How Do You All Paint Wood When the Nail Heads Are Rusting?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Was going to paint a leftover wooden mold/form that was previously used to form a cement arch (this will now be a "bridge" for dog agility course). However, it was assembled with nails and now they have begun to rust. Painting over the nail heads must be a no-no, but I don't want this to become a major project. Anything simple and effective out there? Thank you.

DSC06941.jpg

DSC06942.jpg

Use some rustoleum rust reformer spray on the nail heads and then paint the whole thing with a fence/barn paint.

You will not stop rust from coming through but the reformer will stop it a lot longer than not using it.
The fence & barn paint is meant for outdoor use and is pretty tough stuff and not too expensive.

sand blast and use rust converter

Consider it an educational endeavor, might want to run agility myself. On second thought, my right knee has been acting up on me lately.

Painters caulk, skim coat will seal in the rust. A little dab will do ya!

Was going to paint a leftover wooden mold/form that was previously used to form a cement arch (this will now be a "bridge" for dog agility course). However, it was assembled with nails and now they have begun to rust. Painting over the nail heads must be a no-no, but I don't want this to become a major project. Anything simple and effective out there? Thank you.

View attachment 1715419494

View attachment 1715419495
Paint the wood a rust colored red.

Pull the nails, replace with coated deck screws and then paint.

Use a nail set or small punch to sink the head of the nails below the surface. Then place a dab of paintable caulking over the nail head. Wipe smooth with your finger and paint over. Done.

-
Back