Hot Header and I mean glowing

-

chad72duster

Reaction score
Hey guys long time no see. To much work and not enough time.

To the point. My dart has been laid up awhile whith a blown TQ. Finaly found the cash to come up with a new TQ, 2500 stall to match the 236@50 cam. The carb is a bigs 650 and the tranny is a 904. The engine has been laid up a couple of months and i had the dist out as well. I finaly got her back together and when i fired her up she lit up like a dream, But!!! after a few min the pass side set of headers started heating up glowing hot. Whats the deal??? The timing is set at about 10deg, the carb has a primary of 70 sec is 76 power valve 6.5 set by Jessie Bigs. the compression is around 10 to 1 and she is running 93 Octaine gas. i cant figure the headers are uncapped and she is still glowing.

help me out.

thanks chad

Set the timing to 36deg total. They will turn cherry red if the timing is not right.
I had the headers on my RR looking like you could just poke something thru them they were so hot.

Hey Chad,

Good to hear from you again.
If the timing thing doesn't help. Can you give us a little more info.
You say it is just the right side. It would seam to me that it should be both sides if it's a timing issue. Another thing you may look for is a dead plug. If you have one hole spitting out unburnt gas it will ignite in the header and heat it up that header. Just a thought.

Jack

Hey Jack and Adam

It was the timmingI advanced it some more and got a better timing light. Good to hear from you guys. I live out in the country now and dial up just about kills us.

If you are not running exhaust, hook it up, then double check the timing. You may be lean on primaries, but it needs to be configured the way Jessie was told it was to be sure. Also, make sure your float levels are set properly. That can be altered during shipping easily.

-
Back