .... Looks like about a 33.5 lbs difference

DSCN0902.JPG

DSCN0903.JPG

It's on and running. Runs really good to drive. I would say my "seat dyno" says it's about the same up to about 3600 rpm's, and then I think the Street Dominator hit's a little harder up to about 5200 rpm's. It for sure is more noticeable of a "hit". It's like the secondaries, cam, and intake all kick in at the same time LOL.....

DSCN0904.JPG

Or the adapter restriction is gone.... that is what I would suspect.
yeah, and I had to use the plastic spacer on the Holley SD because the fuel pipe hit the mount that's used for nothing. I wanted to bolt the carb directly to the intake. I could have ground down the mount post, but the intake was already on the car so I just added the spacer. That 1" spacer is probably costing me a small amount of low end.

DSCN0906.JPG

If no noticeable drop in low rpm and it pulls a little harder up top, i'd call that a win!

I find your curiosity produces both entertaining and informative threads. Thank you 318willrun

If no noticeable drop in low rpm and it pulls a little harder up top, i'd call that a win!
Well, the "hit" in the power band seems more sudden, but I will take it to the drag way and get the E.T. slip, and I'll post it win, lose, or draw. I too, think it could be a win. maybe not much, but a win. :D

-
Back