How do I decipher the engine code on my 360/727

-

Chryslerkid

Reaction score
Hey guys does anyone have the run down on reading engine block and head codes as well as transmission codes? Thanks.
:banghead::eek:ops::blob::glasses7:

FYI I have a 360/727 drivetrain but want to verify the year of production and specifications of that year motor. Thanks

The engine date of production is cast onto the passenger side. Attached is a pic of my 360 block with a circle around the date. As for the trans. you need to look on the drivers side right above the pan rail. There'll be a set of #'s starting out with PK then a 7 digit # following. Here's a link to a website with those #'s so you can see what year it is

[ame]http://mymopar.com/downloads/transguide.pdf[/ame]

Attachments

• Block date.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 549
Awesome info... this just helped me figure out what year the 360 I just purchased was

All LA V8's have the build date cast on the pass side. Not hard to figure out if their out of the car. Here's a pic of where it's located

Attachments

• Block date.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 376
yea that I knew... however we tucked the engine in the corner of the garage, and I really didnt feel like pulling it back out to check out the passenger side.. plus its pretty grimy and in need of some degreasing.. lol.. I was more interested in the numbers stamped in the block in the front (right below the drivers side head) trying to figure out what those meant

yea that I knew... however we tucked the engine in the corner of the garage, and I really didnt feel like pulling it back out to check out the passenger side.. plus its pretty grimy and in need of some degreasing.. lol.. I was more interested in the numbers stamped in the block in the front (right below the drivers side head) trying to figure out what those meant

Gotcha

Engine:
on small blocks there is also engine assy factory, size, date assembled, etc info on the left front cyl bank. 68 up on right oil pan rail is year, car factory, and last 6 of VIN of origin.

68 up on the pan rail of the trans (auto) there are a string of numbers to identify similar to engine. On manuals on the right side towards there is about a 1/2 x 3" rise with information on it with similar info.

-
Back