How To For Those Looking for Tips on Carpet Install

-
whered u get the carpet and the insulation? im in detroit

The carpet i got from YearOne and it was manufactured by ACC ( accmats.com ) then insulation I picked up at my local menards ( lowes and home depot would have it too).

I think when I got the carpet it was around $150.00 and everything to do the insulation was around $25.00 .

plus when you order through year one they offer promotional codes all the time and you can get 20% off if you order on the weekends and you can get 15% off during the week I think the 15% off codes right now are " MOPARTS " and " NASTY15 " .

hope that helps

man it has been about 15 years since I did any interior work. You just reminded me how it's done. It's not all that hard just time consuming. Looks good man. I hope mine comes out that nice but I'll have a few more obsticles to work around. IE the tubing for my cage.

Thanks for the tips on the inexpensive insulation. I was going to buy the Dynamat, but think I will do as you did and spend my dough elsewhere. Appreciate the pics. I'll do the same when I get to my interior. Thanks again. Scott

Jerrod: Have you had a chance to check out how well the insulation works against road noise or temperature yet??

Good job Jerrod!! Carpet and seats look great. Its amazing how a few bucks can make a world of difference on the inside!!

Jerrod: Have you had a chance to check out how well the insulation works against road noise or temperature yet??

no I have not been able to drive it yet ( work in progress ) ....however....doors closed while I was using the hair dryer to work wrinkles out of the carpet....it heated up in there fast and held the warmth very well.

also I can kick the floor and it drastically knocked down the noise you would hear if you kick your floor with just carpet.

and I can knock on my ceiling and there is no " metal tingy noise" just a "thud" .

and when I start the duster up and rev it there is a huge difference from before.

are my results better than what you might see with using dynomat ? probably not........but did I spend a hole $h!t load less? YOU BET I DID LOL:cheers:

Good job Jerrod!! Carpet and seats look great. Its amazing how a few bucks can make a world of difference on the inside!!

Thanks! ....I had to invest a little bit of money over a period of time and some elbow grease and a little bit of back yard budget mindedness....but it is coming together slow but sure.

trying to finish the car in "sections" , I already finished just about all mechanical aspects on the car ( link to my build thread below ). Interior is CLOSE to being done.

then I can put all my focus on body and paint over the winter and spring and hopefully have the duster done by next spring/summer ....all depends on weather, money,time and stuff like that lol

man it has been about 15 years since I did any interior work. You just reminded me how it's done. It's not all that hard just time consuming. Looks good man. I hope mine comes out that nice but I'll have a few more obsticles to work around. IE the tubing for my cage.

thanks and good luck on getting yours done!

if your cage is a bolt in type than you wont have to much trouble i wouldnt think...but if its a weld in.....you might have some fun getting all the round cuts in to look good and lay out nice and hiding any slices where you drop it in around the tubing.

good luck though and be sure to post it up on FABO when you do it!

thanks and good luck on getting yours done!

if your cage is a bolt in type than you wont have to much trouble i wouldnt think...but if its a weld in.....you might have some fun getting all the round cuts in to look good and lay out nice and hiding any slices where you drop it in around the tubing.

good luck though and be sure to post it up on FABO when you do it!

yeah man it's going to be painstaking, but I have more time than I know what to do with, so it will be ok. Also once I get it all cut to fit I'll take it down and have the edges stitched up at an interior shop. So the finish around the tubing will look professional. And it's a home built cage and all welded in.

yeah man it's going to be painstaking, but I have more time than I know what to do with, so it will be ok. Also once I get it all cut to fit I'll take it down and have the edges stitched up at an interior shop. So the finish around the tubing will look professional. And it's a home built cage and all welded in.

the stitching idea would look really neat.

its the small details like that, that make for a great car!

the stitching idea would look really neat.

its the small details like that, that make for a great car!

thanks man. I keep looking at my car thinking I should paint this or that and need to clean the other thing, but I gotta get all the fab work done at my buddys house first, than I can bring it home and start on making it look good.

honestly the stitching idea was more to keep it from coming apart than it is for looks. But it will look good too ha ha

Hey Jerrod I just found this thread great job buddy, though I have a couple questions and they might be stupid but here they are. 1. Why such a big area of no insulation under the front and rear seat? I know they did this factory but in my head I figure a little more would be just that much better, meaning I would think it would help in the heat area. and then 2. do you know if they make or redo the matte they used to put in the cars that had no options, I had a 74 Duster that had the vinyl flooring and would like to put it in my Dart.

Great job on the installation!!!!

Hey Jerrod I just found this thread great job buddy, though I have a couple questions and they might be stupid but here they are. 1. Why such a big area of no insulation under the front and rear seat? I know they did this factory but in my head I figure a little more would be just that much better, meaning I would think it would help in the heat area. and then 2. do you know if they make or redo the matte they used to put in the cars that had no options, I had a 74 Duster that had the vinyl flooring and would like to put it in my Dart.

they should do repops of the mat.

just look around/ask around.

as for why I put no insulation in certain spots (if you read back a few posts you will see where I explained why)......no real heat sources in those areas, plus there is 1/2" padding insulation on the back of the carpet in those areas,plus the carpet, plus the seats....I figured with all those factors it will knock down any heat and noise with ease. and no matter what.....what I did has got to be better than factory....which is all I was going for.

I didnt want it to be so quite inside that I could hear a mosquito fart lol....or I would have saved up for the expensive stuff......but going the route I did I would have to say it is atleast 5 times quieter and better at holding in and out temperatures

and yes putting insulation in the areas i did not....could only benefit the goal of knocking down noises and for temperature purposes......it was just a matter of personal preference as to why I did not put it in certain spots in mine.

COOL Thanks Jerrod, I didn't see the part where you explained that or I wouldn't have asked, sorry lol now I no why I did so good in school lol thanks again for the explanation.

COOL Thanks Jerrod, I didn't see the part where you explained that or I wouldn't have asked, sorry lol now I no why I did so good in school lol thanks again for the explanation.

no problem lol

I'm not 100% positive that this is what you're talking about, but here is the vinyl flooring that came instead of carpet in some models. Other places may have it, but here is the Year One link:

Oops, my link didn't work but just go to YearOne.com and go through their menus like this, and you will see them:

Mopar A/B/E Bodies » Interior » Floor Mats - Reproduction - Rubber

I just checked my YearOne A-body catalog (thing is like 2 inchs thick lol)

if you are talking a full replacement vinyl floor over lay (just like a carpet kit but molded vinyl instead) the part number is 6676v with either the option of black of beige color and also the option of 2 door or 4 door and automatic trans or manual trans .....so for instance lets say you want a molded black vinyl cover kit for your floor with an auto trans in a 2 door car. the part number would be 6676vBLK10 this set is $165.00

if you are talking about the rubber MAT that came in some a-bodies that was one solid peice that covered each floor pan and draped over the transmission tunnel than for a black one the part number would be MM2BLK this is $135.00 , the first one is what I think you are talking about though?

hope that helps

Hey Jerrod
I remember seeing this post when you started it did not finish reading at the time
Now that I am ready to start mine took awhile to fine the post so glad I did.
GREAT WRITE UP

Hey sorry so late Jerrod,
That first part number is the one I was talking about, thanks a lot buddy I appreciate all the trouble you went to looking it up for me thanks again and sorry so late.
Brad

I did my carpet about 18 years ago. I originally trimmed the edges at the door and folded it over the pinch weld seam, my sill plates split after time, I don't know if it was because of the carpet being folded over the seam, so I am going to trim it level with the pinch weld and maybe stick it down with some double sided duct tape, as soon as I find my heavy duty shears. I bought them at that time. I looked at 4 different stores(hardware stores and a Walmart)and can't find another pair.

I see the logic in saving some money, but how well did it perform as a sound deadener/insulator?
Would you say it's comparable?

The car is long gone now, sold it last summer. But it was extremely quiet inside.

Even with all I had done to the engine and 40 series exhaust you could easily carry on a conversation. Likewise you could crank up the stereo and roll the windows up and close the doors and from outside you could only faintly hear it.

-
Back