Hope GM is quakin' in their boots.............

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Just heard Toyota was fined a bb.b.b..b..b..bbbbb..b.buillllllllioooon dollars

One talking head predicted the total cost with fines, settlements and other "stuff" could actually be well over 4 billion

GM is in deep do do. I'm sure there is lots of this going on with all manufacturers. We just haven't heard about it all yet.

What bothers me is that the govt. is fining toyota because the owners are too dumb to turn off their ignition??

Why would seeing GM get hurt financially be a good thing?
Do you loathe big business, like liberals do?

Loans paid back ...apparently, so no biggie. But people need jobs no matter where. Some good Mopar people working at GM and Ford I am sure!
But.....if they let crap go out there door (knowingly by the way) then yup hit'em hard! The troubles at GM are nothing new and have been around a long time.
Hey, blue Oval... next? Firestone tires... now Michelin ya. ya blame the supplier. But who is sourcing out your parts? Sub-standard parts at that. Well....hope the new Chrysler-Fiat Blah-Blah-Blah... Yada-Yada-Yada....can surpass the major recall lists!

im a gm technitian in indiana and today we were told about a new recall on cobalts, hhr, saturn ion, pontiac g5, and some equinoxs and torrents. apparently the ignition switch has a weak spring in it and people who have a lot of weight on their keychain are wearing the ignition switch out, causing it to turn back and shut the car off. thus, locking up the steering wheel. apparently there have been over 300 wrecks and 13 deaths because of it. today i got a saturn ion in for the exact same reason, the girl that drove the car read today about all these accidents happening and got scared of the car and brought it in before anything happened. i went to get the new "updated" ignition switch from parts and gm hasnt even released it yet. it wont be avaliable to dealers til the middle of april. and according to the gm recall policy if the driver brings the car in becasue they are "scared to drive it" they get a free rental car until its fixed. so the girl that came in today is getting a free rental til the middle of april! unfortunately this is not the first time things like this have happened. just a few months ago we were dealing with the new 14 silverados that were potentially catching fire due to overfueling and the converters getting so hot they caught plastic around them on fire. my advise, dont buy a new chevy.

in the meantime, job security!

Well it's not "job security" when people stop buying them

In either the case of the Toys or GM, "we" have been building cars, for, "how long?" now, again?

I mean "we" have not just started building cars, not even ones with locking columns for "a few months." The idea that a car designer can't seem to design

a hardy ignition that will put up with a bit of wear

A throttle that actually works

an easy, fast way to kill an engine.......WITHOUT....shutting off airbags

Is INCREDIBLY troubling.

I'm always bitchin' about my 95 Olds, which TO THIS DAY only has 50K on the clock, and GM put a damned heater in it on which you can NOT select a defrost to heat ratio

Loans paid back ...apparently, so no biggie. But people need jobs no matter where. Some good Mopar people working at GM and Ford I am sure!
But.....if they let crap go out there door (knowingly by the way) then yup hit'em hard! The troubles at GM are nothing new and have been around a long time.
Hey, blue Oval... next? Firestone tires... now Michelin ya. ya blame the supplier. But who is sourcing out your parts? Sub-standard parts at that. Well....hope the new Chrysler-Fiat Blah-Blah-Blah... Yada-Yada-Yada....can surpass the major recall lists!

Government( taxpayers) lost 10.5 Billion on the GM deal. Just to be fair about auto manufacturers record see my post about 2 of my Mopar's and recalls here http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=270642

Dodge is really no better with recalls. Although this isn't quite as dangerous, apparently. I have a 2010 Ram 1500. I got a recall notice over a year ago for the differential yoke nut possibly coming loose causing the diff to deteriorate and lockup.They say they will have to check it and if it is suspect the diff will have to be rebuilt (bearings) and if not the nut will have to be replaced for this new one. It kicker is the dealership claims the Chrysler only issues each dealership about one new nut per month. My truck is on a list and still hasn't come up. Within this time I actually have a second notice for the same thing even with the truck on the waiting list. Cant hear the howling gears yet!!!! And all this before Fiat.

GM is owned by the government. They paid the interest back but never the debt they borrowed.

GM is trying to get out of law suit by saying that this was old GM before they went bankrupt now the new GM has no liability to the old GM

Apparently, a hell of a lot more than just (but not limited to) Fox News.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/12/16/general-motors-gm-bailout-repayment/4043607/

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2010/04/23/did-general-motors-really-repay-taxpayer-bailout/

http://money.cnn.com/2013/12/09/news/companies/gm-bailout-stock-sale/

Please cite your claims.

Also, stop buying new cars. They are made out of I phones and the souls of Mandarin children, glued together with the tears of tax paying bald eagles.

You know how I can tell that my keys won't kill me? They've been working, without replacement or maintenance of any kind for anywhere from 22-40 years on every car I own.

All three domestic car makers have been making **** for a long time. Finally coming home to roost. Toyota never had serious recalls like this until it became Americanized, built plants here, got corrupted by the UAW and started building crap. I was a Toyota tech for a long time and all the cars we had the worst problems with were made in America. Every single time.

Ford has ignition lock cylinders that hang and not turn after a good bit of wear.
Shoppers/potential buyers have stated, "The corse, clunking ignition switch turned me off when I turned your car on".
On one hand I could say all those Ford owners who made a big noise about having to pay for a tow and pay dearly for a new lock set should count their blessings.
On the other hand I could ask, Where are mfgrs supposed to draw a line ?
All that any of them try to do is provide what the buyer wants.
Ford doesn't plan to make money from lock replacements.
GM doesn't plan to harm their buyers.
Chit happens.

Ford has ignition lock cylinders that hang and not turn after a good bit of wear.
Shoppers/potential buyers have stated, "The corse, clunking ignition switch turned me off when I turned your car on".
On one hand I could say all those Ford owners who made a big noise about having to pay for a tow and pay dearly for a new lock set should count their blessings.
On the other hand I could ask, Where are mfgrs supposed to draw a line ?
All that any of them try to do is provide what the buyer wants.
Ford doesn't plan to make money from lock replacements.
Chit happens.

Yes, Chit happens, but it is how it is handeled that counts. Toyota, and maybe GM are being hit with big fines, not because of the "defect", but because they misled the regulators, and let the problem continue for years after they knew about it.

Dodge is really no better with recalls.

That's very true. As MoPar gear heads it's difficult to admit that many Chrysler products have been recalled for a plethora of reasons, and some repeatedly for the same reason. No car company is immune to recalls. NONE - PERIOD.

Personally, I returned a NEW 2012 Hemi Durango, all wheel drive with less than a thousand miles on it as a lemon. It was not a good vehicle, in spite of my MoPar side telling me it was.
My Ford van has been recalled, so has my GMC truck, and my Ram Cummins 3500. ALL brands suffer from recalls. That's a fact that loyalists would argue, but would do so incorrectly.

Brand loyalty doesn't make one vehicle any better than another vehicle, or one manufacture better than another. It simply makes us wrong, more times than we're willing to admit.

Chit happens.

No, Red this is where you are completely wrong

GM (or Ford, anybody else) did not plan IN THE BEGINNING to harm their buyers

But once THEY KNEW they had these problems, and started a cover up, settling with some "in secret" and not being public and stepping up about this IT BECAME a plan to hurt buyers.

THIS is what the hoopla is all about. Ford tried the same crap over the Firestone tire mess

Lennox tried it with pulse furnaces. (and I lost one HELL of a lot of respect for Lennox over that, too)

See...............THAT's the whole thing..................."do the right thing." I caught "the same attitude" over the cam sensor in my Ford Ranger, which had only about 70K when it failed. These can freeze up and break the cam. The Ford dealer acted like "they'd never heard of such a thing". If you search this, you'll find a LOT of such failures.

(Not saying this example is a safety issue, just the old "denial")

today i got a saturn ion in for the exact same reason, the girl that drove the car read today about all these accidents happening and got scared of the car and brought it in before anything happened. i went to get the new "updated" ignition switch from parts and gm hasnt even released it yet. it wont be avaliable to dealers til the middle of april. and according to the gm recall policy if the driver brings the car in becasue they are "scared to drive it" they get a free rental car until its fixed. so the girl that came in today is getting a free rental til the middle of april!

Are they giving her a Saturn as a rental car? :sad1:

I have been doing car audio for about 23 years now and every time I work on a GM product, I wonder if a panel is not going to go on properly or if something is just going to stop working altogether. A friend of mine bought a Chevy Cruze and it was by far the worst car he had ever owned. GM replaced his engine once and turbo once - with less than 20K on it!

I gotta say...I would never buy a NEW domestic car. Some of them look great and are pretty flashy and spiffy but...meh, I won't believe the hype.

I have a 2010 Honda Fit and a 2003 Nissan 350Z - both cars are ridiculously reliable and have provided years of incredible performance, gas mileage and their build quality is pretty darn good too. I would never get a German car - unless I enjoy paying $800 for a fuel injector.

-
Back