Horsepower limit for out of the box Edelbrock RPM heads

-
I am going to see how much i can get out of a set OOTB Edelbrock's i can get with a 340, will not be on the dyno, but i will have a time slip from 1/4 mile. And my 318 goes 91 in the 1/8th with OOTB Edelbrock's now.
Hey that's really good for a teener. Care to elaborate? Like weight, elevation and Scr/cam maybe?

I wouldn’t run them “ootb” myself, but then it only costs me some time to go through them and do a little tweaking.

265-270cfm is a pretty painless amount of porting, and they’ll make 550hp like that on the right combo.

At this point, I’d say if you’re on the consumer side of the counter, and you’re looking for more than that....... just wait til the TF’s come out.

The person I mentioned with the 507 hp Eddy head 408 is waiting to get a set of TFS heads (when they become available) worked by and from Modern cylinder head. It’s someone I know from a long time back and am hoping to catch a before and after ride. Putting a Comp 275 XEhl in place of the PP284H when he changes heads, so I am really anxious to see the difference. The edelbrocks are stock other than quality seat and guide work with comp springs. I don’t know to what extent the TFS heads are being worked to yet. Swapping cams means its not going to be an apple to orange comparison. I am anxiously waiting for a break in the weather. I don’t want to miss the seat of the pants difference between the two to report back.... ain’t it awful when you meet back up with someone after 20 plus years and they have the combination like you want to build yourself?

Hey that's really good for a teener. Care to elaborate? Like weight, elevation and Scr/cam maybe?
Cars weight around 2900 w/o driver, track elevation is around 200 ft, pump gas, cam is under .500 lift, car has gone 11.71 in 1/4 the white Duster you see in avatar.

What’s the static compression? What about transmission and transmission rear gears?

I am going to see how much i can get out of a set OOTB Edelbrock's i can get with a 340, will not be on the dyno, but i will have a time slip from 1/4 mile. And my 318 goes 91 in the 1/8th with OOTB Edelbrock's now.
time slips are the numbers I like anyways.... :)

By the way, what converter do you have behind that 318?

I am running OOTB eddy heads, and I have 2 different dyno sheets with different cams.
I am also having some serious trouble with my build as well... feel free to have a look at my thread. My doomed 408 build

That’s weird because I had me Eddy’s flowed and they flowed 215 out of the box. My X heads flowed 208 on the same bench. And 450hp from a 10 to 1 410 is low. My 360 with stock X heads and 11 to 1 made 397 hp at the wheels and ran 91 in the 1/8th at 3450 pounds.
That's my thinking.
They don't barely do the numbers they say, maybe the best ootb set does ... but 3 out of 4 don't. Sub/par 500hp is what you can expect from a 408 with ootb eddy heads and sub .600 lift.
I'm sure you could hold the valve open longer, but it would be a pos on the street.

Fwiw I agree on the x head flow as well, best I ever saw was 218cfm. J head factory 2.02 228cfm best.

Thanks for the info. I’ve never been impressed with the RPM. Flow benches vary and some are happier than others. For the money there are better heads out there. But it’s your money spend how you’d like.
"For the money", what out there is better? For the money.

Everyone’s dyno is different, everyone’s flow bench is different, everyone’s skill level is different.

That being said, I would have no problem whatsoever making solidly over 500hp with a street/strip 408/416 on pump gas with ootb RPM heads(with nothing more than honing the guides and shimming the springs).

I agree. Just equip the prepped head (read, no port work, just adjusted & corrected if needed) with the proper valve springs for the cam being used. The OOTB head is really not enough for a stroker but power will be made. The larger engine should really have “more head.” It will run out of breath early.

As long as the car has the correct support equipment(converter, gears, headers, fuel system), I don’t see any reason you couldn’t have it peaking close to 6000, and with a spring upgrade would certainly feel “willing” in the car to 6500.

We have purchased 2 pairs of the Pro Maxx heads 1 set for small block mopar, and 1 set for small Ford, very nice finish work on these heads.
GREAT news! Thanks. I have a set coming soon for the wifes ride. I did some poking around about Pro Maxx. I liked what I read and crossed the fingers that these bare China purchased heads were done and finished with American Pride.

If the below is true and accurate, this will make for a really good street head.

Flow Data @ 28″ water
lift ...200 ...300 ...400 ...500 ...600 ...700
Int ..142 ...202 ...251 ...278 ...284 ...286
Ext ..124 ...159 ...190 ...203 ...219 ...231

GREAT news! Thanks. I have a set coming soon for the wifes ride. I did some poking around about Pro Maxx. I liked what I read and crossed the fingers that these bare China purchased heads were done and finished with American Pride.

If the below is true and accurate, this will make for a really good street head.

Flow Data @ 28″ water
lift ...200 ...300 ...400 ...500 ...600 ...700
Int ..142 ...202 ...251 ...278 ...284 ...286
Ext ..124 ...159 ...190 ...203 ...219 ...231

I contacted him by email with a few questions and I got good response in a timely manner. I also found out that he says he carries a wide selection of springs to fit multiple applications (I was asking about solid FT). It isn't just a generic Hyd FT or Hyd Roller choice so there is a level of custom service available that you aren't going to get from ebay vendors. Going to be an interesting choice between these and the TF whenever they happen.

I’m not waiting on Trick Flows SBM head. Production of parts never goes as quick as they predict. If I had waited on the Victor head, I’d be years behind on my project.

(Actually I am but that’s my wife’s fault. LOL! I did her car first..... worth it!)

So I went with W5’s instead. I know there not in the same playground. However the initial reports of what Edelbrock was doing/aiming for left wiggle room and doubt. Not to remention release date pushbacks by dozens of times.

The W5 choice I made has no regrets. The head is capable of the goal. It would have been easier with an OOTB Victor if the flow numbers were accurate. But considering the amazing result differences others get on the flow bench vs Edelbrock’s listed rates on the RPM head.... IDK.... I might have done myself a favor by not waiting..... IDK.....

Others here keep touting the TF/SBM head. While it seems like a good thing and there speeches of glory runs and the use of a better head sound great, it seems like they may have actually talk a member or two out of another heads use while the TF head isn’t even out yet!!!!!

Madness I tell ya, MADNESS!!!!

I’ll just say, IF it does what I have been hearing they say it will do, well freakin great! Awesome actually. Just one thing.....
Let me know WHEN IT COMES OUT!

Until then, the Edelbrock head and the link I left above about the ProMaxx head is about as good as it gets for us NOW.

@Ironmike is right.

I’ll go a step further and ask. What is out there for us that is above a well ported RPM head? And affordable for the regular guy? I say the Victor is a bit pricey when compared to the other companies of GM & Ford. While I get stepping up costs, once again we’re beat over the head on price. I don’t really see it as affordable.

What it costs them and what we get charged is a horrendous gouging in my opinion. But what else is new?

IMO, it is a danm shame the W5 was discontinued. When they were new. It was also a bit pricey then as far as I’m concerned. Also consider the rocker arm price on top of it all. Yikes!

I am shocked and I mean SHOCKED with the small block TrickFlow head. This isn't soom rum dumb company here but they really dropped the ball on this head "bigtime." Someone is talking to the wrong person on such a simple head that is really just a cleaned up copy of crap that has been out for years. Woop te do another 300 cfm small block head. when they came out with the big block head it was quick then quickly followed by the 270 cc head. This small block head was supposed to be released what, 1 1/2 years ago??? I'm sure glad I don't want a set.

I thought the original "availability" date was last month. I have an older brochure right from TF that says February 2019. Was there an earlier date that they didn't make?

I thought the original "availability" date was last month. I have an older brochure right from TF that says February 2019. Was there an earlier date that they didn't make?

Heck ya. They bumped that date several times. It would probably come up in a google search

I am shocked and I mean SHOCKED with the small block TrickFlow head. This isn't soom rum dumb company here but they really dropped the ball on this head "bigtime." Someone is talking to the wrong person on such a simple head that is really just a cleaned up copy of crap that has been out for years. Woop te do another 300 cfm small block head. when they came out with the big block head it was quick then quickly followed by the 270 cc head. This small block head was supposed to be released what, 1 1/2 years ago??? I'm sure glad I don't want a set.

Wrong the big block heads took about the same time to be released. In fact I am confident we wont see these heads until September. I agree with everything else you said though--whoop dee do another 300 cfm non offset rocker small block head. This is not that hard for a cylinder head casting company. J.Rob

I also gotta wonder if this has something to do with the tarriff war, etc. with China. The LA-X heads have been out of stock for a while, and I have not gotten a firm date from any source in the last few weeks. So getting castings may be some sort of issue right now.

And, I would not be surprised if these heads have been delayed while releasing other, more 'in-demand' parts. This market is only so big, and being the 4th player in a small market segment is not always going to result in much revenue.

I have seen that the Edelbrock 60779/60179's have been 'out of stock' on the Edelbrock site for at least a month. If they cast them over here, then that ought not be any issue with the China situation. But it is odd for that to be the case along with the LA-X heads being OOS.

Edelbrock casts there own heads in California.
Where they get the aluminum from may be a different story.
What is OOS?

-
Back