Honest feedback on wheel/tire combo please

-

ACME SS

Reaction score
When I purchased my 71 Demon project in December 2020 it had these 5x4- 17" Boyd wheels with 225/50R17 up front and 225/55R17 low profile tires in the rear.

I absolutely HATED them when I first purchased the car but I have kind of grown used to them...like that old rust stain in the garage sink. I'm kind of old school with wheels.

If you wouldn't mind providing honest feedback I'd appreciate it. If you notice I deleted the side marker lights, so maybe these are more appropriate than say old school cragar's? I have a theory that low profile tires appeal to a certain age bracket so if you wouldn't mind giving your age +/- 10 yrs along with you "yeah" or "nay", I think it would be interesting.
Thanks! Jerry
IMG_5622.jpg
IMG_6603.jpg
IMG_6606.jpg
IMG_6602.jpg

Not bad- I've definitely seen worse. Sort of a "Torque Thrust" look. Generally, I'm of the same opinion as you, although certain "combos" will grow on me easier than others.
I'm in my early 60s.

I’m 53 and don’t think they look bad. They fill the wells nicely. This is mine with 15”.

BBC27F4D-2C6F-4A7F-AB2C-B28785ABB4A5.jpeg

Ok, I'm 54 and I really dislike large diameter wheels on old Mopars. That being said, I actually think those wheels look cool on your car! It's a modern touch to a throwback style. It doesn't look out of place like some newer style rims certainly do.
17" is about as tall as I would ever consider.

i like them. better then over done unilug cragars thats for sure...

i'm 52 but i like 17 and 18" wheels on older cars.. 14 and 15" are just too small looking and that big goofy side wall isn't a great look for me..

the long shackles bother me..

pics of my old dart with 17's all the way around..

dart carlisle fixed.jpg

Last edited:
41 and think they look great. That is a timeless style IMHO. But in the end, there is only one opinion that matters.

I don’t think they look bad. But I am a function over form guy for the most part. I think the style and size of the wheel tire package has to fit the build style of the car. Also to me specific wheel design and dimensions, like backspacing, wheel lip depth, will change my opinion on certain wheels. You can have the exact same wheel design as the guy next to you but have the correct dimensions to fit the car and it will look much better or much worse. Ride height also plays a big part in making the wheels look correct.

I'm older than anyone else has admitted to and I like them.
They're based on a classic design and the tires have sufficient sidewall to still look appropriate on your Demon.
JMO

I think they suit the car fairly well, 17" is becoming more popular and common on these cars, as mentioned above there is an old school look to them. Closing fast on 59 here. Personally I really don't like the ultra thin sidewall tires and huge diameter wheels, that setup is still appealing IMO.

I’m 53 and don’t think they look bad. They fill the wells nicely. This is mine with 15”.

View attachment 1715909169
Yeah this would be my first choice. Is that B5 blue? mine was originally B5 and someone painted the exterior with like big bad blue from an amc or something then they did the engine compartment with late model B5, which is totally different. I used a Kirker "blue metallic" which is close but no cigar.

i like them. better then over done unilug cragars thats for sure...

i'm 52 but i like 17 and 18" wheels on older cars.. 14 and 15" are just too small looking and that big goofy side wall isn't a great look for me..

the long shackles bother me..

pics of my old dart with 17's all the way around..

View attachment 1715909173
Sweet car and I have to say, I love those wheels and tires on it!

Yes I like them. Suits your car really well.
Approaching 60
Dan

I don’t think they look bad. But I am a function over form guy for the most part. I think the style and size of the wheel tire package has to fit the build style of the car. Also to me specific wheel design and dimensions, like backspacing, wheel lip depth, will change my opinion on certain wheels. You can have the exact same wheel design as the guy next to you but have the correct dimensions to fit the car and it will look much better or much worse. Ride height also plays a big part in making the wheels look correct.
You are right on! I have used a wheel/tire site in the past which is getting harder and harder to find that has a calculator for backspacing, diameter, etc.. I think part of my problem with these wheels is that they just slapped them on. I've never been a fan of the fact the rear axles are narrower than the front on these A bodies. I would have pushed these out in the rear a little more.

I'm a "make it stock" person but I think the wheels and stance and tire profile all work together

Yeah this would be my first choice. Is that B5 blue? mine was originally B5 and someone painted the exterior with like big bad blue from an amc or something then they did the engine compartment with late model B5, which is totally different. I used a Kirker "blue metallic" which is close but no cigar.

First Gen Viper blue.

I am just short of 69. Not a fan of big wheels either, but I agree with those who give your particular combo a pass.
But yeah, the shackles, and missing sidemarkers, meh; but I'd be more concerned about what appears to be, tiny-looking front drums.
Jerry, I would be happy to own and drive that car, allbeit with disc-brakes, and a rockin' hi-compression 367/4-speed! She'd be spending a goodly amount at full-lock and tires on fire, living up to her name.

Some of the better Boyd wheels I’ve seen, the only thing I would do is as long as you have the wheels upgrade your breaks.

I think they look great! I'm in my 40's. I think that with 17's you can fool a lot of people if you run the right size tires.

If you want to alter the look a bit and make them a touch more "old school" looking, you can run taller tires. In the back it looks like you have some room, even going to a 235/55/17 would make the sidewall a bit taller and make the rim look smaller visually, plus the contrast to the front wheel would give it a little more of a classic look. In the front a 225/50/17 is already almost 26" tall, which is about the tallest you're going to pull off without significant body mods. It also looks like those wheels are pretty far out toward the fender, you'd need more backspace to do anything much different in the front.

And yeah, I agree with AJ, some disks up front would really help your cause. And change the look some too!

I agree with the above consensus, the car looks good as an entire package. I’m usually a fan of a 70 sidewall, because I’m old and thats why, but I also go on a car by car basis, and those suit your car. I wouldn’t change unless I really loved something else.

Im 30, if im being honest i really like the car, i hate the wheels i hate everthing over 15" on anything older than 73

I like em, and I'm 69. I was looking at those for my 67 barracuda. The choice in 5 on 4 is so limited, sometimes the best you can do, is the best you can do!
I wanted something other than rallies or steelies.
To be perfectly honest and blunt, I would prefer the torque thrust copies that ETWheels make in 15" 5 on 4, but they are something like $2000/set of four, and I simply can't justify that kind of money.
Other than the ET's, I can't think of anything better than what you have now.

40's I like them, I'm a fan of old an new school, a little more fussy when comes modern, 17 are no longer considered big it's a middle ground.

I am just North of sixty and frankly cannot fathom why you would even care what other folks think about your wheel and tire combo? If you like them, and they make you smile every time you look at them they are just right. I think mine are perfect. You should think the same about yours regardless of what others think! That’s why their key don’t fit!

96E4170F-55BC-4ACF-964D-78CB621E49B9.jpeg

-
Back