How to make torque boxes

-

hydro

Reaction score
I have been looking at threads about torque boxes for a while now, and the pre-made ones are gloriously expensive, so I decided to have a go at making my own. Not being too concerned with factory correctness, I drew up a sketch of what the front and rear would need to look like to accomplish the task of adding torsional stiffness to the body. Last week I stopped at Discount Steel and picked up a 2’ X 4’ piece of 14ga hot rolled steel for a little over $12.00. I was out in the shop Saturday morning and had nothing hot on the agenda, so I went ahead and fabricated up a set. Here is how it went;

Fortunately, the car is already on a rack that I made, so access was pretty easy.
Image006.jpg

Here is the front frame pocket that will get boxed in.
Image004.jpg

The rear frame pocket is more complex than the front, and an access hole needs to be created to get to the spring hanger fasteners.
Image005.jpg

I laid out the cut lines for the blanks and used my trusty Bosch jig saw to cut out pieces. Here is the front blank set in the frame to begin scribing to fit. Notice it needs to be bent a little as well.
Image007.jpg

All of the pieces needed to be bent to fit the frame, so I set up a jig in the bench vise with an angle iron. I clamped the blank in to the angle and then clamped a piece of ¼” plate to the sheet and used that to control the bend line. This is my version of a hillbilly sheet metal brake.
Image011.jpg

Here is the front driver’s side test fit into place. The angle clears the fender fasteners and follows the front frame support. I still need to cut the drain hole in this piece.
Image013.jpg

Once the piece was scribed to fit, I tacked it in place, hammering around the welds where necessary to get the metal tight to the supports. That makes welding easier later.
Image014.jpg

The rear plate is more complex and has a sharp bend that needs to follow the frame rail. I used three bend lines to get it close, then I persuaded it into place. The weld in the lower section is where I needed to add metal due to the extra length of the bend angle.
Image015.jpg

Here I am cutting the spring fastener access hole. Note the air nozzle by the blade. I put that on the saw to keep the blade cool and blow the chips out of the cut. It works very well!
Image016.jpg

Here we go! Both front and rear boxes are fabbed and tacked in place and ready to weld up.
Image017.jpg

Same shot welded, cleaned up and primed.
Image018.jpg

Here is a rear detail showing the metal work around the access hole. I flared the metal out to add a little strength and to mimic the factory appearance.
Image019.jpg

Front detail showing the drain hole and bends. Pardon the weld along the body seam, I was having trouble getting the wire to feed smoothly. Always something to adjust!
Image020.jpg

Nice job, I'm going to be doing the same shortly. Luckly I have a sheet metal brake. What did you use to flair the access holes in the rear ones? Just a hammer ? Looks good! Gee if you fabbed up a few sets you could sell them easily.

Crap, Now you just caused me to do more work on my 67 Dart GT! It is on stands now all tore apart so It will get done when I do the Subframe Connectors.

Thanks for the pics!

Nice work.

The front ones from the factory end about where that oval hole in the front rail is located. You might find some fun in getting your e-brake cable installed. Might think about an access hole in that side.

Nice work and great pics of the "hillbilly" tools. I love that stuff.

Nice write up. Unless you are going for a 100 point resto thats the way to do it. 12 bucks VS 200+ for the pre made ones. Thats the way to go for sure.

Thanks for sharing your work. I was just looking for ideas on how to do the same thing. You have definately inspired me.

Looks good! nice subframe ties too. Any info on those? Should be a strong chassis. toolman

Thanks for the comments. I actually used only about 1/2 of the $12.00 piece of metal, so material cost was about $6.00.

On the oval access holes, I used a ball peen hammer and a backer anvil made from 1/4" bar stock rounded over on one edge to form the flare. Clamped it in the vise and pushed the metal over.

On the E-Brake cable, this car had it routed on the other side (inside) of the frame rail so I think I'm OK there, but if not, I'll just make the needed holes and run her through!

On the frame ties, I got that off of Big Block Dart. Pretty simple, just a 2" X 3", 11ga tube laid flat. At the rear, the tube gets cut to lap over the frame rail, and has 2" X 5" flanges in front that get welded to the frame. Here is where you can run into issues with E-brake and fuel line routing.

Hillbilly my big butt. That's some fine work!

Wow, Thanks for showing all of us your handy work. Keep it up. Your car ought to be nice and tight.

Excellent stuff there, hydro. Your thread should be a permanent fixture in the tech section.

Great work ! Wish I had the skill to do this type of work .

I will be adding the same to my 66 Dart this winter for added strength.Cheap is good,quality work=priceless.

-
Back