How and should one start up a Mopar club?

-

dgully

Reaction score
Just curious, but I live in ND and was thinking the other night that I wish I knew more Mopar people and their cars.

So I thought about starting up a Mopar club.

Has anyone started one? Is it a pain in the ***? Is it worth it? And how does one start one?

Thanks guys and ladies

Find one other mopar guy and hang out in plain sight. several others will appear. from there, establish a monthly meeting (burgers and beer usually does it). after that it grows so fast you get drama! worth every minute.. and you have to come up with a cool club name... I'm fond of 'Half Fast Car Club'...

Well I did meet a guy that has 2 Darts, Scamp and other Mopar's and we got talking about going for a drive and burgers and we talked about getting a couple more involved maybe just start there and maybe some day make it a club.

There is a local club here by me that is based on facebook for local Mopar owners.
They made business cards that they "tag" Mopar owners with that if they are interested the join the facebook group and cruise, hang out or hit the drags.
If you include late model Mopars and Jeeps they seem to be the most active!

Sounds fun... I'll talk to the other guy and see what else to come up with...

Yes, I've done it. The club still exists although due to my life outside of cars I'm not active. I do still have the "Founder" membership card that was never supposed to expire...lol.
If you want to use the logo and names in any advertising you have to have written permission from the corporate owner of the logo and names. Back in the early 90s it was from Chrysler, and I had to write this person explaining what the club was for and how the copyrighted items would be used. It was non-profit which makes a big difference. I must have done it right because the club still exists, it's never had a legal issue with Chrysler, and has a good and active membership. Due in large part to the head monarch I think. I hope to rejoin when I have time for it.
The alternative is to just start a club that's not brand affiliated and follow your local laws for non-profits. Otherwise at any time the corporate lawyers can descend on you and shut it down.

Just curious, but I live in ND and was thinking the other night that I wish I knew more Mopar people and their cars.

So I thought about starting up a Mopar club.

Has anyone started one? Is it a pain in the ***? Is it worth it? And how does one start one?

Thanks guys and ladies
I wouldn`t mind having one around Tulsa either !

Is it a pain in the ***? Is it worth it?

yes and no....

better off finding some mopar guys and getting to know them by meeting up at different events.. an official club is a ton of needless bullshit.

maybe start a facebook page for local mopar guys and then you can see where and when you all may want to meet up.. when they go to join make sure they are in the area. if not keep them out.

yes and no....

better off finding some mopar guys and getting to know them by meeting up at different events.. an official club is a ton of needless bullshit.

maybe start a facebook page for local mopar guys and then you can see where and when you all may want to meet up.. when they go to join make sure they are in the area. if not keep them out.
I would just enjoy hangin w/ some mature mopar guys, probly not an official club. I used to be a member of the HEMI owners assoc. bac in the day, it was pretty neat. Still got a tank top hanging in the garage.

I live in Sarasota, Florida and there are no Mopar based clubs. I used to belong to Klassics Antiques and Rods which was open to all makes but the president thought he was the king and everyone else was nothing. Most of the people were so stuck up and rude and thought their **** didn't smell. If you came up with an idea for the club the king had to ok it. There were a few great people we met but in the end I couldn't take all of the drama. I just want to get together with a bunch of Mopar guys and talk cars and get ideas and learn. I don't have much time left and would enjoy the commradity of some great guys. I don't think that is asking to much and maybe I would be able to finish my 68 Dart GT. Sorry for going on and on but you guys are the best and get what I mean, Thanks Brian

Like Joe said - the least stressful is just seek out some local Mopar guys and go hang at the local dairy bar or fish shack or whatever. I got out because things were moving in a direction I wasn't happy with, and I needed to focus on more important things. I had no time to be involved or try to get thigns to a place I'd be happier with. Because it does take time and it's not always something you want to do and you will never satisfy everyone. But hanging out is easy and when you don't feel like it, you don't go...lol.

like Scampman said, clubs can be a lot of drama!! more likely IF you start one, someone will run you over and take it from you and be King!! find a group of Mopar guys in your area. pick and choose. add to it those that fit in. leave out the assholes and idiots!! ha

Thanks for the idea and experiences , I believe I'll just keep the Mopar gang small.. the few- the proud

If you do start one, you should make sure Richard Petty becomes a member
At least then we won't have to worry about who is king

Well I did meet a guy that has 2 Darts, Scamp and other Mopar's and we got talking about going for a drive and burgers and we talked about getting a couple more involved maybe just start there and maybe some day make it a club.
BAMM! You've got a club! Just need to come up with a name. Maybe "You and me Mopar club"

I've come up with... Wait for it... Magic City Mopar's... Minot North Dakotas Nickname is magic city so figured it would go good

Let me tell you about the Mopar club we started in Topeka. About 8 years ago, a small group of Mopar guys were talking at a local cruise night, and a few of us said, "Let's start a Mopar Club." I printed up some flyers giving a time, date and location for a meeting to discuss it further. We placed the flyers in several Mopars. and we had about 20 people at that first get together. We decided to do it. We did it right. We had several meetings to lay out rules and bylaws and filed the proper paperwork with the state for tax purposes. For a few years, it was pretty good. We sponsored an all Mopar show each fall at a local Mopar dealer, and met at a restaurant monthly. Then it got to the point where the same corps of folks (me included) did ALL the work on everything. And the people who did nothing did all the griping and bitching. Then most of the people just wanted to get together once a month and do nothing else. The last meeting I went to was when the people who did nothing were crying and whining about how much work the car shows were and that they didn't want to have them anymore. WHAT?? They never even raised a finger. Several of us (the worker bees) dropped out after that. The club dissolved a few months later. What is the secret to a good club? I don't know, but with 60 members, you cant have 50 of them constantly griping and bitching about not wanting to do anything.

you would be better off just hanging out with people who you know are your friends.

different people have different agendas and motives and it turns into problems fast.

i tried a club locally and quickly regretted it. i dont even go to local mopar only shows anymore......or any show really, always the same cliques and same cars over and over and over.

i would rather go to an old classics salvage yard with no people around and stare at junkers.

people ruin nice things fast.

I've come up with... Wait for it... Magic City Mopar's... Minot North Dakotas Nickname is magic city so figured it would go good
Reach out to more than Minot. Maybe you could reach to Williston and meet at Stanley? A place to cruise to, and have a burger and shake (there is a place in Stanley that serves burgers and shakes, right?.. LOL)

What irked me was the same guys who did nothing but show up complaining that the trophies were not big enough. Trophies were not the reason we started our club. We grew it to three states and 100+. Website says after 21 years it's got 268 now. It takes active members and many simply are not.

I figure the 90/10 % rule is accurate for bout everything in life.

car clubs are not just about cars, 90 % bout people, 10% bout cars. you got to like people to be in one. you will like 10 % of the people and you know the rest! again 10 % of the people will do 90 % of the work. 10 % of them will do 90 % of the bitching?

my first encoder with a car club (mopar ) was in 1985, the club was an early one for sure. it had a large show and 100 plus members. it had a pancake supper every March. my first encounter was at their supper, we drove the 1 1/2 hr there. NEVER did one member introduce themselves, say, glad yo all came, kiss my *** or anything. yes, it was always a click. I made friends eventually with a few members over the years and the 2 "bosses" but a clique for sure and knew I did not want to be a "real" member. ha

I've met many good car people at the track. Don't limit yourself to one brand of car, you'll miss out.

-
Back