How rare?

-

GTSowner

Reaction score
In 1966 when I was in high school, I had a friend who owned a 1965 Valiant V200. It was a red four door with a red bench seat interior. It had power steering and limited other options. What I always thought was unusual was the Commando 273 and four speed that was factory installed. His dad sold the car when he went to Viet Nam in 1968. Has anyone ever seen a combination like this? It was a fun car. Wish I had a photo of it.

Not too many production figures for those early cars. Hopefully someone will have something for you. Not many 4 door,4 speed, Commando's for sure.

My Dad owned a 65’ 4 door valiant with a 273 auto. Now that I think back it was a 4 speed it’s been a minute

Yeah there were some made like that for sure. Certainly more rare than the two door variants. But remember, rare and valuable don't have the same definition. One can be valuable and not be rare while another can be rare and not worth a whole lot. lol Sometimes people get the two confused.

Agreed. Rarity doesn't usually change, value can. Market shift can be a factor along with popularity changes. Makes the car world fun.

Back in the 70's a friend of mine had a 2 door 65 273 Hypo 4 speed.
Just his daily driver. Parked it because of a leaking core plug. It sat in his yard sinking into the ground returning back to raw materials. It was just a car back then.Never gave it much thought till now..

My first car was a 65 Dart 270 post with a HP273 and a 3 on the tree. It ran like a scalded dog. Well to a 16 year old any way. That one 13" bias ply tire would spin all the way through 1st. :lol: It was one of only a handful built with that combo I now find out. Yep, just a car.

In 1966 when I was in high school, I had a friend who owned a 1965 Valiant V200. It was a red four door with a red bench seat interior. It had power steering and limited other options. What I always thought was unusual was the Commando 273 and four speed that was factory installed. His dad sold the car when he went to Viet Nam in 1968. Has anyone ever seen a combination like this? It was a fun car. Wish I had a photo of it.
Near the end of model year run they put some weird combos out the door

Yeah there were some made like that for sure. Certainly more rare than the two door variants. But remember, rare and valuable don't have the same definition. One can be valuable and not be rare while another can be rare and not worth a whole lot. lol Sometimes people get the two confused.
Don't forget geography.

Bazza's RH drive '71 VG Mexicana may be both rare and valuable in Australia, but here in the States it gets little more than a "That's odd!" type of response. If he were to sell it here he'd get $xxxx for it (rare, but not valuable), but if he were to ship it back to Oz he'd get 2 or even 3 times that amount, based on what we've dug-up.

Last edited:
-
Back