How should my duster handle

-
I never understood why people would want power steering that is hard to turn...the one finger steering is where it's at. I don't want to 'feel' the road. It's not a boob.

When I changed my original PS pump (Federal) to a Saginaw, I instantly noticed an increase in steering effort. Still power, but harder to turn. Yuck. So I opened up the flow orifice and made it easier.

Steering that feels like the tires are on ice is not what I want. Screw that. I like to feel resistance from the wheel when I turn it.

I never understood why people would want power steering that is hard to turn...the one finger steering is where it's at. I don't want to 'feel' the road. It's not a boob.

When I changed my original PS pump (Federal) to a Saginaw, I instantly noticed an increase in steering effort. Still power, but harder to turn. Yuck. So I opened up the flow orifice and made it easier.
I just use mine for cruising and car shows so I love the luxury of one finger steering, especially for parking. But I certainly get the other side of it for somebody that likes a sweet handling machine.

The importance of steering have some 'feel' is twofold. It allows a more consistantly precise input while providing feedback of the tire response. Tire response on dry pavement is primarily slip angle (which is not slip but the tire contact patch vs. the wheel angle) and that's a pretty subtle thing to be picking up and responding to. That's why this is the 'sporty' option, as well as a police/taxi option on the power steering.

I get all that, but we're not talking about cars that are fighting for pole position at Indy. The average 55 year old Mopar does very little but cruise around town and the occasional highway trip. Few people need their A Body to drive (and have the miserable ride) like a 2023 Corvette. This all goes back to a simple fact - the cars, as set up by Mopar back then, are very good performers. Yes, tires have improved, but not much else. 95% of all the aftermarket 'improvements' are emotional, not factual. That's fine, as it's part of the fun of cars, but that's all it is.

It's like when you see women buying $95/ounce jars of beetle root face cream infused with carrot peel because they are absolutely positive it will make people think they are 30 years old instead of 45 years old. Pure emotion.

You can poo poo sporty driving all you want, but that's always been my preference. Whether other owners want that or a more cushy feel is up to them. The OP asked so we've told him. You said you didn't understand why people wanted some steering response, I tried to explain it. I've met plenty of mopar owners who enjoy using their cars in the same way Scott Harvey did.
Steve and I did a lunch time drive around when he arrived as I'd been around the track a few times.
1673403585525.png

Everyone had a great time, and they do it pretty much every year.
1673404490702.png

1673404321350.png

1673404365260.png

1673404445990.png

What about my own car?
Not so much on track, but plenty of autocrosses, as well as any place I need to drive unless a full size jeep makes more sense for the trip.
1673405272992.png

1673405552146.png

It's driver preference. Steering feel or even the ratio itself doesn't make the car go faster.

I remember testing Late Models at a 1/2 paved banked track (Irwindale). Trying different things. On the same day we swapped steering gear box ratios and steering wheel diameters. All else the same. One driver had small diameter wheel and 8:1 box. The other a 16:1 and larger box. Same model steering wheels and both boxes by Lee Mfg. Both drivers had been racing 20+ years and both had track championships.

The guy I helped ran the 16:1 and larger steering wheel. He tried the quicker box / smaller wheel combo. Went slower. Didn't like it. We even tried changing the setup some. Still slower.

Mitch Lelito that has national Autocross championships in his 70 Challenger doesn't mind the overboosted power steering box. He even drills out the Saginaw pump's rear oriface larger so the assist can keep up. BTW the Federal box can not keep up with the quick steering movements of an autocross. Mitch found that out 40+ years ago when he first starting racing his car.

I certainly don't care what someone does to their car...but I do think too many people seek to modify their car to the point where it no longer even represents what a classic Mopar is. The big, thin steering wheels of the 60's, and the properly assisted steering, is part of the character of the cars. I remember when the modern fat, small diameter wheels were introduced and wondering why anyone would want that. It screams 1987 Chevy Cavalier to me.

Make the car steer like a modern car. Add low profile tires like modern car. Add a super stereo system like a modern car. Put in modern seats and dash. Swap out the engine and trans for a modern car's. After a while....this is your 1970 Duster:

2018-Dodge-Dart.jpg

I certainly don't care what someone does to their car...but I do think too many people seek to modify their car to the point where it no longer even represents what a classic Mopar is. The big, thin steering wheels of the 60's, and the properly assisted steering, is part of the character of the cars. I remember when the modern fat, small diameter wheels were introduced and wondering why anyone would want that. It screams 1987 Chevy Cavalier to me.

Make the car steer like a modern car. Add low profile tires like modern car. Add a super stereo system like a modern car. Put in modern seats and dash. Swap out the engine and trans for a modern car's. After a while....this is your 1970 Duster:

View attachment 1716033465

As someone who owns a '70 Duster with fat torsion bars, front and rear sway bars, wide modern tires on 18" wheels, firm-feel PS box, fairly aggressive alignment with plenty of caster and camber... It does NOT feel like a modern car. It handles and performs like one, but still feels like a classic Mopar. It's hard to describe in words so all I'll say is, don't knock it until you try it.

Being able to feel the feedback in the steering wheel as the front tires begin to slip in a hard turn is awesome. Also being able to feel the feedback in the brake pedal and easily modulate the braking force with manual front discs is fantastic. Can't get manual brakes in any modern car. BTW my steering wheel is smaller than stock but still thin, I also hate the fat poofy wheels on modern cars.

The "experience" of driving a classic Mopar *to me* is more about the direct feel of the engine and chassis transmitting everything to your hands, feet and butt so you KNOW exactly what the car is doing at all times. Modern cars have too much NVH mitigation built in for that to work as well, everything is numb whether the steering is firm or not, unless maybe you're driving a Miata.

Much more to this than meets the eye.

As someone who owns a '70 Duster with fat torsion bars, front and rear sway bars, wide modern tires on 18" wheels, firm-feel PS box, fairly aggressive alignment with plenty of caster and camber... It does NOT feel like a modern car. It handles and performs like one, but still feels like a classic Mopar. It's hard to describe in words so all I'll say is, don't knock it until you try it.

Being able to feel the feedback in the steering wheel as the front tires begin to slip in a hard turn is awesome. Also being able to feel the feedback in the brake pedal and easily modulate the braking force with manual front discs is fantastic. Can't get manual brakes in any modern car. BTW my steering wheel is smaller than stock but still thin, I also hate the fat poofy wheels on modern cars.

The "experience" of driving a classic Mopar *to me* is more about the direct feel of the engine and chassis transmitting everything to your hands, feet and butt so you KNOW exactly what the car is doing at all times. Modern cars have too much NVH mitigation built in for that to work as well, everything is numb whether the steering is firm or not, unless maybe you're driving a Miata.

I'll second these comments and dare I say my car handles better than lots of new cars. At moparty, there were 50 cars autocrossing total. That includes modern cars, trucks, and the vintage cars. I was 9th out of 50, and 4th in Vintage. Two of dudes in front of me had challengers with 315s all around and were much more "race prepared" than my car. The third in front of me was a dodge Omni (mopar version of a Miata). I realize that the driver has a lot to do with autocross performance, but its fun to say I have a 50 year car that gets around the course better than several modern cars.
When I'm not trying to make a turn at 60mph, it cruises really good. It doesn't float down the road like an original car. I feel connected when driving it. Floating down the road is fun, but I'll leave that to stock restorations or 4 door cars and station wagons.
I will never understand why people that build driver type cars automatically gravitate toward drag race inspired suspension components. Those are by far the worst handling components for a street driven car. If you're spending money on leaf springs, shocks, torsion bars, why not get some that make the car enjoyable to drive. You don't have to autocross or road race to run a 1.08 or 1.12 torsion bar. Guess what, they aren't going to rattle your teeth out with a good shock. You know what will, SS springs or caltracs with drag race shocks. I've been there and I'm never going back.

pic3.jpg

Last edited:
In my 1972 Chrysler you are able to turn the steering wheel with your pinkie while at a dead stop and it is great.

I think it all comes down to what someone wants out of their car. For some it might be the feeling from back in the day, for others it might be a desire for a sweet driving car, or maybe they want the baddest car on the block regardless of how it drives.

For the guy that likes to go back in time, a modern suspension and steering would ruin that because it doesn't feel like it did "back then". For the guy that likes to drive, he probably doesn't care how it drove when stock, he wants it to do what he want when he wants which means a modern suspension and steering. The guy with the motor sticking out of the hood and big and littles doesn't care how it drives now (or even back then) as long as it scares people to ride with him. To each their own.

Add that people's definition of "drive their car" could be different depending on geography and intent. And that definition doesn't come through, sometime even when they try and explain it. 11 miles of city/urban driving is different than the Tail of the Dragon but both guys could say they drive their cars.

The trick is to not get too wrapped up in "how I would do it" and let people build and use their cars the way they want. I might not agree with the restoration crowd, but I am glad restored cars are out there and can still enjoy the fruits of their labors. Just don't look down on me or tell me what I am doing wrong because of a "stock is best" attitude.

Add better steering, tires, suspension and a modern motor and trans and you are closer to the below than a new Dart:

Dodge-Challenger.jpg

Maybe you don't like those either, and that ok. But it's still a better representation of what an updated A-Body is.

Add better steering, tires, suspension and a modern motor and trans and you are closer to the below than a new Dart:

View attachment 1716033936

Maybe you don't like those either, and that ok. But it's still a better representation of what an updated A-Body is.

True but A-bodies are also about 1000 lbs lighter so there's that. I see modern Challengers like shortened C-bodies as that's about the comparable size and weight lol. I tend to view cars more from the aspect of how they're built and technical specs as opposed to what time period they came from and what they were like when new. I was born in 1991 so by the time I was driving age nobody was driving 60s-70s muscle cars regularly anymore and they were considered classics. I wasn't around when muscle cars were new or <10 years old so for me personally there's no point in leaving something stock that was marketed as a performance car. If/when I get a big cruiser like a Chrysler or Buick sedan which were intended to be soft cushy luxury cars then yeah I'll likely leave it stock. Well at least mostly lol. But that's just me and I totally understand everyone has different tastes and past experiences that influence their car building goals.

The biggest draw to me for A-bodies is that they weigh as little as most smaller modern import performance cars with turbo 4-banger engines but came from the factory with 5+ liter V8s and are RWD. They also have well-engineered suspensions and chassis where you don't need to convert everything to modern tech just to make it drive decent, like how most old GM and Ford stuff is.

True but A-bodies are also about 1000 lbs lighter so there's that. I see modern Challengers like shortened C-bodies as that's about the comparable size and weight lol.

Absolutely, they are heavier by far. In my case, I think it was only like 600 or 700 pounds different between my Duster and my Challenger, but my Duster isn't really a light weight either. Nice thing about that is, a 5.7 in a Duster with similar gearing should run with or even outrun a Scat Pack without having to spend the money for the "big" motor.

Funny thing is, the Duster and Challenger are within inches of each other length wise. When I was working on building a garage years ago I did some layouts to see how my cars would fit in it and when I went to get the width and length of a new Challenger and found out they are almost identical to my Duster, I just used the Duster twice. So size wise, I see them as very similar to an A-Body.

My only point was that a new Challenger is much more similar to an updated A-Body than a new Dart is. Not that a Challenger is the evolution of the A-Body. And I know the original post was intended to snub the idea of modernizing an old car and a new Dart is a more pointed weapon to try and poke at someone with

You have obviously never had that thing sideways trying to figure out which way it wanted to go and which way the wheel needed to go. ALL vehicles need "feel."

You have obviously never had that thing sideways trying to figure out which way it wanted to go and which way the wheel needed to go. ALL vehicles need "feel."
I'd say he's one pothole or groove away from the ditch.
Let them drive our Idaho roads and get the FEEL of the road. lol

Funny this is, the guy is building (built?) a W7 R3 motor and built his own custom upper control arms and strut rods. He isn’t a “stock only” kind of guy. So it must just be how he likes it.

Forums and the internet are so one dimensional. I would have guessed the guy was a restorer or something. Looks like he is almost the polar opposite. If I hadn’t gotten curious about his car (assuming the car in his avatar is his), I would never have guessed what he had done to it nor what he is capable of doing.

I get all that, but we're not talking about cars that are fighting for pole position at Indy. The average 55 year old Mopar does very little but cruise around town and the occasional highway trip. Few people need their A Body to drive (and have the miserable ride) like a 2023 Corvette. This all goes back to a simple fact - the cars, as set up by Mopar back then, are very good performers. Yes, tires have improved, but not much else. 95% of all the aftermarket 'improvements' are emotional, not factual. That's fine, as it's part of the fun of cars, but that's all it is.

It's like when you see women buying $95/ounce jars of beetle root face cream infused with carrot peel because they are absolutely positive it will make people think they are 30 years old instead of 45 years old. Pure emotion.

Lol. The fact that the tires have improved changes everything! The OP used the SKOSH chart correctly, you can't use the factory alignment numbers if you run radial tires. And I'm not even talking modern performance tires, I mean just plain old boring radials of any kind. They literally react differently to the road and steering inputs than the bias ply tires these cars were originally designed for.

If you do put modern performance tires on your car, everything changes. You have more traction, which means more force on the suspension. That means improving the wheel rates, upgrading the shocks to handle the higher wheel rates, etc, etc.

The simple facts are, if you upgrade your tires, you should also upgrade your suspension to be able to handle the forces those new tires can exert on your car. It's just physics, there are literally equations for it.

Clearly you're not someone that has actually improved the handling performance of an older car, Mopar or otherwise. You can increase performance by adding modern tires, updating and upgrading suspension components etc, but they're still nothing like driving a modern car. Which you would know if you'd ridden in one. Clearly your opinion is based only on aesthetics. Which is fine, if you want to run pinky finger power steering and 14" rims with big ol floppy tires on them as you cruise to DQ, have at it! Not for everybody though, I actually like to drive my car.

Well said!
In my 1972 Chrysler you are able to turn the steering wheel with your pinkie while at a dead stop and it is great.

See, that's the problem with over boosted steering. You think it's no big deal to just turn the wheels when your'e at a dead stop. Unfortunately, turning the wheels when you're at a dead stop is terrible for tire and steering component wear, there's a ton of force on the components because there's no rolling wheel or dynamics reduce it. The forces on all the steering components below the steering box are the same whether you've got some over boosted power steering box or completely manual steering. There's a reason why it's so hard to turn the wheel when you're at a dead stop with manual steering, and you should at least understand why that is, even if you prefer power steering. There's entire generations of people that will make steering corrections at a standstill, which is terrible for the steering components and tires.
Lol. The funny part about this is that the forces from that pothole or groove are the same on all the steering components below the steering box either way. The only difference is the effort it takes at the wheel. But if you're moving at speed, the effort isn't hard anyway. My 16:1 manual steering box is the same exact ratio as a factory power steering box, the same number of turns on the steering wheel for the same movement. I run 275/35/18's up front with +6.5° of caster and turning the car at speed is amazing, and you know what the tires are actually doing all the time.

And as @autoxcuda pointed out, the factory steering pump isn't fast enough to keep up with really fast steering movements. So really, the car with factory power steering is more likely to end up in the ditch.

Idaho roads are great too, not sure what you're whining about. Lots of other places with far worse road conditions.

Just drive in a straight line at 2 speeds ya do not need assist.

Speed one Go

Speed two Stopped

If a third speed is needed get factory power steering.
A factory power set up is not going to feel like over steer but I run 15 inch 60 series on my cars front since the 70s.
There is a good between racing a car and just tooling around in one.
Skinny tall tires move easy. Short fat ones don't.
If you go fat fronts keep the power steer. Don't make a cruiser unpleasant or you will crusie it less
Your opinion may vary, my opinion may be stuipd but I never ever claimed to be smart.

Last edited:
I actually do agree...people who turn the steering wheel without the car rolling are poor drivers. These are the same people who have cars that break and/or require repairs....my cars never, ever break. I've also never worn out a set of brake pads in under 100K miles.

As for the idea that if you upgrade the tires, you must 'upgrade' the rest of the suspension....that is 'magazine talk' which is founded in the need for their advertisers to sell more stuff.

I have had many old Mopars with 100% stock suspension and modern radials. They drove very well. Sure, you can make other changes but they're not necessary and are often 'downgrades' as much as upgrades. Human nature- along with magazine talk - is to assume any change must be an 'upgrade' if it's shiny and has clever stickers on it. Companies spend more money than you and I have together in studying how to appeal to that side of our brains.

Many parts sold for suspension are pure garbage...polyurethane bushings are at the top of that list but so are a lot of the fancy shocks and springs and sway bars. Too many guys buy a bunch of expensive parts and never bother sorting them out or even finding out if they work well.

I am all for modifying cars....but the mods have to work and work well. If you have an A Body that has mods that actually perform, that's what it's all about. But for every car like that I see 10 that are bolt-on specials.

The 'Gold Standard' of any Mopar suspension is to be 100% fresh and 100% stock. That is the starting point from which all mods are judged. It's a good starting point because, unlike other cars of the era, Mopars rolled out the door with a suspension that still holds its own 60 years later.

I actually do agree...people who turn the steering wheel without the car rolling are poor drivers. These are the same people who have cars that break and/or require repairs....my cars never, ever break. I've also never worn out a set of brake pads in under 100K miles.

As for the idea that if you upgrade the tires, you must 'upgrade' the rest of the suspension....that is 'magazine talk' which is founded in the need for their advertisers to sell more stuff.

I have had many old Mopars with 100% stock suspension and modern radials. They drove very well. Sure, you can make other changes but they're not necessary and are often 'downgrades' as much as upgrades. Human nature- along with magazine talk - is to assume any change must be an 'upgrade' if it's shiny and has clever stickers on it. Companies spend more money than you and I have together in studying how to appeal to that side of our brains.

Many parts sold for suspension are pure garbage...polyurethane bushings are at the top of that list but so are a lot of the fancy shocks and springs and sway bars. Too many guys buy a bunch of expensive parts and never bother sorting them out or even finding out if they work well.

I am all for modifying cars....but the mods have to work and work well. If you have an A Body that has mods that actually perform, that's what it's all about. But for every car like that I see 10 that are bolt-on specials.

The 'Gold Standard' of any Mopar suspension is to be 100% fresh and 100% stock. That is the starting point from which all mods are judged. It's a good starting point because, unlike other cars of the era, Mopars rolled out the door with a suspension that still holds its own 60 years later.

0043c3ec39d6b234e4ec66c15e398ec4dda39da149baf8032c.jpg

Stock suspension maybe holds its own compared to a dump truck. Even after rebuilding the front end of my Duster with stock parts and getting a better alignment I wasn't comfortable just cruising on the freeway at 75 mph since the body roll was soo bad with factory torsion bars and no sway bars, any curves or turns were sketchy. Put in 1" bars with poly LCA bushings, VAST improvement. And they don't squeak because I lube them every year or so. UCAs are stock with offset rubber bushings for more caster. Adjustable strut rods also went in shortly after, that made it feel much more stable under hard braking especially when turning.

First time I went to a track day it was somewhat balanced but of course, some understeer. I put on front and rear sway bars; roll reduced and it understeered less but the lame fat-sidewall tires had no grip.

Upgraded to actual modern performance low-profile tires on 18" wheels and much wider in front. Grip massively improved but then it was overpowering the springs and I'd hit the bump stops in hard cornering. Upgraded torsion bars to fatty 1.14" ones, holy cow now it feels like a slot car. Understeer came back a bit so I changed the alignment to go from 0 static camber to 2 degrees negative. Now it's pretty damn balanced and reacts great but the stock-replacement shocks basically do nothing now so I'm looking at a set of those "fancy shocks" (adjustable Foxes or equivalent) along with aftermarket UCA's that are more rigid and have more adjustability with beefier bushings.

What's the point of me outlining all this? It's to show that while the design of the factory suspension is very good, the factory spring rates, shocks, and tiny or non-existent sway bars are a joke and borderline dangerous with modern tires on modern roads with modern traffic. Every person who comes in here asking for advice on parts to upgrade or even just rebuild their suspension for even a street-only car my first recommendation is always 1.03-1.08" torsion bars, and if they can afford it adjustable strut rods and poly or delrin LCA bushings. Because I've been there and done that the whole way from stock to heavily modified for more cornering ability. It wasn't all at once either, there were years between each major upgrade so I had plenty of time to get a feel for my car in that configuration.

The people who aren't doing themselves favors are the ones dumping $3,000+ on a front coilover conversion thinking it'll make their car handle better. It won't, not any better than properly modified factory front suspension.

A few comments.

1...These old girls can handle pretty well with nothing more than replacing worn parts AKA bushings, ball joints, etc, getting wheel bearings up to snuff, and getting them aligned / per type of tires and aligned RIGHT

Since most of us don't know the history of our cars, I would replace EVERYTHING that moves such as bushings, ball joints, tie rods, etc

2...Tires make a tremendous difference, not just size and pressure, but sometimes one brand to another will make a huge difference

3...Don't forget rear alignment and spring bushings

4...Good shocks. Do not need to be anything tremendous, just good heavy duty shocks

5....You need a front anti sway bar even if nothing more than factor type

6....If possible get heavier T bars, V8/ at least.

7....You don't need a lot of money sometimes. My 67 had stock rear leafs, marginal. I took the spring packs apart, and the packs of a junker, and combined both using the longest of each. Put in same total amount +1 leaf and it just happened to be "right."

If your cars don't break or require repairs, you're not using them. Parts wear out if you drive.

"magazine talk"- uh, no. If you increase the coefficient of friction of your tires, you can transfer more force into the suspension. It's simple physics. The bias ply tires that the factory suspension was designed around had terrible traction, especially under cornering loads. Even your basic BFG TA radial has significantly improved traction compared to factory bias ply's. That means under cornering, braking, and acceleration you can put more force into the suspension than the factory wheel rates were designed to compensate for. Faster acceleration, shorter stopping distances, and sharper handling. Now, if you drive like a little old lady, maybe you don't notice any of that. If you don't drive like a little old lady, you should immediately notice that there's too much body roll under any significant cornering. You should also notice a MASSIVE amount of understeer, as well as frequent suspension bottoming even at the factory prescribed ride height. The factory wheel rates are simply too soft, and were even too soft from the factory because that was the public demand at the time (cloud like ride, not handling). The result does not "drive well", unless you never put any significant load into the suspension.

Polyurethane bushings are not "pure garbage". And quite frankly the fact you think that explains that you really don't understand very much about suspension. I will happily admit that polyurethane bushings are not right for every circumstance or build, that's definitely true. They also must be maintained in a way that's different from rubber bushings, because they are quite different from rubber bushings. Most, if not ALL, of the complaints I've seen here on this board about poly bushings are user error- poor installation and maintenance. They're not rubber, they don't act like rubber, they aren't installed like rubber, and they must not be maintained the same way as rubber. Properly installed and maintained poly bushings will outperform rubber bushings in pretty much any performance standard you can come up with. Like any suspension upgrade, they must be matched to work with the rest of the suspension components.

Shocks are in fact what keep the wheels on the ground, so, again, if you think "fancy shocks" are garbage or unnecessary it says more about you than it does them. This is really simple. If you improve your tires, you increase the loads the suspension can be exposed to. If you increase the wheel rates to better manage those increased suspension loads, you also need to have shocks that can handle the increased wheel rates and still properly dampen the spring force. Factory shocks will not, especially if you increase the wheel rate above 200 lb/in (which you should).

Sway bars are a great way to increase wheel rates without adding wheel rate all the time. There are some different schools of thought on spring rates, sway bar rates and their combined wheel rates depending on who you listen to. Dick Gulstrand and Herb Adams, for example, have exactly the opposite opinion on spring and sway bar rates. Dick Gulstrand was very much of the opinion that sway bars were only for fine tuning, so you should run poly bushings and higher spring rates with smaller sway bars to tune. Herb Adams believed in springing cars as softly as possible and then running gigantic sway bars to increase the wheel rates. Needless to say both have quite the reputation and history of success, and some of that is driver style. But saying you don't need to change out sway bars from factory if you've already changed out tires from factory is just ignorance.

Mopars 60 years later handle like the old muscle car barges that they are, and in 100% factory condition will lose any race that has 2 corners to the average modern commuter car. The factory designs greatest advantage was its adjustability, and being able to lower the factory suspension with just the torsion bars. That change in geometry suits the needs of radial tires VERY well, which is why these Mopars respond and handle so well when you lower them 1"-2", increase the torsion bar size so the wheel rate matches that of a modern car (200-300 lb/in wheel rate), and run modern wheels and tires with a modern alignment (based on the SKOSH chart to as wild as your set up). Because when you do that the suspension geometry, camber curves, bump steer etc all match VERY WELL to the needs of a modern radial tire.

If you don't do that, the suspension geometry, camber curves, bump steer etc are all very much set up for bias ply tires, which have totally different geometry needs.

-
Back