How do you put a price on your project car?

-
I was just curious of how others put a price on a car that they built. If they want to sell it.
My guess you'd have to research what similar cars sale for in the area you plan on selling it, not what their asking. Like a guy around me been asking $35,000 for 3-4 years now for restored 340 Duster, he may get it some day but obviously not a selling price.

My guess you'd have to research what similar cars sale for in the area you plan on selling it, not what their asking. Like a guy around me been asking $35,000 for 3-4 years now for restored 340 Duster, he may get it some day but obviously not a selling price.
That's the going price for a 340 car here in Missouri.

You know what you bought it for, you know what you put into it. Subtract out the real world fun you had with it.

Put a price on it to move it and let the next guy be able to have some fun with it.

Everyone of the mopars I have sold have gone to good people and they are carrying on the dream.

That is pretty much what this is all about. Getting your costs and upgrade expenses back, is an added bonus at sale time.

Screenshot_20200712-020702_Gallery.jpg

It depends on how bad you want to sell it. Want to sell it real bad??? Fire sale it and send it down the road?

If you are so so on selling it, put a stupid high price on it and see if you get any takers.

how project-y are we talking? like a roller or something that's in the middle of extensive fab work and needs all put back together? an exploded view restoration that ran out of steam and comes with a million parts new and used and NOS? something that just needs a drivetrain?

a quick way is to see what something similar is actually selling for. then take that and divide by 1/2, and that should put you somewhere in the ballpark at least. from there you can make additional adjustments: needs paint and body take a percentage, needs a drivetrain, take a percentage, comes with a Johnny kick-*** motor and trans, add a little back. that kind of thing.

a consideration to take is that there are specific aspects of projects that people absolutely hate dealing with like paint and body might be a deal breaker, but no motor or trans is no big deal. if you live in an area where rust is abundant, then rust repair is expected but in a dry climate that could impact the price significantly.

and the big one is a title. personally, I won't even bother if you don't have a title unless we're talking little birdie prices for something that's straight gold.

I'm guessing you're asking about a done car. The market will usually tell you unless it's a unique build or an uncommon car, then it's all guesswork.

Take what the car is worth finished, subtract $ value of needs, ie paint/body, upholstery/interior, motor/trans, rear end etc, put realistic prices and see what you get at the end, don't be surprised if you end up with a negative figure .
That's how I get a realistic value .

A car is I worth what somebody will pay for it. That is why it is important to do some research before advertising and pricing. I do not know if you are thinking about selling one, or if that was just a curiosity question. If I wanted to sell my 69 340 4 speed Barracuda with PS, AC and disk brakes, I would start with a good internet search. Remember that what you will mostly see is asking prices, but that would be a good first step. Then I would post pictures here on FABO and ask people if they have any real world knowledge of what a similar car has actually sold for. You will want to take a close and honest look at your car, because a lot of lookers will try to nit pick every minor flaw. Then I would take what I considered to be the researched selling price, add about 10-15% for negotiation wiggle room and advertise it. If you did all the work yourself, and you do good work, you might be able to break even IF you didn't pay too much for it, but losing 10% or so is more likely. If you had to pay to have a lot done, then plan on losing up to 50%. If you pay 15K for major body work and paint alone, that will be hard to recover. Plus, you have to consider what you are selling. Some cars are more valuable than others. It much easier to get upside down in a less desirable car than a more desirable one.

A car is I worth what somebody will pay for it. That is why it is important to do some research before advertising and pricing. I do not know if you are thinking about selling one, or if that was just a curiosity question. If I wanted to sell my 69 340 4 speed Barracuda with PS, AC and disk brakes, I would start with a good internet search. Remember that what you will mostly see is asking prices, but that would be a good first step. Then I would post pictures here on FABO and ask people if they have any real world knowledge of what a similar car has actually sold for. You will want to take a close and honest look at your car, because a lot of lookers will try to nit pick every minor flaw. Then I would take what I considered to be the researched selling price, add about 10-15% for negotiation wiggle room and advertise it. If you did all the work yourself, and you do good work, you might be able to break even IF you didn't pay too much for it, but losing 10% or so is more likely. If you had to pay to have a lot done, then plan on losing up to 50%. If you pay 15K for major body work and paint alone, that will be hard to recover. Plus, you have to consider what you are selling. Some cars are more valuable than others. It much easier to get upside down in a less desirable car than a more desirable one.
I am thinking of selling my 65 dart...

Bottom line is WHAT is it worth to YOU. But it may NOT be worth that to anyone else! Also, location! And are you having to deal with IDIOTS!??

I have advertised good cars for sale and 100% comments were " good car for a great price". Took forever to sell!

I'm thinking around $25,000.00. Mopars are high in Missouri. There's a guy that has a 1969 dart with a 273 and ps, pb, ac, needs headliner replaced and seats redone. I don't know how good it runs and he's asking 20k.

I listed it earlier today on here. We'll see what happens. I think it's a fair price.

Would be a good idea to wash down the outside body, get the dust off it and polish it up.

Same with the interior, detail it out.

Want to attract a buyer, good pictures and nice backgrounds help too.

I was just curious of how others put a price on a car that they built. If they want to sell i

I'm thinking around $25,000.00. Mopars are high in Missouri. There's a guy that has a 1969 dart with a 273 and ps, pb, ac, needs headliner replaced and seats redone. I don't know how good it runs and he's asking 20k.
Got a nice factory 383/4 speed body 99 percent rust free beautiful paint does have tubs but not butchered. How about 25k and at least you would be starting with something that's worth real money when you are done not a 318 car.

Got a nice factory 383/4 speed body 99 percent rust free beautiful paint does have tubs but not butchered. How about 25k and at least you would be starting with something that's worth real money when you are done not a 318 car.
I'm not looking to buy at this time, I have a lot going on with the wife at this time. I told the same thing to the guy who has the dart. But I thank you for letting me know about your car.

I'm not looking to buy at this time, I have a lot going on with the wife at this time. I told the same thing to the guy who has the dart. But I thank you for letting me know about your car.
Got a few and need to let one or two go. The Dart was going to get a Hemi. Also have the body, a 500ci Hemi Motor, Hemi K-frame, original Hooker headers, etc for the car. Got most of the stuff to put the stock rear inner wheel housings back in. New AMD stuff. I really wanted to do this car but age is getting in the way and just need to let something go. This is truly a beautiful car.

-
Back