Horsepower limit for out of the box Edelbrock RPM heads

-
whoop dee do another 300 cfm non offset rocker small block head

Imo, judging by the popularity of their BB Mopar heads, and the impact they’ve had on that segment of the market...... I’d say TF knows exactly what they’re doing with the SB offering.
There’s always room for a product that’s the “best” in its class, which I expect they will be, especially at that price point.
You want to run a .700 lift solid roller in your SBM, and not have to figure out how to get that into a head with 1.800 or less installed height?
No problem, just order the correct part number and you get a head with roller springs and a 2” installed height.

SEMA 2017: Trick Flow Shows Off New SBC & LA Mopar Cylinder Heads

small block mopar head

Don't get me wrong it WILL be a great product but it not earth shattering or new. We have had cheaper heads that with some porting work with flow in the 320 cfm area with non off-set rockers. I've talked to Mike and the guys and the reason I got excited was I was hoping for a BETTER head from them in the near future like they did with the big block head. Its a great company that gives back to the racers.

Last edited:
Imo, you won’t be able to touch a modified RPM style head, cfm for cfm, hardware for hardware, for what the TF’s are going to cost.
What does someone like Modern charge to CNC a set of SB RPM’s?
Hughes gets $1395 for one version of their full cnc porting, and $1480 for the Big Mouth version. That’s on top of the $1495 for the pair of heads.
And you haven’t upgraded the hardware yet.

The big spring, titanium retainer optioned TF heads will be about $2400/pr.

The TF BB heads aren’t earth shattering in terms of the actual heads themselves........ but in terms of “bang for the buck”, they are clearly on top.
I have no doubt the SB heads will follow in those footsteps.

Last edited:
Imo, you won’t be able to touch a modified RPM style head, cfm for cfm, hardware for hardware, for what the TF’s are going to cost.
What does someone like Modern charge to CNC a set of SB RPM’s?
Hughes gets $1395 for one version of their full cnc porting, and $1480 for the Big Mouth version. That’s on top of the $1495 for the pair of heads.
And you haven’t upgraded the hardware yet.

The big spring, titanium retainer optioned TF heads will be about $2400/pr.

The TF BB heads aren’t earth shattering in terms of the actual heads themselves........ but in terms of “bang for the buck”, they are clearly on top.
I have no doubt the SB heads will follow in those footsteps.

LOL. I guess maybe that's why I quit doing outside porting work. I never kept up to the times as far as how much to charge. The highest I ever charged someone was 600.00 and that was for the heads and i know for sure one intake but it may have been two intakes.

What would be real interesting to me is, 12 months after the TF SB is available to consumers....... how sales numbers for that head vs the SBM Edelbrock Victor head compare.

The hot street/strip head vs the race head.

What would be real interesting to me is, 12 months after the TF SB is available to consumers....... how sales numbers for that head vs the SBM Edelbrock Victor head compare.

I'm betting way more of the Trickflow heads will be sold because of related costs and most guys aren't interested in going as fast as the Edelbrock Victor is capable of. Victor heads take expensive rockers, new pistons, different intake, new or modified headers. And cost way more to begin with. I'm betting there sales are hurting so I would like to grab a set just in case they are discontinued.

I'm betting way more of the Trickflow heads will be sold because of related costs and most guys aren't interested in going as fast as the Edelbrock Victor is capable of. Victor heads take expensive rockers, new pistons, different intake, new or modified headers. And cost way more to begin with. I'm betting there sales are hurting so I would like to grab a set just in case they are discontinued.

The draw for the TFs is they are the first and only aluminum Mopar head that doesn't have bad quality control and sub-par hardware OOTB. The Eddys I got for my build were off a running engine but needed a full valve seat job, guides reamed, decks resurfaced, all new hardware and springs... the previous owner just bolted them on OOTB I'm surprised it ran decent at all. And yes there are many guys out there interested in an aluminum alternative to trying to fix up 30+ year-old iron heads or converting to a Magnum setup to run aftermarket iron replacements.

If I was more like you and had the means and experience to do my own cylinder head work my opinion might be different but I still have a ways to go to get to that level. Maybe in 10-15 years lol.

And that very thing sealed it for me. I don’t understand why they made such a head that requires such a huge effort to use. It’s bad enough with the old W 2/5 series head for regular guys to afford. IMO, they didn’t have to go that far. The header issue is insult to injury. They were saying W5 exhaust but there not exactly fitting the bolt pattern. So TTI stopped making the W5 flange in favor of the Victor.

The Victor head didn’t need to change the exhaust pattern, or change the valve angle. I’m also NOT purchasing a set to modify those issue just to use them.

Some of these last few posts are exactly why TF is coming out with the type of head they are.
Sure, they like coming out with parts that perform well, and maybe even something that gives them a leg up on the competition....... but what they really like is....... selling heads.

Last edited:
Why did they make a Victor head? Because thank God some guys do want to go fast. I wish I could have gone with a small block in my heads up car but I already had to much tied up in my big block stuff. It’s a be-itch to work on and I don’t know if I will ever finish that car by myself. W8-W9 combos take to many tricks to get there and to high of maintenance at the rpm they run at. I would love to have a Ritter block, Victor headed, nitrous combo as it would be so much easier to work on than a big block squeezed in a stock front frame stock firewall set up.

Some of these last posts are exactly[/] why TF is coming out with the type of head they are.
Sure, they like coming out with a part that performs well, maybe even something that has a leg up on the competition .......but what they really like is...... selling heads.

I agree 100%. It was a very smart move

Why did they make a Victor head? Because thank God some guys do want to go fast. I wish I could have gone with a small block in my heads up car but I already had to much tied up in my big block stuff. It’s a be-itch to work on and I don’t know if I will ever finish that car by myself. W8-W9 combos take to many tricks to get there and to high of maintenance at the rpm they run at. I would love to have a Ritter block, Victor headed, nitrous combo as it would be so much easier to work on than a big block squeezed in a stock front frame stock firewall set up.

Well, I truly believe that they didn’t need to alter the valve angle or send into production there so called W5 misdrilled pattern. Edelbrock didn’t need to do this for the Victor head. The could have easily kept the stock valve angle and properly drilled the exhaust holes and still have an excellent head.

The use of Big Block rocker arms aren’t a big deal. The use of Offset rockers are kind of the gimmie for a serious port so it is expected IMO. MoPar has done it since....
1976 when the W2 came out.

Well, I truly believe that they didn’t need to alter the valve angle or send into production there so called W5 misdrilled pattern. Edelbrock didn’t need to do this for the Victor head. The could have easily kept the stock valve angle and properly drilled the exhaust holes and still have an excellent head.

The use of Big Block rocker arms aren’t a big deal. The use of Offset rockers are kind of the gimmie for a serious port so it is expected IMO. MoPar has done it since....
1976 when the W2 came out.

Valve angle change produces more cfm more horsepower by getting the 2.15 valve away from the cylinder wall. We can’t always stay with 50 year old technology if we want to close the gap on Chevy and Ford. I’m all for it and if I wasn’t knee deep in my 360-1 headed 422 would already have a set. One more freshen on this stuff unless the market turns around for me and I can start with a Ritter block and keep the other build on a stand for a spare.

Valve angle change produces more cfm more horsepower by getting the 2.15 valve away from the cylinder wall. We can’t always stay with 50 year old technology if we want to close the gap on Chevy and Ford.

Thanks I know that but that was good to post up.

I still don’t bye into it. I say yes we can. We didn’t need it along with a huge valve and still flow well and make power. The option for it would have been better. Having it as the ONLY option keeps it expensive.

You can keep on praising it but most average guys can’t afford it or the expense that goes along with it.

Closing the gap with the other guys? Please. Let’s be serious for a few seconds. The only big thing missing was heads at an affordable level. Now it’s blocks & heads. When the W-7-8 were new, right there were your heads keeping up with the Jones.

All I will add is I put a thrashing on guys with better, more expensive parts every week and love doing it. When guys walk over to see my sons small block they walk away shaking their heads. Hard work and track testing will beat them if you are up to it. I’m winding down my race days and my son doesn’t have the desire to learn the tricks. He’s 10 times the driver I am but it ends there. I have a few guys interested in my heads up car so I may be selling it and if so I would have the money to upgrade

Best of luck in that endeavor with well wishes of great success to you.

A 300 cfm OOTB head by MoPar Performance.
W9’s. As tested by Shadydell speed shop.
(At shadydellspeedshop.com)
Overall cost is unknown to me at any level.

LIFT-----AS-CAST--------PORTED
------------IN/EX-----------IN/EX
.100”------72.5/N/A--------74.2/N/A
.200”---129.4/103.5-----141.5/102.8
.300”---189.8/146.6-----200.1/158.7
.400”---239.8/172.5-----245.0/203.6
.450”---265.6/176.0-----276.0/215.6
.500”---288.1/182.8-----303.6/226.0
.550”—293.2/182.8-----332.2/233.6
.600”---295.0/184.6-----349.8/241.5
.650”---295.0/184.6-----370.2/247.7
.700”---295.0/184.6-----379.2/251.1
.750”----N/A/N/A--------387.5/258.1

Edelbrock Victor head as Edelbrock reports it.
(Taken from Hughesengines web site.)

Lift Intake Exhaust
.050 39.3 29.7
.100 75.8 57.4
.150 116.1 84.8
.200 167.4 115.5
.250 207.6 134.5
.300 238.5 154.1
.350 267.5 170.9
.400 296.2 187.0
.450 320.9 201.7
.500 339.3 212.3
.550 348.5 221.4
.600 357.3 227.7
.650 362.4 233.6
.700 366.7 238.6
.750 371.1 243.1
.800 371.3 246.7

Thanks for posting. Clearly shows why the Victor is a very good head, IMO and probably worth every single penny.
296cfm @.400 lift?? Go figure...

Yea man, no problem. The earlier W-8 is a better head IMO. But, *I THINK* you can not get all the parts for them ether. A buddy has a set for sale. It isn't the normal run W8 head *I THINK* but you can ask him yourself. He is a goodfella. An Excellent dude!
This stuff trumps the Victor but of course, at a cost. Nothing new there.

[FOR SALE] - R3 W8 engine for sale

This is what Ryan J gets fout of them.

Shady Dell Speed Shop

but now gettingback to our orignal average mans head thread.....

Where were we?

Edelbrock
The updated iron Magnums
ProMaxx

What else?

Since they’re just another copy of the RPM heads, the Speedmaster head would easily support 500hp, used with the correct support equipment.
A decent solid cam, upgrade the springs, etc.

Want a little more?
Do a proper valve job and blend the bowls.
If your combo could tolerate a pretty decent sized cam, get the CR up closer to 11:1, and then the “easy” number(with corrected vj and bowl blend) gets closer to 540-550hp.
But that’s no different than with RPM heads.

Best bang for buck has to be ProMaxx CNC shocker, 284 @ 600 flow and $2000 for a pair.

I’d probably buy them bare($1647), and put my own choice of parts in them....... be a little more $$ though.

Actually...... if they were for me personally I’d buy Edelbrocks and just do them myself.

Last edited:
My local machine shop has a set of the CNC shockers on the self... next week I’ll be in doing some bowl porting on some EQ heads that I have there and I’ll ask if they want to flow them back to back.

Shocker

1AD0D727-914E-4854-9FC3-B43FF80D60CD.jpeg

6AEC442E-1A18-4DE4-A048-5738C2A42696.jpeg

-
Back