hughes big mouth heads

-

crazy 340

Reaction score
So I'm tired of waiting for edelbrock victor small block heads

And found those the big mouth heads from Hughes engine
Those someone have them or know anything from those good or bad
A guy I know pretty well close to Québec city bought few parts from Hughes and he doesn't have any complaint but do not know anything about those heads

So if you have anything to say ...

thanks Bob

I, like yourself never waited on the Edel. Victor heads and proceeded to move ahead.
I have a set of Big Mouth LA's and there super nice.
The Magnum will flow a little more in the upper lifts & can be drilled for LA intakes.

I, like yourself never waited on the Edel. Victor heads and proceeded to move ahead.
The Magnum will flow a little more in the upper lifts & can be drilled for LA intakes.

Do you have any pics Rumble?

They should but will need new lifter, push rode.... and I'm running the engine I wanna use them on except with w2 race heads fully ported

That I will sell if I do make the move!!!

Few guys told me that they are indybrock heads and the indybrock didn't flow what they were suppose to so little afraid of buying heads that do much that what I already have

They are the Hughes version of the IndyBrock. Neither companies advertised flow numbers are accurate. That being said,I'd buy the Hughes heads over the Indys any day.

I bought a pair, along with the rockers from Hughes last Winter.
Have not put them on anything yet, quality of work is superb according to my machinist.

Got a set of Hughes CNC Eddys Open Chamber heads on a 71 Dart 360....seems to run pretty good

Sorry for the delay.

Hughes "Big Mouth" LA heads exhaust ports, and a Fel-Pro gasket against the head.

Attachments

• DSCN0141.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 805
  • DSCN0158.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 777
  • DSCN0160.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 800
  • DSCN0161.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 770
  • DSCN0159.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 731
exhaust

Attachments

• DSCN0146.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 734
  • DSCN0144.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 654
  • DSCN0147.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 680
Geez, blurry, dang! Sorry. (FRACK!)
Intake side, good bright port shots and with gasket

Attachments

• DSCN0149.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 842
  • DSCN0148.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 799
  • DSCN0154.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 786
  • DSCN0153.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 815
Intake and gasket, LD-340
Porting the intakes to the gasket line will help a lot. It will help the fuel stay atomized by not crashing into the wall. If your doing it, go as far into the intakes runner as you can. Then go into the plenum and finish up. Try and Maintain equal size of the port runner for as much as you can. It does change shape the further you go in. Porting a dual plane intake is super difficult compared to a single plane. Which is not as easy as you may think.

OH, due note that the intake is not lined up so well. The gasket will expose more roof. No worries on the LD-340, plenty of meat. But still BE CAREFUL if you start in on it!

Attachments

• DSCN0171.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 708
  • DSCN0170.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 733
Gasket on intake of A typical (AKA Spreadbore) M1 single plane.
Gasket bolt holes lined up good.

Attachments

• DSCN0177.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 680
  • DSCN0178.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 672
With an elongation of the intake holes to come in line with the gasket and standard LA heads attaching bolts holes, the W5 intakes can be used. This is a big port W5.
As you can see, less work is needed. Not that it would not get better from good work though.
This is a beefy intake with lots of plenum.

Attachments

• DSCN0181.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 644
  • DSCN0180.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 646
  • DSCN0183.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 676
Yes! There is an intake better than that W5 and the racers/extreme performance guys know this monster..... The Indy, to the right of the W5, over 3/4 of an inch taller. There could be hood clearance problems! LMAO! I have even seen this one ported out by a few. And yes, they run wacko fast.
Monster size intake for monster size power.

Attachments

• DSCN0184.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 692
  • DSCN0186.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 663
  • DSCN0185.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 715
Did I for get the chambers?????? Dang shinny and hard to get a good shot. I had them re-opened to the 63 cc as stated as stock.

Attachments

• DSCN0165.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 689
  • DSCN0164.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 718
  • DSCN0163.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 709
OH WAIT, what the heck?!?!? 1 last thing, the thing they "DO" to make them into "Big Mouth Heads!" They plug the pushrod hole and redrill. It is not so easy to see. I tried for a good photo, but I suck, what can I say.... sorry. You can see it a little better but smaller in the above post, middle picture.

Attachments

• DSCN0150.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 720
  • DSCN0166.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 744
nice parts Rumble, looks like you have some of the make'ns.

nice parts Rumble, looks like you have some of the make'ns.
Yup, solid roller and a 6 pack. And yes I know the 6 pack is a limiter even when ported.

Thanks for sharing Rob !

Would love to see the bowls with the valves out.

It will be a little while before I can get there for you. But I'll do it. I have to change the springs out. The stock Edelbrock springs are still there and need to be swapped out.

Sweet! Thanks for sharing! Christmas is coming early this year!
I like the sound of that. Like the on coming storms thunder.

-
Back