How much oil for this 440?

-

Drache

1971 Dodge Dart Swinger
Reaction score
EDIT: Ok so simply put, I forgot what the previous owner said for amount of oil and since the dipstick is not for this 440, that is no help. Standard 440s take 4+1 no? Yet this oil pan seems to be deeper than a stock one or is that just me?

Ja2kes3.jpg

What is the psi that you have in your 440 (Cold then hot) and what weight of oil do you use?

10w30 cheap stuff, 75psi, 50 at idle hot, Fram filter on high volume pump.

my 1967 chrysler factory service manual shows a 440. min psi @ 500RPM 20 psi. at 1000 RPM 46-65 PSI. IMHO a small variation would not be bad. my dad told me that if the oil psi came up with the RPM off idle you was good.

my 1967 chrysler factory service manual shows a 440. min psi @ 500RPM 20 psi. at 1000 RPM 46-65 PSI. IMHO a small variation would not be bad. my dad told me that if the oil psi came up with the RPM off idle you was good.

very true... dont need 60 lbs hot idle...need bigger numbers at higher rpms..

Ok here's a question. Changing the oil and I realized I have no idea how much it would take. Normally a 440 takes 4+1 if changing the filter but my oil pan looks a lot deeper than a stock pan? (Yes I know it's dirty under there)

Ja2kes3.jpg

There was a 6 1/2 or 7 quart pan on the 6 packs and hemis from the factory.... It will fit the standard 440 also...

Rotella 15w-40, Mopar oil filter, excellent oil pressure.

Lol yeah that's the trans pan. Your oil pan is the orange colored one. Looks stock to me.

Bro, That's your tranny pan in the picture, not your oil pan!

Realized that after I posted it. Been without sleep for 48 hours. :banghead:

I dont get it I took a picture of the front of the oil pan, why did I take a picture of the trans pan?

Damn I need to be able to sleep some nights.

Picture is fine. That's an extra deep trans pan there! Engine pan looks like a pan used on 6 packs and hemis. Factory skid plate would cover that pan real nice. Add 1quart more oil.

Ditch that fram. Seen many an engine destroyed with fram filters.

I was betting someone would say that. It's on right now, I'll swap it next oil change. I've never had an issue with Fram filters, or any filters for that matter, but I know how this forum feels about them.

Holy cannoli! Drain the oil and replace the filter with whatever flavor you desire. Spill in 5 quarts and check the dipstick. If you're full, wonderful. If not, throw in another quart. Come on now!

-
Back