How do you deal with an 'on the way out' pet?

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
A good vet will sedate first, sometimes with a lower dosage of the same drug.

Having you there so that the last things they see, feel, and hear are you is IMO "the right way".

I could not shoot a pet (unless that was the absolute last possible alternative, like If we were out in the wild with no time and no civilization) because the last thing that they would experience would be me scaring and/or hurting them.
I agree wholeheartedly I've heard too many stories of animals getting put on that cold piece of Steel slab in the vet's office looking around for their family / owner. I also had a personal friend of mine put a dog in a hole. The cancer was so bad, it was ugly. took three rounds point-blank with a 9 mm. I guess he couldn't shoot worth a ****. After the first two rounds that dog looked up at him like what the **** are you doing why are you doing this daddy. That was the story as he reiterated it to me.

Last edited:
Yes sir absolutely I thought I replied to this earlier I may not have hit the right button. It appears a lot of us in the how far brother and Sisterhood love our furry friends I just didn't understand your terminology it's time and I apologize if I caused you any upset. Not trying to start any ****. I just took it the wrong way man
I saw your earlier reply (post 48)
It got buried in my qoute so it was hard to find

But like I said, I understand this is a sensitive subject and I tried to approach it as such

As far as I'm concerned, you and I are good

I saw your earlier reply (post 48)
It got buried in my qoute so it was hard to find

But like I said, I understand this is a sensitive subject and I tried to approach it as such

As far as I'm concerned, you and I are good
Thank You. I didn't think we were at odds, and again, if I came across like an *** I apologize. Definitely a sensitive subject.. and I didn't mean anything I may have said as a personal attack on you or anyone else. That being said, it's almost as all of us here consider pets as family, it can create ranges of emotion, and none of us really know how the other feels. I hope this rough situation is resolved in a manner that honors the pet and family
20170918_075722.jpg

I had to have my bestest buddy Stubby put down in 2015. Hardest thing I've ever done, including removing the oxygen mask from Mama after she died in 1984. Here's something that's helped me after the fact and I still do on occasion. I did it tonight, in fact, when Kitty and I sat in the yard swing like we do every nit it's not hot as the devil's balls. As I was sitting down, I patted the swing seat and said "come on, Stubby, here's your spot." He would always come plodding over and jump up next to me, whether in the swing, on the porch, in the house....wherever. He's still there. I know he is.

I had to have my bestest buddy Stubby put down in 2015. Hardest thing I've ever done, including removing the oxygen mask from Mama after she died in 1984. Here's something that's helped me after the fact and I still do on occasion. I did it tonight, in fact, when Kitty and I sat in the yard swing like we do every nit it's not hot as the devil's balls. As I was sitting down, I patted the swing seat and said "come on, Stubby, here's your spot." He would always come plodding over and jump up next to me, whether in the swing, on the porch, in the house....wherever. He's still there. I know he is.
Man Princess used to ***** me out whenever Id go to work and when I came home. I would really get it when I got home. I called it the "Doggie M.Fn!" the last few months of her life I took her with me on every job I did including anesthesiologist who works for Moffitt Cancer Center's house in historic Hyde Park. their dog actually passed away about a month before her and they told me to keep bringing her over anyway. That baby girl loved riding with me everywhere. I still believe she's riding with me brother.
20191005_171438.jpg

Man Princess used to ***** me out whenever Id go to work and when I came home. I would really get it when I got home. I called it the "Doggie M.Fn!" the last few months of her life I took her with me on every job I did including anesthesiologist who works for Moffitt Cancer Center's house in historic Hyde Park. their dog actually passed away about a month before her and they told me to keep bringing her over anyway. That baby girl loved riding with me everywhere. I still believe she's riding with me brother.View attachment 1715752481

That's cause she is. Don't you think for one second she's not. You better still talk to her, too. lol

Relatively easy solution for the cold table issue-

take a large towel.

We have towels that go in the transporters (may not apply for a dog) because it's nearly always cold at the vet's.

We don't have a dog anymore. We had a Samoyed, Mandy, that we had to put down. Had her from a pup. One of the coolest dogs ever. Did everything and went everywhere together. She had kidney failure and there was nothing to do. We held her as they gave her an injection and bawled like babies. Still hard to think of it. I'm not going through that again. Good luck whatever you decide. It won't be easy.

I will be having the vet come to our house, and holding Bella in my arms and letting her go. There will be much crying, but I could never let her go any other way, she’s too special to all of us!

20841A75-D516-4B51-81D0-0D481E1664BC.jpeg

I am actively thinking about what specific type of petting or scratching each individual likes best, to be used as a last contact when it is their time.
Belly rub, behind the ears, whisker area, right on the top of the head, etc.
One likes to bury his head in the palm of my hand, so that's what he will get.

We don't have a dog anymore. We had a Samoyed, Mandy, that we had to put down. Had her from a pup. One of the coolest dogs ever. Did everything and went everywhere together. She had kidney failure and there was nothing to do. We held her as they gave her an injection and bawled like babies. Still hard to think of it. I'm not going through that again. Good luck whatever you decide. It won't be easy.

My last one was rough. A rescue with a bad history but Pudd and I swung for the fence and his last few years were a ride.... It was too good so a month later I found Henry... Some say it was too soon and heartless. I said not soon enough and an even bigger heart on my end. There is always a new buddy in the waiting....

You have to look at the big picture which ain't always easy...

JW

We felt the same and I stated the same in this forum. Another member replied, "You probably will have another dog". He was correct. Nearly two years had passed when our grand daughter came here with two little Yorkie mix rescue puppies that needed homes. We kept one and our daughter kept the other. These lucky little sister dogs get to play together from time to time. Fun to watch.

Last edited:
The most selfless act you can do after losing a friend is to open your home and heart to another in need.

20210423_173326.jpg

My wife's best friend had this blanket made after our boy Dunham passed in January. It covers a king size bed, I was blown away.
He was always right beside one of us, from the day we brought him home at 10 weeks old, until he left us at 12 years.

All I can say is if you release them in the woods some predator will kill them...that's viloent especially if they are sick and cant fight back.

We had to end the suffering of our Yorkie that was dying from kidney failure. We had sunk literally thousands into trying to save her and would have sunk more if it had been effective. The vet released her from her misery and didn't charge us a nickle. We had some pet supplies left over that we had bought from Chewy's and when I called about returning them the representative said they'd refund the cost and we didn't have to return the supplies. About a week later we got a flower bouquet from them. Unbelievable. Did we get another dog? No. It's been two years and the hole in our heart still exists. We just can't bear to go through this again. I have to stop, I am tearing up as I type this.

I have had to put 1 down and another died naturally in recent years, both dogs. each time I tell the wife lets wait a year but she brings another home within 6-8 months. so its her decision to bring a new one home. she picks good ones. .it feels terrible each time but the new pet is just as much fun and satisfaction. they are each different and each one doesnt replace the other, its just a different or new furry friend. So dont think of it as a replacement pet think of it as a different pet if you get a new one.

We had to end the suffering of our Yorkie that was dying from kidney failure. We had sunk literally thousands into trying to save her and would have sunk more if it had been effective. The vet released her from her misery and didn't charge us a nickle. We had some pet supplies left over that we had bought from Chewy's and when I called about returning them the representative said they'd refund the cost and we didn't have to return the supplies. About a week later we got a flower bouquet from them. Unbelievable. Did we get another dog? No. It's been two years and the hole in our heart still exists. We just can't bear to go through this again. I have to stop, I am tearing up as I type this.

Sorry for the loss. This kinda stuff is never easy to go though.

I just wanted to put a plug in for Chewy's. They are probably the best online business I've ever dealt with. This story just illustrates why. I mean, who sends hand-written birthday cards to dogs? That's just incredible customer service, and it's just the tip on the iceberg with them. I'd encourage anyone to go to Chewy's for any of the pet supply needs. And no, I don't work for them.

I have never found the strength to have any of my furry family members put down. I have managed to sit with them as they breathed their last. In March of this year, Sparrow, my 14 year old cat was dying of a brain tumor. My wife and I visited our daughter, son-in-law, and grandkids in Indiana for a week. When we returned, Sparrow had disappeared while we were gone. Our roommate told us that two days after we left she ate her breakfast and went outside as usual and didn’t show up for dinner. I wish that we could have found her so that I could have buried her in the back yard. I miss her friendship as she helped me through a difficult time in my life.
We now have taken in a stray cat who showed up at our front door and cried for three days straight before I finally gave in and fed it. She follows me around outside and helps me do all of my projects.

Thanks for all the sincere replies. I have taken notes from all that was said and come up with my plan.
To preserve the dignity of my 'friend', I won't do Animal Humane or SPCA. You have to 'surrender' your pet first. And I won't ask a friend to do my dirty work. I'm not that schmuck.

I'm going to choose the vet and the two injections. Painless and humane. I doubt if the perfect shot is any better. Then I'm going to bury 'Lily' in the nearby National Forest. Yes I know it's illegal. Arrest me.

I did think about just releasing her into the forest. She is a totally indoor cat. That is why she made 19. Outdoor cats don't live long here. Anyway, releasing her seems cruel, but on the other hand it could be a last taste of freedom. It's tough to reason this out.
WTF You are just a heartless Bastard even to think of just letting her go. Abandoning her at the last moments of her life and if you're so cheap to have to discuss this maybe we can take up a fund for you.

Judas Priest, please close this thread.

Last thing I need right now is a bleeding heart 'expert' judging me. It's tough enough in it's own.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back