Hunting lately

-
Here in Pennsylvania it's archery season and small game. There was an early "senoir hunt". My mom (72 yrs old) shot a nice sized doe last Thurs. She uses a Marlin 30-30.

We've been out a few times for squirrel and rabbit, but game is scarce. It seems like the cycle has come around to the lean years. Many people attribute it to the increase in coyotes and foxes. I wouldn't argue with them. I did spot a ringed neck on the run, but couldn't get the beagle on the scent to flush him.

Not too many years ago, three of us could go out with one beagle and get 10 - 12 rabbits in a morning. Now we are lucky to get 2 or 3 chases. It becomes hard work busting brush and stomping piles with no game to chase. I think I'll spend this afternoon cleaning my gutters and mowing my yard one last time. Sad.

Congratulations 1973Swinger!! The first one with a bow is special.
Now you can hunt down that big buck. Happy hunting sir.:mrgreen:

Thanks! Yeah, Im after a pretty big 8 pointer that hangs around here. Been after him the last 2 years. Hes a tricky one, always seems to stay just out of range no matter what the season. I missed him opening morning with my bow, again he was a little out of my normal shooting range but I thought I might be able to pull the shot off and missed him clean by about an inch. Tomorrow is the full moon and the temps are dropping, so the rut should be getting into swing in the next week or two. Im hoping that he gets a little stupid this year and wanders into one of my shooting lanes!

Thanks! Yeah, Im after a pretty big 8 pointer that hangs around here. Been after him the last 2 years. Hes a tricky one, always seems to stay just out of range no matter what the season. I missed him opening morning with my bow, again he was a little out of my normal shooting range but I thought I might be able to pull the shot off and missed him clean by about an inch. Tomorrow is the full moon and the temps are dropping, so the rut should be getting into swing in the next week or two. Im hoping that he gets a little stupid this year and wanders into one of my shooting lanes!
Sound like you are in his territory!! Yes sir , Let him get into rut and he will come see what you have for him.

Hope you bust his lungs and get the buck you are after.:clock:

I got my first deer with my bow after work today! It was even better because it was the first time I hunted out of the new ladder stand I got Sunday! I got a nice doe, no pics though, it was too warm and I had to get her to the processor quickly. It is good to have gotten one after the first 3 years of being unsuccessful with my bow! :toothy9:

Sounds like a good year to tag out!!:blob:
You have a good start on it.
How many dear can you get this year where you live 1973swinger?

Congratulations !! Sounds like it has been awhile :thumbrig:

Sounds like a good year to tag out!!:blob:
You have a good start on it.
How many dear can you get this year where you live 1973swinger?

Congratulations !! Sounds like it has been awhile :thumbrig:

Well, I had 2 last year durring gun season, its just that Ive only been bow hunting for the 3 previous years and didnt get any with that. I have one "either sex" tag left for bow, 1 buck only tag and 2 doe permits for gun season. If I tag out durring early bow I can still go back and get another "either sex" tag for muzzleloader which comes after gun is over. So, I could possibly get 5 more this year. I am trying for 2 more, but we will see what happens. :mrgreen:

Well I finally got a 100 lb doe today. I didn't get to go last weekend but I feel better about it now.

Deer season 07 003.jpg

Well I finally got a 100 lb doe today. I didn't get to go last weekend but I feel better about it now.

Glad to here you got out and feel better about getting your day in the woods.
Looks like a good lung shot.:rambo:
Thanks for sharing, and that sure is a nice looking Jeep. :love10:

Glad to here you got out and feel better about getting your day in the woods.
Looks like a good lung shot.:rambo:
Thanks for sharing, and that sure is a nice looking Jeep. :love10:

I had fun that's for sure.

That's my friends Jeep. He has some plans for it that will make it super nice. 5" lift kit, springs, shocks, Chevy motor and drivetrain, hard top, and other stuff.

I had fun that's for sure.

That's my friends Jeep. He has some plans for it that will make it super nice. 5" lift kit, springs, shocks, Chevy motor and drivetrain, hard top, and other stuff.

Sounds like you could introduce him to a good mopar set up and keep it
all mopar.:thumbup:
Hook him up with a small block stroker and watch him pull the front wheels and jump across rocks and have a pulling machine.:naka:

mopar sure has the tough stuff,

But them chebby parts sure are easy[-X

Sounds like you could introduce him to a good mopar set up and keep it
all mopar.:thumbup:
Hook him up with a small block stroker and watch him pull the front wheels and jump across rocks and have a pulling machine.:naka:

mopar sure has the tough stuff,

But them chebby parts sure are easy[-X

Yeah he is a Chey man and I can't change that no matter how hard I try. Although he did stop by a man's house and ask about a Duster the guy had sitting in his yard.

His friend has a Jeep with a built 360 in it and he is getting some ideas from him about lift kits etc... But I guess he just wants a Chey motor in it.

Sounds like a good friend.
So do like the the song says and "Let it be".:thumrigh:
I sure do like them Jeep's and his looks good.

But I bet that doe will taste better. Congradgalations.:supz:

Hey Mike, Just took my deer to get it cut up. Found out my work schedule was changing, and I would lose most of my hunting season, so I decided not to horn hunt this year. I took a 138 lb doe Friday. Kinda sucks, because I haven't taken a doe since 1981. That's OK though, the "ol' lady" says I don't need another one hanging on the wall. Should taste good.

I could've tagged out every day, since the start with a spike horn, but it's sort of a pet. It's been hanging with 2 does and 3 lambs, and they come to our apple trees every afternoon. We feed about 30+ deer every winter, and they are coming in early this year. When they start coming in, I'll post a thread with some pics. They're Mopar fans too, so I guess it'll be OK.

Here's a couple of pics from the kitchen window, 30 feet to the feeders. I've got plenty of buck pics. Last year was the best, with 9 different bucks.

100_2710 (Small).JPG

100_2102 (Small).JPG

Wow Nice pics. Good job guys. Question though, You guys shoot allot of doe's. Why? Maybe we just cant in Cali or maybe thats how i was always taught? not sure.
Son went with his grandpa a week or 2 ago. Just missed a turkey. I have always been taught you eat what you kill, and still believe that. So if he kills a senceless squrill. He better eat it. I learned the hard way and shot a blue bird when i was a kid, nasty. Never done it again. lol

Wow Nice pics. Good job guys. Question though, You guys shoot allot of doe's. Why? Maybe we just cant in Cali or maybe thats how i was always taught? not sure.
Son went with his grandpa a week or 2 ago. Just missed a turkey. I have always been taught you eat what you kill, and still believe that. So if he kills a senceless squrill. He better eat it. I learned the hard way and shot a blue bird when i was a kid, nasty. Never done it again. lol

Well, for one shooting does is part of the right way to manage a herd. Two, you cant eat a rack, venison is venison whether its a buck or not, and Three, I have permits to use up. :thumblef:

The same here in Arkansas, one buck two doe.
Our population is heavy and we will get a extra gun hunt this year.
I like the young one's "doe's" I hunt for the tender meat and make dear burger and loins, I mix in 75% venison 25% sausage for a great chilly mix or just a good hamburger. First gun season starts this week end and I will be throwing slugs in the woods here at the house.

Thanks for sharing you pets Pine Tree Mopar and they do look nice and healthy. It is nice to watch them and enjoy giving them a safe place to eat and if things get ruff you have a fresh supply at your back door.

If you hunt all five regions in Maryland and limit out with black powder, bow, rifle, and shotgun you end up with 30+ legal deer per season.

All Live Realese. In 25 Years Of Cathing Muskies I Have Kept None. I Am Headed Out This Saturday For A Weeks Of Fall Muskie Fishing.

Please, please, please come and hunt deer up here in Goffstown, New Hampshire! We have so many of the blasted things we are practically tripping over them! I can't drive over 30 MPH at night or risk a collision. Deer vs. Duster, not good.

-LY

Please, please, please come and hunt deer up here in Goffstown, New Hampshire! We have so many of the blasted things we are practically tripping over them! I can't drive over 30 MPH at night or risk a collision. Deer vs. Duster, not good.

-LY
The same here!! My cousin hit a big buck on his way to the hospital two nights ago and his rumble bee truck will need a new fender ,door and front bumper skin and head light assemble.:sad11:

Went this morning, on the way to my stand I walked headon into a 10 point, he caught me in the field but I did get a shot off and shot under it....then I worked the standing corn and put 3 doe out to my kid, too far for an arrow, and I hit a doe...tracked her thru a 1/4 mile of corn...lost the trail when she broke into a field. She either kept going or one of the road hunters picked her up out of the field....which happens all to damn much around here. I'm gonna take a lunch break and go back out....last day til rifle in three weeks.

Dave

-
Back