How to remove drums with out destroying them???

-

Reaction score
OK I have been collecting spare hub and drum assemblies for my dart. Well I have been trying to remove the drums from the LH threaded hubs to save. Well I can not seem to get them off with out putting them in a press and pressing the hub out of the drum. And it ruins the drum, as the middle bends down in before the hub is released. Is there a better way? Or is it just a fact of life that when you remove the drums from the hubs they are scrap? Thanks for any ideas!

put the wheel nuts on the studs and press the studs out first, the hub will almost fall out then and with the nuts on the studs the studs won't be harmed and can be reused

The wheel studs are swedged in. Try using a die-grinder to cut the swedged areas, then press it apart.

put the wheel nuts on the studs and press the studs out first,

No, no, no. The studs on many front hubs are "swedged" which is the same difference as riveted.

You need to cut the "rivet" or "swedge" off from the stud. You can buy cutter tools for this purpose.

Are you "Miking" these drums for size? You may be wasting your time, as surely "most" used drums off cars this old are close to the toss dimension, anyhow.

Yes! Like these great members has said :D memike types to slow thank you all this morning :happy1:

Thanks for the input every one! I will give grinding the swedge off a try.

Thanks!

If you press a swedged stud out of a hub you will likely end up with a ruined hub that studs just fall out of. heat is not the answer.

The wheel studs are swedged in.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.

We borrowed a swedge cutter which is basically a hole saw that fits over the stud and removes the material where the hub and drum are "swedged" together.

The first question that came to my mind is.....why are you taking the drum off? If it's a good drum, leave it attached to the hub. If it's a bad drum, who cares if it get damaged?

Simple,
They are on LH threaded hubs. And I want to save the drums for my RH threaded hubs. I will never use the LH hubs. Thanks

The first question that came to my mind is.....why are you taking the drum off? If it's a good drum, leave it attached to the hub. If it's a bad drum, who cares if it get damaged?

Gotcha......I never had a problem with LH lug nuts myself so it didn't come to mind that others might. If I put one the right side of a car, I put a dab of paint on the ends of the studs and nuts to remind me that they're LH. You just have to remind the knuckleheads at the tires store that they're LH! Sometimes several times!

Yea,
I just have RH threads all the way around my car, as the 8 3/4 under it has RH on both sides, I just use RH hubs up front. That way there is no thinking which way to turn when I remove a wheel. That and it is a lot easer to find chrome lug nuts in RH thread! LOL

Gotcha......I never had a problem with LH lug nuts myself so it didn't come to mind that others might. If I put one the right side of a car, I put a dab of paint on the ends of the studs and nuts to remind me that they're LH. You just have to remind the knuckleheads at the tires store that they're LH! Sometimes several times!

Dont bother cutting the swedge, just grind the heads off the backside of the hub down to the OD of the shank and tap out with a punch. The swedge is fatter than the shank on the threaded side and if you muscle that out the back, you burnish the id of the hub out to the size of the swedge, ..ruined unless you use an oversized knurl press in stud and that still is sketchy.

-
Back