How important is the oil slinger?

-

konrad

Reaction score
IMG_0734.JPG
IMG_0733.JPG
So last night I put the engine and transmission in the car to realize this morning I forgot to put the oil slinger on. I really don't want to pull the harmonic balancer, water pump, and timing cover if I don't have to. Any thoughts? If it is crucial I will do it. Thanks

It is important. It prevents front seal from getting too much oil behind it and leaking AND it slings oil on the timing chain and gears. IMO put it in.

helps keep oil off seal like Tim stated. I've taken apart motors that didnt have them. LA's get plenty of oil on chain from dribbler hole and windage. Yeah, I would put it back on for sleeps sake. I found an upper crank bearing shell after I put one back together once..oops!

I would not pull a motor back apart to put one in. Plenty get run without them.

I agree with sr71mopar, have taken a few apart and no slinger, someone else did the same thing and just left it out and they didn't leak, I would keep my eye on it and if it leaks than you will have to do it.

Well I TRY to assemble things like engines the correct way with the correct number and type of parts. Its your engine, leave out what ever you want.

Yep, I agree with the statement that some have them and some don't, so I wouldn't be pulling it all back apart just for that.

I would, just saying......

I hear ya Tim, and if every other small block I took apart had it I for sure would as well.
Just wanted to assure the OP that TONS of these motors are out there that don't have them. (some seep a little oil and some don't) :D

Well, here's the thing......it will take just as long 400 miles from now to put it in as it will now, less 1/2 hour to drain and pull the rad. So run it, see if it leaks, if not, then...................

Last edited:
Well, here's the thing......it will take just as long 400 miles from now to put it in as it will not, less 1/2 hour to drain and pull the rad. So run it, see if it leaks, if not, then...................
You can't beat this logic!
Unless you pounded the front seal in with a big hammer, and didn't make sure the garter-spring was still where it belonged, doh!
But I guess time will tell on that one too,eh? lol

I have by accident forgot that damn thing more than I remembered to put them in. It's no big deal to run it without the slinger. I've done it numerous times.

-
Back