how much play with yoke?

-

DartThis74

Reaction score
I have a '74 duster with a smallblock 727 and I am needing to get a drive shaft made for it to hook up to the new 8 3/4 rear end. My question is, how much play is there suppose to be where the drive shaft yoke and trany tail shaft slide together?

I need to figure out what the correct length needs to be for the new drive shaft when I have one shortened.

thanks for any information !!

Aaron

I have a '74 duster with a smallblock 727 and I am needing to get a drive shaft made for it to hook up to the new 8 3/4 rear end. My question is, how much play is there suppose to be where the drive shaft yoke and trany tail shaft slide together?

I need to figure out what the correct length needs to be for the new drive shaft when I have one shortened.

thanks for any information !!

Aaron

The way I've always done this is: Slide the yoke into the tranny until it stops. Then slide it back 3/4" to 1". Then measure the center of the tranny yoke to the center of the rear end yoke. This should be enough end play on the front yoke and the measurement center to center is what you want your drive shaft to be. Hope this helps. P/M me if you have questions.

Bubba

Hello Dart 74. The mopar chassis book says measure the length with the axle in the as raced condition (the car on its wheels and at raced weight).The drive shaft length from the center line of the front u-joint to the center line of the rear u-joint should be 3.5 inches less than the measurement from the rear of transmission extension to the centerline of the axle yoke. I've seen some members say push the yoke all the way in the transmission, then pull it out 1" to 1.5", then measure from center to center. This should get you pretty close. I hope this helps.

-
Back