How To Replace your Lower Column Bearing: Better and Cheaper!!!

-
Hard to see it up in there but it's a good fit.
IMG_0359.JPG

IMG_0361.JPG
IMG_0362.JPG
image.jpg
I bought a 2" x 2 1/4" brass bushing to press my 1" x 2" bearing into, then slide it inside the column jacket after I press the bearing/bushing combo on the shaft.
Still waiting for the bearing to arrive....usps=slowww.

The brass bushing isn't a press tight fit in the column so I'm using black rtv around its circumference. This will take up that extra space, hold it tightly in place along with added measures and absorb some vibration. I'm using a flaming river joint between the shaft and power steering box.

I used an old flap wheel then plumbers emery cloth to prep the shaft on my Duster column. For a budget build, a great thing about this mod is that it only costs about $9 for the bearing shipped to your door via Amazon.
IMG_6594.JPG

What size bearing would be needed for a 65 barracuda. Part number if you have one. My column is out and a perfect time to take care of this

Do 1961 model A Bodies have a lower column bearing?
thanks

Not sure, but it's not really a matter of whether they had them or not. Most of the later A-bodies didn't really have them, most just had a nylon sleeve, some of them had tiny little roller bearings. But it's more a matter of whether or not you want to add one and what size will fit.

What size bearing would be needed for a 65 barracuda. Part number if you have one. My column is out and a perfect time to take care of this

You'd have to measure the steering column jacket. The steering shaft should be the same size but I don't know about the outer jacket. As 65Val and 67dartgtgo noted on the last page and above the 67 column he had was different, with a 2.25" diameter instead of 2" like the later cars. They both used the ER16 but with a spacer/sleeve to reduce the diameter. I'm not sure if the '65 is the same and would require the extra sleeve or not.

Not sure, but it's not really a matter of whether they had them or not. Most of the later A-bodies didn't really have them, most just had a nylon sleeve, some of them had tiny little roller bearings. But it's more a matter of whether or not you want to add one and what size will fit.

You'd have to measure the steering column jacket. The steering shaft should be the same size but I don't know about the outer jacket. As 65Val and 67dartgtgo noted on the last page and above the 67 column he had was different, with a 2.25" diameter instead of 2" like the later cars. They both used the ER16 but with a spacer/sleeve to reduce the diameter. I'm not sure if the '65 is the same and would require the extra sleeve or not.

Thanks for the straight answer.

Not sure if I have missed this in the thread... but what's the easiest / best way to remove the original lower column bearing off the shaft?

nice !! think I'm going to re-work my column, Lawrence
Did you get that bearing set up to work? I know the is an old post . I'm giving it a shot. New to this forum and don't know how to ask questions on here.

Did you get that bearing set up to work? I know the is an old post . I'm giving it a shot. New to this forum and don't know how to ask questions on here.
Actually I haven't tried. I'm in the process of doing so many different things to my 65.
Also my wife had surgery so I haven't been in the garage in over a week.
She is doing fine. I'm working 3 days this week and if the hurricane doesn't come this direction ill get back on it Thursday

Actually I haven't tried. I'm in the process of doing so many different things to my 65.
Also my wife had surgery so I haven't been in the garage in over a week.
She is doing fine. I'm working 3 days this week and if the hurricane doesn't come this direction ill get back on it Thursday

I hear ya. Funny thing, knee replacement for me Tuesday. My son and I bought a 65 gt about 6 months ago. Pretty much in pieces. So now we are trying to figure out what goes where. Good luck with your project and give your wife best wishes.

I hear ya. Funny thing, knee replacement for me Tuesday. My son and I bought a 65 gt about 6 months ago. Pretty much in pieces. So now we are trying to figure out what goes where. Good luck with your project and give your wife best wishes.
Good luck with you as well.

Have y'all ever messed with the upper bearing? The upper on my Challenger makes a squeeling noise when I turn the wheel and I wonder what an effort it is to replace that one? Anyone have an idea?

Thanks,
Chris

I used an old flap wheel then plumbers emery cloth to prep the shaft on my Duster column. For a budget build, a great thing about this mod is that it only costs about $9 for the bearing shipped to your door via Amazon.
View attachment 1715041078
I like this bearing better than the regular 1x 2'' that I used. Of course I paid more for mine too since it was bought in rapem tulsa >

Have y'all ever messed with the upper bearing? The upper on my Challenger makes a squeeling noise when I turn the wheel and I wonder what an effort it is to replace that one? Anyone have an idea?

Thanks
Chris
All i have ever done with the upper bearings was clean them and lube them with a light oil, or fresh new 30W motor oil. Same upper bearing on dodge pickups without tilt wheel thru the early 80s and 70s chrysler dodge plymouth cars without tilt wheel. Maybe you can find a better one in the junkyard.

Hope this helps
Matt

I know this is a relatively old thread, but I thought I would add to it. After discovering this thread, I took some part numbers and headed to the bearing store. Great guy, has been there since he was 14 in 67. So I told him what was up and what I was after to rebuild the column on my 67. He gave me the R16 or whatever, but when I told him the dimensions, he suggested something different.
What he gave me is this bearing for an air handler. It has a rubber sleeve and a set screw collar on the bottom. It fits wonderfully. I cut the plastic bushing down so as to keep the middle tube true. Works great. The old bearing was down to sleeve. Took it back apart to finish paint. Will forever assemble with more pix tomorrow.
A15D2AFD-2139-48AF-8CC8-6CC222303052.jpeg
25833ECF-E6AD-4263-A8DA-872503C3CAD6.jpeg
A43809E6-B43F-40BE-B448-022B33D6722D.jpeg

I know this is a relatively old thread, but I thought I would add to it. After discovering this thread, I took some part numbers and headed to the bearing store. Great guy, has been there since he was 14 in 67. So I told him what was up and what I was after to rebuild the column on my 67. He gave me the R16 or whatever, but when I told him the dimensions, he suggested something different.
What he gave me is this bearing for an air handler. It has a rubber sleeve and a set screw collar on the bottom. It fits wonderfully. I cut the plastic bushing down so as to keep the middle tube true. Works great. The old bearing was down to sleeve. Took it back apart to finish paint. Will forever assemble with more pix tomorrow. View attachment 1715417147View attachment 1715417148View attachment 1715417149
I’m doing mine as well should be done this weekend, I went with the 205 bearing recommend here. I’m adding a 2.5” x1” exhaust clamp to hold the plastic piece on the column.
09360827-419B-4D44-BB20-1700E2DAF2D1.jpeg
09360827-419B-4D44-BB20-1700E2DAF2D1.jpeg
568C7DDB-CAA1-4937-AB24-F82F78321DEB.jpeg
E5D4DBC9-1D4A-42E6-BA57-D003E7950A31.jpeg
5BF43872-20A8-4CE9-95C7-4180D5157040.png

What he gave me is this bearing for an air handler. It has a rubber sleeve and a set screw collar on the bottom. It fits wonderfully. I cut the plastic bushing down so as to keep the middle tube true. Works great. The old bearing was down to sleeve. Took it back apart to finish paint. Will forever assemble with more pix tomorrow. View attachment 1715417147View attachment 1715417148View attachment 1715417149
Do you have any part number or mfg name for the one he sold you?

-
Back