How to interact with a police officer(s)

-
After the introductions my next response is to let the officer know I have a firearm. He may or may not respond with where it’s located. He may or may not ask you to surrender the weapon to be placed on the roof of the car. I always hand the weapon butt first letting the officer know it’s not hot (chamber is empty). He may or may not ask to see my concealed permit. From there it gets on with business. On my part the conversation is cordial and respectful. Been my experience the officer will let you off with a warning.

After the introductions my next response is to let the officer know I have a firearm. He may or may not respond with where it’s located. He may or may not ask you to surrender the weapon to be placed on the roof of the car. I always hand the weapon butt first letting the officer know it’s not hot (chamber is empty). He may or may not ask to see my concealed permit. From there it gets on with business. On my part the conversation is cordial and respectful. Been my experience the officer will let you off with a warning.
I wouldn't do that unless he/she/they asks, if they search the car they will ask, at which point I would declare I have a weapon in the car. However laws and procedures vary depending on state. 2A is my right and not any of the LEOs business unless they ask if I have any weapons or contraband in the car. This is a link to the laws procedures in my state and i suggest everyone look up theirs in their state:Traffic Stop While Carrying in Pennsylvania - U.S. LawShield.

One of the most dangerous things for a police officer is a traffic stop. But under the law if you are carrying a firearm concealed or even openly in a car, you have no duty or requirement to announce to the police officer that you're carrying a firearm.

Being a legal firearm owner, it isn't as though I am going to shoot a cop for pulling me over.

Last edited:
I wouldn't do that unless he/she/they asks, if they search the car they will ask, at which point I would declare I have a weapon in the car. However laws and procedures vary depending on state. 2A is my right and not any of the LEOs business unless they ask if I have any weapons or contraband in the car. This is a link to the laws procedures in my state and i suggest everyone look up theirs in their state:Traffic Stop While Carrying in Pennsylvania - U.S. LawShield.

One of the most dangerous things for a police officer is a traffic stop. But under the law if you are carrying a firearm concealed or even openly in a car, you have no duty or requirement to announce to the police officer that you're carrying a firearm.

Being a legal firearm owner, it isn't as though I am going to shoot a cop for pulling me over.
Every state is different. This is what is being taught in the last several CCW classes I attended. I’ve been pulled over several times inArizona. On the Arizona stops the officers appreciated me being forthcoming right off the bat. Both times I was let off with a warning.

The out of state stop was this summer in Wyoming. Told the officer I had a firearm. He said “ Hell, so does everyone else in this state” I still got a ticket.

Every state is different. This is what is being taught in the last several CCW classes I attended. I’ve been pulled over several times inArizona. On the Arizona stops the officers appreciated me being forthcoming right off the bat. Both times I was let off with a warning.

The out of state stop was this summer in Wyoming. Told the officer I had a firearm. He said “ Hell, so does everyone else in this state” I still got a ticket.
Sounds like he thought you were flirting with him

thought of more

3. Don't speak unless spoken to. Look the officer in the eye.
4. If you have a brain larger than a chickpea, think about fostering a non-hostile scenario by displaying a calm, cool and non-threatening body language. Think even more about what you can do to make the officer feel relaxed and mitigating the officer's thoughts about brandishing his/her weapon.

feel free to add to this
Anytime I get pulled over I just put my hands kind of behind my head in the seat or roll down the window and kind of half lean out the window or he can see both my hands

Anytime I get pulled over I just put my hands kind of behind my head in the seat or roll down the window and kind of half lean out the window or he can see both my hands
I don’t do stupid stuff to get pulled over, solves that problem real quick.

Well, it helps. I got pulled over for running a red light and it was not a red light. They were fishing and let me go.
Yessir. I don't look like, act like, or even am a criminal. I'm just an old Chrysler guy and a Carpenter. I try and live and let live.

I don’t do stupid stuff to get pulled over, solves that problem real quick.
Agreed. About 2 years ago, I was on Palm Harbor and got Felony Stopped in my Jeep on the way to a Dr's house I work for. Three cars with guys pulling guns all because somebody said something on a cell phone and possibly knew someone tied to the courts/ Leo's

Agreed. About 2 years ago, I was on Palm Harbor and got Felony Stopped in my Jeep on the way to a Dr's house I work for. Three cars with guys pulling guns all because somebody said something on a cell phone and possibly knew someone tied to the courts/ Leo's
I woulda locked you up and threw away the keys. Lol

I woulda locked you up and threw away the keys. Lol
Now the time I got pulled over at 2:00 in the morning, tripping my balls off, back in the 90s, and they asked for my ID and it broke in half and hit the ground, I could barely speak to the cops, ( they said a car that looked like mine had went up to a party of people and assaulted a bunch of people, it was not us ) with a Muscle car load of redneck skinheads and long-haired hippie bikers.....

The cops are acting really weird these days. I got stopped again this past summer when I still had the dart. Two cops come up to the car, one on the passenger side and one on the driver side. I had one hand on the steering wheel and one hand on the shifter with the engine off.

He says "do you know why I stopped you?"
I said, " I have no freaking idea" (I know I wasn't speeding or doing anything stupid")

"Car matches a description, but I see this is obvious this is not the car we were looking for."

Yet they still want my ID, and check it. Then I get the "you drive safe miss" and just like that they were done with me.

I am still like ?????? What the hell kind of car matches the description of a 68 dart and used in a crime in the summer of 2022

???????????

The cops are acting really weird these days. I got stopped again this past summer when I still had the dart. Two cops come up to the car, one on the passenger side and one on the driver side. I had one hand on the steering wheel and one hand on the shifter with the engine off.

I said, " I have no freaking idea" (I know I wasn't speeding or doing anything stupid")

"Car matches a description, but I see this is obvious this is not the car we were looking for."

Yet they still want my ID, and check it. Then I get the "you drive safe miss" and just like that they were done with me.

I am still like ?????? What the hell kind of car matches the description of a 68 dart and used in a crime in the summer of 2022

???????????
They were fishing...

Yessir. I don't look like, act like, or even am a criminal. I'm just an old Chrysler guy and a Carpenter. I try and live and let live.

so what exactly does a criminal look like?

did ted bundy "look like" a criminal.

1669895846452.png

Law in Okla. was to tell an officer that you have a weapon , if your closer than 10 ft... , or was back when I took a conceiled carry course , now its legal to open carry in Okla. , no license needed !

???????????
Cops wanted a look see at a lady. They get bored too, Ever go hunting see nothing all day then you start shooting at pine cones, funny looking bushes just to shoot the gun.

Most LEO pull you over for tailight to see if they smell booze or weed, they already ran your tags or have them called in when they walk up to you. If nothing fishy, maybe a warning or a small fine or 5 day warning "get it fixed" card. I found out years ago it helps to not drive a POS car that looks like a 17 year old pulled it out of a junk yard and sprayed a case of rattle can primer on it. Those cars are ok...when you're 17 ... at 40 not so much LOL! Really an old car that is in good shape fits in well also they don't get hassled much. Last time I got stopped I had expired tags, I said to the cops "I have multiple vehicles sometimes I forget..." He gave me a warning and I said "Ill take care of it as soon as I get home..." no fine ...but I was sober ,had insurance, no warrants etc. Pa did away with the stickers so I never know when my cars are due registration unless I think about it and check...that piddly nonsesnse is just money it isn't like I'm a criminal..and any time they stop me I always have the money to update the tags.

???????????
seriously, have you met any people recently?

"yes, it was a car, it was greenish, maybe black, and had 4 wheels...i think"

Every state is different. Here in Michigan you are required to announce that you are legally carrying a firearm.

I had one squawk me and get on my rear bumper lights on on a two lane double yellow with no shoulder, no oncoming traffic..I said to th ewife, " WTF Am I speeding?.." shes like " dont think so..." I get through the section of road pull into a parking lot and he speed s on by...dumb I said "WTF why didn't he pass in the oncoming lane no one was there..."

Record the interaction. Eliminates potential "he said..she said" scenarios.
Record the interaction, and stream the interaction off-site in real time. (Most smartphones can do this.)
Don't chimp out, 100% chance of a good experience. Like they say if you aren't doing anything wrong act like it.
I know this from personal experience (many)
That's the stupidest thing I have seen in months.

???????????
One of them might have wanted to see if he could figure a way to steal the car.

As a Wyoming native, yup, that sounds like a Wyoming state bull.

-
Back