How far do you guys drive to the track?

-

Lars

Reaction score
I'm going to have some time off here pretty soon and I want to get my 70 to the track (hasn't seen the strip since 2000). Problem is, I can only cruise @ about 50mph with the 727 and 4.10's. Which isn't a big deal except the track is 85 miles away one way. How far do you guys drive?

I have a set of 3.23's but I think I'll be leaving a lot on the table with the 28" tall tires. Plus I don't know how it will play out with my 3K stall converter.

It takes me about 40 minutes.

I have driven the Duster out a few times when the wife was racing the Dart and using the trailer. It has 4.10's and 26" tall tires.
I would drive it forever, but It would take me a little while as I would try to keep my RPM's down on a long haul.

It takes me about 40 minutes.

I have driven the Duster out a few times when the wife was racing the Dart and using the trailer. It has 4.10's and 26" tall tires.
I would drive it forever, but It would take me a little while as I would try to keep my RPM's down on a long haul.

Yeah I want to take it to SAR but I live outside of Austin.

I drove my 691/2 5 hours at 70mph with 410's.Didn't hurt it a bit.
Jim

I don't think I'm man enough for that! LOL

I drive 1 hour with it on the trailer now.After snapping an axel(8 1/4 rear 4.10)and almost caving in my 1/4 panel.I had bought the trailer 4 days before the axel snapped.Karma i guess.I have an 8 3/4 in there now,but still trailer it just in case.If anything breaks I know i,ll be tucking it in the garage at the end of the night.

aar stripes.JPG

What is the tallest skinniest tire you can fit in the rear?

Tom

I'm at the limit right now.

I drive 1 hour with it on the trailer now.After snapping an axel(8 1/4 rear 4.10)and almost caving in my 1/4 panel.I had bought the trailer 4 days before the axel snapped.Karma i guess.I have an 8 3/4 in there now,but still trailer it just in case.If anything breaks I know i,ll be tucking it in the garage at the end of the night.

If I had the money for a trailer I'd just buy an OD unit. I'd feel like a schmuck trailering a 14 second car to the track. That would be cool though for tools/slicks/etc...

if it runs cool and the oil pressure holds up drive it until the wheels fall off. I use to drive a Ford truck with a 351 clevy in it with a 600 lift sold can and 4.56 gears all up and down the highway. made many 120mile one way trips to a buddy of mines place in the hot Texas weather and street race it and drive home for work monday morning. if you have good parts in the motor and it runs cool let it eat.

if it runs cool and the oil pressure holds up drive it until the wheels fall off. I use to drive a Ford truck with a 351 clevy in it with a 600 lift sold can and 4.56 gears all up and down the highway. made many 120mile one way trips to a buddy of mines place in the hot Texas weather and street race it and drive home for work monday morning. if you have good parts in the motor and it runs cool let it eat.

I built it with good parts, holds good pressure, runs hot in the summer months, but the engine only has about 100 miles on it at best so I'm sure its still tight. I can't imagine running 65 with it, it feels so strung out @ 55 as it is.

I'd feel like a schmuck trailering a 14 second car to the track. That would be cool though for tools/slicks/etc...

I wouldn't feel like a schmuck. That is just common sense and being prepared. If you DO breakdown, you already have a way to get it home.
It would really suck to travel 2 hours there, break it, drive 2 hours home to get yours or a buddy's trailer, 2 hours back to the track and then another 2 hours back home with the car. Screw that!:bootysha: Lol. Let 'em stare.

I hope I never break down out there without my trailer.

I wouldn't feel like a schmuck. That is just common sense and being prepared. If you DO breakdown, you already have a way to get it home.
It would really suck to travel 2 hours there, break it, drive 2 hours home to get yours or a buddy's trailer, 2 hours back to the track and then another 2 hours back home with the car. Screw that!:bootysha: Lol. Let 'em stare.

I hope I never break down out there without my trailer.

I have AAA for that. I'd need to buy a trailer, plus neither of my trucks are up for the task. :(

Never race a car you have to drive druing the week. Then only race the car if you have a trailer or enough money to get it towed home. It's all about having fun and if you have to worry about the car breaking, you won't have that much fun. I broke that rule and paid for it several times.

Buy the way, It's about 15 miles to the closest track and I use to drive it. The next one is about 40 miles away and I think a better track. I have seen 6 ft. wheel stands at that track.

Are the 3.23's installed in a chunk? If so, install them for the drive to the track and swap the 3rd member once you get there.

Total Round Trip To My Local Track Is 60 Miles. Not To Bad & Its A Great Track. ITS TULSA RACEWAY PARK.

Depends on which track i go to:n.e. dragway is just over 1 hour,lebanon valley is 2 1/2,and e-town is 5..of coarse i trailer my car everytime i go,just incase something happens,don't worry about feeling like a smuck theres plenty of 14 second cars being trailered to the track..not mine of coarse..lol...:-D

Leave early... and keep RPM at or below 3000.

With 4.10 gear at 65 MPH and 28"tire your RPM should be at 3196

Are you going to be on the interstate?

-
Back