How do I get paint mist overspray off my windshield?

-

cruiser

Reaction score
I recently has part of my hood repainted. Now when I'm driving into the sun, I can see that a fine mist of paint overspray has been deposited on my windshield. Does anyone have any great techniques for removing this stuff without damaging the windshield glass? Tried using a razor blade, which didn't work. Also tried a 3M scuff pad soaked in lacquer thinner, which also didn't work. All ideas welcome - thanks!

A new sharp utility knife blade should get the job done use some soapy water and spray on the windshield then use the razor blade. I wouldn’t recommend using a scuff pad it will scratch the glass and make it hazy.

0000 steel wool and windex. Its the finest steel wool made. Will not scratch glass. Its how used car dealership clean up glass.

I like using a razor blade scraper. It gives a lot of control.

Sometimes that paint just gets into the super tiny pits of the glass you can’t see with the naked eye and the razor blade can’t touch.

It looks like a fog of the color you sprayed.

Here's what I used and they all work.
Razor blades or razor scrapers.
Very fine steel wool with windex or aclohol/water mix.
Acetone (with plenty of ventilation). I usually do this as a last wipedown.

I recently has part of my hood repainted. Now when I'm driving into the sun, I can see that a fine mist of paint overspray has been deposited on my windshield. Does anyone have any great techniques for removing this stuff without damaging the windshield glass? Tried using a razor blade, which didn't work. Also tried a 3M scuff pad soaked in lacquer thinner, which also didn't work. All ideas welcome - thanks!
what cam?:lol:

@cruiser, I agree with @RustyRatRod and @cudascott @missing linc on using a razor blade. I like the retractable single edge razor blade scrapers like you get at Target, Walmart and big box home improvement stores. Using these scrapers makes it easier to handle the razor blade and keep the blade at a constant shallow angle. I have had a lot of experience scraping glass. Please consider these ideas:
1. Clean the glass thoroughly first. You don't want to scrape dirt particles across the glass.
2. Use a lubricant of some kind. Windex works well, and so does a spray bottle of water with a few drops of dish washing soap in it (I really like Dawn).
3. Do a small area at a time. Maybe one square foot or so.
4. Keep the blade at a shallow angle to the glass. Also, move the blade across the surface of the glass at about a 45-degree angle. By that I mean don't move the blade up and down or side to side with the blade's edge perpendicular to the direction of motion. Instead, move the blade so that the blades edge is at about a 45-degree angle to the direction of movement. This will pretty much eliminate any chance of scratches.
5. Change the blade when it seems it isn't working as well as it was.
6. Be patient. It may take a while.

@cruiser, I agree with @RustyRatRod and @cudascott @missing linc on using a razor blade. I like the retractable single edge razor blade scrapers like you get at Target, Walmart and big box home improvement stores. Using these scrapers makes it easier to handle the razor blade and keep the blade at a constant shallow angle. I have had a lot of experience scraping glass. Please consider these ideas:
1. Clean the glass thoroughly first. You don't want to scrape dirt particles across the glass.
2. Use a lubricant of some kind. Windex works well, and so does a spray bottle of water with a few drops of dish washing soap in it (I really like Dawn).
3. Do a small area at a time. Maybe one square foot or so.
4. Keep the blade at a shallow angle to the glass. Also, move the blade across the surface of the glass at about a 45-degree angle. By that I mean don't move the blade up and down or side to side with the blade's edge perpendicular to the direction of motion. Instead, move the blade so that the blades edge is at about a 45-degree angle to the direction of movement. This will pretty much eliminate any chance of scratches.
5. Change the blade when it seems it isn't working as well as it was.
6. Be patient. It may take a while.
Great ideas, thanks. I'll also try the 0000 steel wool, although I'm a bit puzzled as to how you can use steel wool on glass and not scratch it up.

Great ideas, thanks. I'll also try the 0000 steel wool, although I'm a bit puzzled as to how you can use steel wool on glass and not scratch it up.
Because it's so fine. I still don't use it though. lol

Be careful next to cracks when using blades. It can catch and flip on ya. If the blade didnt work it is probably pitted as already suggested.

Or if all else fails, follow dump trucks really close and call Safelite. Just kidding. The suggestions above should all work great.

Works great on chrome too. Sinks, glass stove tops...

There is glass polish compound available on eBay / Amazon.

Screenshot_20221018-204054.png

it will polish out fine scratches in glass.

I had some deep goudges in my rear tailgate glass. (Long story)

I used the polish and while you can still see the scratches they are about 25% of what they were.

Steel wool.

Single edge razor blade.

Works better for me without any liquid.
Easier to see where I've got and where I haven't.

...but Windex or comparable to clean up the flakes left behind.

If you have one of the ceramic cook tops in the kitchen like we have, you probably have the special cleaner for it. Has the cerium oxide in a compound.

There is glass polish compound available on eBay / Amazon.

View attachment 1716000020

it will polish out fine scratches in glass.

I had some deep goudges in my rear tailgate glass. (Long story)

I used the polish and while you can still see the scratches they are about 25% of what they were.
Used a ton of that stuff on the job with a graphic arts camera business. Polishing plate glass was an almost daily chore.
It definitely works.
Edit: 1.7 Oz. HAH! We bought it by the gallon jug.....

-
Back