Hughes Edelbrock heads : Smallblock

-
Testing both of his heads then.....

Always look forward to his posts.

BPE build > Rod, can you tell which mahcine shop will be doing builds ? ,,,,,,,,,Can somebody call CHiNA and have them build blocks .... they seem to be doing OK with cylinder heads ....

My brother and I will be doing the builds. The engine will be built with what I have on hand, with a factory 360 block, my 4.125" kits, around 11 to 1 and one of the cams I have laying around. We plan to spend 2 or 3 days on the dyno swapping cylinder heads and maybe intakes. Nothing concrete at this point and not looking for every ounce of power just, a nice pump gas stroker utilizing my cylinder head program. I also have a good idea that there's an attempt to bring back the R3 program but, we will see how that unfolds over the next few months.

Rod

My brother and I will be doing the builds. The engine will be built with what I have on hand, with a factory 360 block, my 4.125" kits, around 11 to 1 and one of the cams I have laying around. We plan to spend 2 or 3 days on the dyno swapping cylinder heads and maybe intakes. Nothing concrete at this point and not looking for every ounce of power just, a nice pump gas stroker utilizing my cylinder head program. I also have a good idea that there's an attempt to bring back the R3 program but, we will see how that unfolds over the next few months.

Rod

Let's hope the R3 deal pans out. With current stroke lengths the taller deck height, the wider bore spacing and higher cam height make them much better than the Chevy or dorf stuff.

I wish I had better news to report but, it is what it is. The engine was built and hauled 7 hours one way, only to have issues with the dyno for 3 straight days. We broke the engine in without issue and then everything went to hell. It wouldn't hold the engine at a reasonable RPM to get any usable information. The air / fuel numbers were all over the place and made little to no sense. The dyno would get a hold of the engine but, as soon as the RPM started to climb, it would just let go of it then try to grab it again. We tryed the valve on the back but, it was froze up and wouldn't turn either direction. With several failed attempts at getting a hold of anyone at Superflow we finally gave up.

Rod

That sucks was hoping to see what those heads were able to make hp wise

I wish I had better news to report but, it is what it is. The engine was built and hauled 7 hours one way, only to have issues with the dyno for 3 straight days. We broke the engine in without issue and then everything went to hell. It wouldn't hold the engine at a reasonable RPM to get any usable information. The air / fuel numbers were all over the place and made little to no sense. The dyno would get a hold of the engine but, as soon as the RPM started to climb, it would just let go of it then try to grab it again. We tryed the valve on the back but, it was froze up and wouldn't turn either direction. With several failed attempts at getting a hold of anyone at Superflow we finally gave up.

Rod

Wow that sucks.

WOW! Crap day for sure!

Well, I myself and a good few others here will be awaiting your results when you can get them in.

Thanks for trying and best of luck next round.

I honestly don't know if I will put it back on a dyno at this point. I took a week off of work (without pay) to do this and just need some time to recoup my losses. As some of you may know, my business is 100% self financed and I'm not wealthy. If anyone is going to the Indy Tradeshow this weekend, I will be there with the cylinder heads for people to look at first hand. Thank you for the continued interest.

Rod

I honestly don't know if I will put it back on a dyno at this point. I took a week off of work (without pay) to do this and just need some time to recoup my losses. As some of you may know, my business is 100% self financed and I'm not wealthy. If anyone is going to the Indy Tradeshow this weekend, I will be there with the cylinder heads for people to look at first hand. Thank you for the continued interest.

Rod

Rod surely there is a dyno shop closer than 7 hrs one way to you? If you were geographically closer to me I'm sure we could come up with some kind of deal in trade. J.Rob

Jesse, I chose this place because I have personally known the owner for 20+ years and he is located in the town I grew up in. I could have taken it somewhere locally but, honestly I can't afford the $800 to $1000 per day with all of the changes I wanted to make. In hindsight, it may have been cheaper just to bite the bullet. And thank you, I wish we were closer, as I enjoy reading your posts.

I think someone else mentioned modern cylinder head they are located north of detroit in clinton twp. near 59 and I94. Call them tell them what you want to do, see what head he suggests, then buy the head and drive them over to him, you do live in michigan. He is real knowledgeable and does good work. And he knows and owns mopars.

The heads are a work of art Brett and Rod did a great job on those heads hopefully some soon will have s set on a car making some good hp

-
Back